Bruce Pearl - Hot Seat?

22,850 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag_EE_88
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
"Ride Hop like a new bride..."

Peace for Ukraine!
Mike Elko
AG
Gonads23 said:

Pearl has got to be cheating but who cares, he's in the final 4.
Bingo. One of the slimiest coaches around, but the Final Four is all that matters.
Baby Billy
AG
War Eagle!
_lefraud_
AG
Auburn is ranked #1 in the AP for the first time in school history.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Auburn fans had to endure 3 straight years of finishing bottom-4 in conference and presumably many ready to cut bait by the middle of that Year 3, but that is all water under the bridge and everybody now happy as punch.
TXAggie2011
AG
"The Hop Years" were a **** show I both miss terribly and don't miss at all
nu awlins ag
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

"The Hop Years" were a **** show I both miss terribly and don't miss at all

Is he gone?

Pearl is a good coach, he has done under the table stuff in the past or it has been reported that he has but always fields a competitive team.
Hop
Staff
AG
I asked five years ago if a high profile coach who was 22 games under .500 in the SEC after three years would be on the hot seat the next season. That's all.

Pearl has obviously turned it around, but it's not unreasonable to ask if a 16-38 high profile and controversial coach would be on the hot seat the following year?

If Buzz Williams was 22 games under .500 at the end of this year, there would be a lot of heat from fans and pundits? Buzz was four games under.500 in the SEC before this season and there was a lot of grumbling from posters here and in the fanbase…and he had fewer expectations than Pearl going to Auburn.

Since some posters on this thread brought up Frank Martin, care to discuss his current situation…one NCAA in 10 seasons?

Bunk Moreland
He mad
Tamuco99
Bunk Moreland said:

He mad
BIG mad...by the way, how many Final Fours did Howland reach with all that lights out recruiting?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Since some posters on this thread brought up Frank Martin, care to discuss his current situation…one NCAA in 10 seasons?

Hop, would love another go around on Frank Martin between you and (I think) Lefraud.

I think you'd finally have a decent shot to win that debate this year. I can't imagine anyone at this point would be arguing pro-Martin at South Carolina with 1 NCAA bid in 10 seasons. Even with that single NCAA bid being a Final Four appearance.
bobinator
AG
You talking about TexAgs Hall of Fame Coach Frank Martin?
_lefraud_
AG
My issue is that Hop (and others) would/will probably argue Kennedy had a better stint/run at A&M than Martin has had at South Carolina...which is just absolutely crazy to me.
bobinator
AG
Hm, that's an interesting debate. Not sure where I fall on that.
_lefraud_
AG
Well it essentially comes down to this:

2 S16
Co-Champion

vs

Final Four

They both had roughly the same league record from 2013-2019. On average, they finished 7th/8th in the league. Martin was 5-4 against Kennedy during that span.

TXAggie2011
AG
For ****s and giggles...

The Final Four run is the type of memory that in 10+ years, will still put a smile on your face in a way I'm not sure we're going to get from the Sweet 16 runs, as cool as the UNI win was.

I don't know where their RPI was, but the 2019-2020 South Carolina team had some good wins and maybe got Covid-ed as far as the NCAA tournament goes.

Plus, Frank Martin thumped Kennedy in his final game as an A&M coach at Reed Arena.
bobinator
AG
Nah, they weren't going to make it in 2020.

I think I agree the Final Four run is better. I have to try and imagine what that week leading up to the Final Four would have been like and how we've never experienced anything like that.

But to only reach the tournament once in ten years is bad.

Also, he's looking rough these days.
mikesyracuse1
Just glancing quickly through this thread, I realize how many regular posters are no longer active on this board. Some I wish would come back, others not so much. Ha

Mikesyracuse1
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Well it essentially comes down to this:

2 S16
Co-Champion

vs

Final Four

They both had roughly the same league record from 2013-2019. On average, they finished 7th/8th in the league. Martin was 5-4 against Kennedy during that span.

So you answered your own question. It's not crazy to compare the two tenures. They were about the same. It amazes me that Martin is still surviving off that one season in 2017.

