Bruce Pearl - Hot Seat?

22,874 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag_EE_88
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Auburn just got waxed by almost 40 points to Tennessee. They finished in 13th place. Pearl's incoming recruiting class is decent, but not great. Will he be on the hot seat in 2017 in his third year, or does he get four years no matter what?
wacarnolds
AG
He's done a bad job so far at Auburn. Not sure they could hire anyone better though, so I don't think his seat is hot until year 4.
mhayden
Auburn hasn't been relevant in well over a decade -- they are going to give Bruce Pearl more than 3 years assuming no violations.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Auburn hasn't been relevant in well over a decade -- they are going to give Bruce Pearl more than 3 years assuming no violations.

He's not recruiting how I expected. His 2016 class is decent, but not great. Howland is bringing in a lot more talent than Pearl at this point.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:

He's not recruiting how I expected. His 2016 class is decent, but not great. Howland is bringing in a lot more talent than Pearl at this point.

#4 class in SEC 2015
#3 class in SEC 2016
#1 class in SEC 2017

Has two 5 stars and two 4 stars committed
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

#4 class in SEC 2015
#3 class in SEC 2016
#1 class in SEC 2017

Has two 5 stars and two 4 stars committed

The 2015 class was 17th nationally before they lost Purifoy. That ended up being a fringe Top 25 class. The 2016 class is No. 22 with only one prospect in the Top 100 nationally. Like I said, for what is expected of Bruce Pearl in recruiting, he's doing a decent job, but not a great job.
LeFraud
quote:
quote:

Only on texags is the 22nd ranked class in the country just "decent". Do you have any idea about the program he inherited? Tony Barbee was Melvin Watkins, except Auburn recognized he was a loser after only 4 years (instead of 6 for Watkins).
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Only on texags is the 22nd ranked class in the country just "decent". Do you have any idea about the program he inherited? Tony Barbee was Melvin Watkins, except Auburn recognized he was a loser after only 4 years (instead of 6 for Watkins).
By Pearl's standards, recruiting fringe Top 25 classes in solid, but everybody expected him to do what Howland is doing at MSU in recruiting.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
By Pearl's standards, recruiting fringe Top 25 classes in solid, but everybody expected him to do what Howland is doing at MSU in recruiting.

It's ludicrous to suggest he would be on the hot seat, in part, because of recruiting. Auburn has never recruited raw talent like this, as far as I can tell.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who is everyone? Pearl wasn't landing top class after top class at Tennessee.
LeFraud
In six seasons at Tennessee, Pearl signed 3 classes that were top 25. In two seasons at Auburn he's signed 2 top 25 classes...at AUBURN!
LeFraud
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As usual, Hop hasn't researched much on the topic...par for the course.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since you constantly mock the TexAgs community, feel free to find a better Aggie basketball board that fits your high intellect.
Method Man
I think rankings are probably more accurate now but he never did have many five stars at UTn IIRC. His first two seasons have sucked though.
W
AG
Pearl's bark is much, much louder than his bite
Method Man
quote:
Pearl's bark is much, much louder than his bite

What does this even mean?
mallen
AG
Pearl's loss to Tennessee tonight was the worst in the past 10+ years for Auburn and worse than any loss experienced by his predecessor Barbee.
The Collective
AG
Is TheFraud going to catch a ban over Bruce Pearl on a Wednesday night?
LeFraud
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since you constantly mock the TexAgs community, feel free to find a better Aggie basketball board that fits your high intellect.
And yet your snide comments are acceptable?
Method Man
quote:
Pearl's loss to Tennessee tonight was the worst in the past 10+ years for Auburn and worse than any loss experienced by his predecessor Barbee.

When you point stuff out like this it makes me remember our UNT loss and South Carolina losses in year 3.
Expert Analysis
AG
Lefraud really brining it on this thread!

I think pearl may be lowering the bar so he can show improvent in years 3 through 5....
LeFraud
quote:
Bcg lost at texas by 35...Watkins never did that. Watkins also won at texas, bcg never did that.
ryanhnc10
AG
I appreciate Hops willingness to start actual topics for discussion on the board. In this instance however, LeFraud made a valid couple of points about Pearls past recruiting. He could have done it more tactfully but his point is still valid
mallen
AG
quote:
quote:
Bcg lost at texas by 35...Watkins never did that. Watkins also won at texas, bcg never did that.
Gillispie or Barbee never had 2 consecutive 20 loss seasons like Pearl has had so far at Auburn.
bobinator
AG
I don't think he could do anything to get fired next year unless they just absolutely implode.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
You guys sure are talking down a guy who a couple years ago was proclaimed a sure fire instant impact coach that TAMU let slip by. No one would have guessed he would put up back to back crappy seasons back then despite the roster he inherited.
mikesyracuse1
Not anywhere near a hot seat.

mikesyracuse1
salvatore_ditmars
two people got spanked unexpectedly tonite, bruce pearl and ______
unmade bed
Lol at this thread. Some of you guys (leFraud) need to learn to pick your battles.

To answer the question, Pearl is not on the hot seat.

Auburn had a bad season and after several injuries they obviously had a few guys mail it in on the season. I agree that aspect reflects poorly on Pearl but these still aren't all "his" guys. They still got wins over Kentucky and Alabama this year.

Pearl is recruiting fine and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Auburn in top half of SEC next year and top 5 in the SEC in year 4. That said, if they have another 20 loss season next year, his seat will be warm form 2017-18.

In my opinion AJ and Howland were better hires than Pearl. Pearl had a couple of decent runs at Tennessee, but he's not like a top 20 NCAA coach or anything.
NyAggie
AG
We gave BK plenty of time and I honk would be wise to do the same with Pearl

Auburn isn't a place where they can just fire basketball coaches and cherry pick from the best to get a new one

Let pearl have some time and I think he gets it done
Tango Mike
quote:
Lol at this thread. Some of you guys (leFraud) need to learn to pick your battles.

Auburn had a bad season and after several injuries they obviously had a few guys mail it in on the season. I agree that aspect reflects poorly on Pearl but these still aren't all "his" guys. They still got wins over Kentucky and Alabama this year.

Pearl is recruiting fine and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Auburn in top half of SEC next year and top 5 in the SEC in year 4. That said, if they have another 20 loss season next year, his seat will be warm form 2017-18.

In my opinion AJ and Howland were better hires than Pearl. Pearl had a couple of decent runs at Tennessee, but he's not like a top 20 NCAA coach or anything.

What battles should Fraud pick? It was Sandhop that got pants'd in this thread

Pearl is good, he had a really "decent" career at Tennessee
Method Man
quote:

its looking that way right now, but AJ had zero college coaching experience and Howland needed seven NBA players and two NBA all stars to make the final four. I like all three and would've liked to see one of them (especially AJ) coaching the Ags.
mdanyc03
AG
It is hard to over state how poorly coached auburn has looked this year. They don't do anything right.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As usual, Hop hasn't researched much on the topic...par for the course.
Are you as condescending to people in your daily life as you are on TexAgs?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
and it wouldn't surprise me if he has Auburn in top half of SEC next year and top 5 in the SEC in year 4

Out of Howland, Mike White, Pearl, Avery, Barnes, etc., obviously not all of these new coaches are going to be able to raise their program to top-half in the SEC conference standings. Every time a game is played somebody has to lose and they are playing against each other.

Of those new guys, right now I think I like Howland's short-term outlook (next 1-2 seasons) the best.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.