Areas of concern going into the '15-'16 basketball season

8,944 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
JeffHamilton82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
My only concern is Kennedy. This is a 4-7 seed team we have and I'm worried we barely slide in and lose the first game...because of him. Bruce Pearl would have this team in sweet 16 elite 8 range.

This team is not a top 20 team due to the talented fish being inexperienced. This is a 6-10 seed, not a 4-7 seed.
greg.w.h
AG
There ain't no next year with this coach. Only this year.
Aston04
AG
Jeff- we really arent that young for a power conf school. We have 3 senior starters. We return everyone but 1 solid post and 1 below average wing.
Ben Diamond
hypothetical, excluding BK disease, who gets the better job if out on the street right now, BK or Frank?
GE
AG
I don't think either gets offered a good job TBH. Don't know who gets the better job.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
Jeff- we really arent that young for a power conf school. We have 3 senior starters. We return everyone but 1 solid post and 1 below average wing.
Only 1 of those seniors has a lot of talent. This is not a top 20 team and no one should expect us to be ranked in the top 20. And to put it in perspective I think we have finished in the top 20 once in over 100 years of playing basketball. So it shouldn't be expected for us to be top 20. Which is why I said 6-10 seed, not 4-7.

I'm excited as anybody about the incoming class. But we have to keep in perspective that yes these fish are most of the talent on our team, but they are still fish.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Only 1 of those seniors has a lot of talent. This is not a top 20 team and no one should expect us to be ranked in the top 20. And to put it in perspective I think we have finished in the top 20 once in over 100 years of playing basketball. So it shouldn't be expected for us to be top 20. Which is why I said 6-10 seed, not 4-7.

I'm excited as anybody about the incoming class. But we have to keep in perspective that yes these fish are most of the talent on our team, but they are still fish.
we have top-20 odds (#19 to be exact) to win the championship, according to Vegas.
LeFraud
Professor Hamilton is my favorite kind of aggie. Don't expect better because of our past. Yet, those type aggies truly believe the football team is just around the corner of winning a title, never mind THAT history.
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
Professor Hamilton is my favorite kind of aggie. Don't expect better because of our past. Yet, those type aggies truly believe the football team is just around the corner of winning a title, never mind THAT history.
Good point LeFraud. I hereby amend my comment:

There is no last year. There is no next year. For our basketball team there is ONLY this year. Every single game should be evaluated by whether it improves or decreases our likelihood for making the NCAA tournament and what seed it seems likely we would receive. A seed below 7 puts us on the path for a collision with #1 and an ouster before the Sweet Sixteen. It should be considered an F if it occurs.

A 7 equates roughly to a national ranking--combination of polls and RPI--of 28 or under. That is the bright line of bare acceptability. Or perhaps we should call it bearable acceptability. Everyone get your checks ready to write if we don't reach that.
Tango Mike
quote:
quote:
An offensive system is only as good as the players you have running it. Why can't anyone tell me who our scoring threats were other than House last year?
I'm going to lean on an edge-of-the-bell-curve example here, but whatever.

Danny Green was on the Cavs the year after James left for the Heat. That Cavs team was putrid and won maybe 15 games out of 82. Danny Green still managed to get cut from that squad. The Spurs signed him, coached him up and worked him into the offense, and a few years later he set the NBA Finals record for most three pointers made.

Looking at players who haven't been coached to run an offense and saying "not one of them is an offensive threat!" is circuitous rationalization for bad coaching. If you set a person up to fail, and then the person fails, it doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a loser. It simply means that you set him up to fail.

Roberson could have been a scoring threat. Jalen Jones could have been a threat. Alex Robinson came on strong toward the end of the year and could have been a threat.
You don't even need an edge-of-the-distribution example. We have our own local example in Josh Carter.

In 2007, Josh Carter hit 50% of this threes. The next three years he hovered around 38-40%. Did he suddenly forget how to shoot as well? No. In Gillispie's inside-out/high-low offense, Carter was regularly standing still with nobody around him. In Turgeon's "motion" offense, Carter suddenly had to shoot off of screens and off the bounce. Carter's talent didn't drop, but the system did not maximize his skill set the way the previous system did.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
An offensive system is only as good as the players you have running it. Why can't anyone tell me who our scoring threats were other than House last year?

I love when people bring this up, as it highlights the absurdity of retaining Kennedy after year 3.

Because up until he received a huge gift from the NCAA in the form of Danuel House, this was the lineup he was prepared to trot out in year 4

Alex Robinson
Jordan Green
Alex Caruso
Jalen Jones
Kourtney Roberson
----------
Peyton Allen
Davonte Fitzgerald
Tony Trocha
Dylan Johns

Does that team win 15 games?
Method Man
quote:
quote:
My only concern is Kennedy. This is a 4-7 seed team we have and I'm worried we barely slide in and lose the first game...because of him. Bruce Pearl would have this team in sweet 16 elite 8 range.

This team is not a top 20 team due to the talented fish being inexperienced. This is a 6-10 seed, not a 4-7 seed.

Four senior starters. If they're not talented enough, then Kennedy shouldn't have taken them.
Method Man
Also a seven seed would mean top 28 in value, right?

Go look at Turgeon's seven seed from a few years ago for comparison on talent/experience with BJ Holmes and Walkup seniors.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Kennedy has had much better players. I think Martin finally has a solid roster. Loaded at guard.