With Huggins at KSU and then the subsequent years as head coach, he had some recruiting momentum and could get some talent. It seemed that the further away he got from his days with Huggins, his recruiting really tailed off for whatever reason. Whatever the case, he hasn't been a factor on the national scene in the 10 years at USCe, minus the 2017 Final Four run as a No. 7 seed.

frenchtoast
Martin is terrible. Texags likes him because he has crazy eyes and yells.
_lefraud_
AG
It's clear you don't even read posts, or your reading comprehension is just very poor.

I said you (and others) would argue that Kennedy's tenure at A&M was better...which is in fact, CRAZY
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

It's clear you don't even read posts, or your reading comprehension is just very poor.

I said you (and others) would argue that Kennedy's tenure at A&M was better...which is in fact, CRAZY

I read fine, and I also have a good memory. This whole Frank Martin thing started years ago when posters laughed at the notion that Martin had not done enough to warrant the reverence he was getting by them when in fact his track record at USCe was very pedestrian.

As you did in this exchange, you have this fantasy that I'm a Kennedy lover. But when a bunch of posters are beating their chests that Frank Martin is some coaching savant, just mentioning that Martin is no better than Kennedy suddenly made me a BK lover for life.

I said from day one the university should have immediately started looking for a new coach when he was diagnosed. But you have a narrative to uphold.
_lefraud_
AG
The Frank Martin saga is all detailed here...LINK

In short, you believed that Frank Martin should have been on the hot seat after his third year. Yet, you didn't believe the same for Kennedy in his third year, when they were essentially identically after 3 years...same with Pearl after his third year.

Just another example where you were deflecting what was going on in Aggieland with Kennedy, by trying to show other (good) coaches were having their own problems early in their respective tenures. Yet, you didn't do the same with Kennedy, you've just been moving goal posts ever since you came on board in 2014.

In Spring 2015 (third year) you thought Martin's seat should be hot, in 2017 he made the Final Four
In Spring 2016 (third year) you thought Pearl's seat should be hot, in 2019 he made the Final Four

Ags #1
AG
He got paid!!!!!
TXAggie2011
AG
Bruce Pearl's seat is decidedly cold
LawHall88
AG
Frank Martin is an interesting case study on how much one big year (really 2, although he only made the NCAA tourney one) can extend the coaching career. Martin is now in his 10th season at South Carolina. His best two seasons were the 2015-16 (25-9) and 2016-17 (26-11, Final Four) where he went a combined 51-20. The other 8 seasons, including this season, his record is a cumulative 114-120. Since the Final Four appearance, he's 69-66.

At what point do you decide that two year stretch was an anomaly, and he is very unlikely to repeat it?
phatty26
_lefraud_ said:

The Frank Martin saga is all detailed here...LINK

In short, you believed that Frank Martin should have been on the hot seat after his third year. Yet, you didn't believe the same for Kennedy in his third year, when they were essentially identically after 3 years...same with Pearl after his third year.

Just another example where you were deflecting what was going on in Aggieland with Kennedy, by trying to show other (good) coaches were having their own problems early in their respective tenures. Yet, you didn't do the same with Kennedy, you've just been moving goal posts ever since you came on board in 2014.

In Spring 2015 (third year) you thought Martin's seat should be hot, in 2017 he made the Final Four
In Spring 2016 (third year) you thought Pearl's seat should be hot, in 2019 he made the Final Four
Billy Kennedy was an awful coach

phatty26
Glad we kept Kennedy we didn't need a Bruce pearl
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

Frank Martin is an interesting case study on how much one big year (really 2, although he only made the NCAA tourney one) can extend the coaching career. Martin is now in his 10th season at South Carolina. His best two seasons were the 2015-16 (25-9) and 2016-17 (26-11, Final Four) where he went a combined 51-20. The other 8 seasons, including this season, his record is a cumulative 114-120. Since the Final Four appearance, he's 69-66.

At what point do you decide that two year stretch was an anomaly, and he is very unlikely to repeat it?
OK, 115-120 and 70-66. Damnit.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Thanks for digging this thread up. I forgot Pearl had been at auburn this long. Should remind everyone to have some patience.
Ag_EE_88
AG
LawHall88 said:

LawHall88 said:

OK, 115-120 and 70-66. Damnit.

1 bad year after sweet 16 so I'll say a final 4 should get you 2-3 more at the most

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.