Andrew Young, Jordan Green, Jared Johns, and Blake McDonald say "thank you".
JeffHamilton82
quote:
quote:
quote:

Four senior starters. If they're not talented enough, then Kennedy shouldn't have taken them.

LOL, so the Aggie BB coach should only take players who can be a top 20 team??? Let's see, I think we have finished in the top 20 a grand total of one time in over 100 years of playing basketball.

Maroon Dawn
AG
BK will disappoint yet again.

Pumpers will remind us that 5 years is the MINIMUM before you can expect a chance at going to the Dance.
GE
AG
quote:
BK will disappoint yet again.

Pumpers will remind us that 5 years is the MINIMUM before you can expect a chance at going to the Dance.
Do you expect us to miss the NCAA tournament this season?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Much like Life, BK will find a way.
GE
AG
quote:
Bet me.
LeFraud
quote:
quote:
Bet me.

You'll put too many parameters on your sure fire bet.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bet me.

You'll put too many parameters on your sure fire bet.
How about straight up. I say he'll make it. If you say he won't then bet me.
Ben Diamond
Billy Kennedy in the NCAA tourney isn't something you see very much if ever, wonder why.
LeFraud
I'll take the bet, it's a win win for everybody.

If I win, I win
If I lose, I get to see the Ags in the field
If I lose, you win
If I lose, kennedy gets an extension

$100 straight up, loser must pay to charity of my choosing.
GE
AG
You're on. I like seeing people donate to charity.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
In a recent interview on the radio it was reported that Thomas is at about 250 lbs and Tyler Davis at about 265 lbs, which I think means either of those guys would have been the biggest player on our team last season (bigger mass/frame than Kourtney). These two guys do not look like skinny beanpoles coming in who will need time to bulk up as Dylan Johns and Trocha have needed. They will be freshman with freshman mistakes, and Thomas in particular seems to be someone to watch regarding conditioning, but both Davis and Thomas already are some pretty big boys.

Yea no comparison to Johns and Trocha. Thomas and Davis will need to adjust to the speed of the game like any fish, but physically, these guys are ready to hold down the fort in the paint.
GE
AG
Yeah Hogg is really the only one out of the freshman class that needs to fill out, which is super rare.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
In a recent interview on the radio it was reported that Thomas is at about 250 lbs and Tyler Davis at about 265 lbs, which I think means either of those guys would have been the biggest player on our team last season (bigger mass/frame than Kourtney). These two guys do not look like skinny beanpoles coming in who will need time to bulk up as Dylan Johns and Trocha have needed. They will be freshman with freshman mistakes, and Thomas in particular seems to be someone to watch regarding conditioning, but both Davis and Thomas already are some pretty big boys.

Yea no comparison to Johns and Trocha. Thomas and Davis will need to adjust to the speed of the game like any fish, but physically, these guys are ready to hold down the fort in the paint.
Davis and Thomas are both bigger than a House!!!!!

jml2621
quote:
quote:

I love when people bring this up, as it highlights the absurdity of retaining Kennedy after year 3.

Because up until he received a huge gift from the NCAA in the form of Danuel House, this was the lineup he was prepared to trot out in year 4

Alex Robinson
Jordan Green
Alex Caruso
Jalen Jones
Kourtney Roberson
----------
Peyton Allen
Davonte Fitzgerald
Tony Trocha
Dylan Johns

Does that team win 15 games?

On the money.

I had predicted 15-16 wins in regular season...and jacked it to 22 wins when House became available.
jml2621
24-25 wins and a 7 seed is reachable. We'll see.
jml2621
quote:
quote:
quote:

Davis and Thomas are both bigger than a House!!!!!

Well played.
GE
AG
LeFraud said:

I'll take the bet, it's a win win for everybody.

If I win, I win
If I lose, I get to see the Ags in the field
If I lose, you win
If I lose, kennedy gets an extension

$100 straight up, loser must pay to charity of my choosing.
So i was looking for an old thread and came upon this. Time to pay up. Bet was that the Aggies would make the NCAA tournament in the '15/'16 season and LeFraud bet they wouldn't.
TangoMike
good to see Sandhop on his Frank Martin sandbox. Paid to troll
TXAggie2011
AG
As far as Frank Martin goes, I actually see GE in a little deeper on that, at least as far as this thread goes:

Quote:

I think a better question is how long will it take Frank Martin to figure out Billy Kennedy. 1-3 with an average margin of loss of 12 points is not very good. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict Martin is fired before he beats Kennedy again.

Frank Martin beat A&M last year, in College Station and he beat A&M this year in Columbia. And last year was with the inferior team, I think folks would say.

Frank Martin is 2-0 since GE's prediction. Good thing for him that wasn't a bet, I suppose.

Seems like Frank Martin figured out Kennedy.
Double Diamond
Oh my Frank Martin. If the trolls could just come out and say that Big Frank is better than Kennedy this whole thing could come to an end. Such a silly game they keep playing.
jml2621
jml2621 said:

Quote:

If you have to have two head coaches do you have a problem? Every time Kennedy has more options he seems to get caught in a web of crazy rotations. Less has always been more for BK, in regards to rotation numbers. Game moves to fast for BK to react quickly enough during games. We saw last year Kennedy stubbornly take back control from Stansbury, this won't continue? Kennedy doesn't employee a fast tempo our aggressive defense so 12/13 man rotations seem pointless. Youth at key spots. House start worrying about his draft prospects and press or free lance? And the biggest reason is history, have we not watched Billy Kennedy work?

Last season went south in this manner after Vandy.

Let the Associate HC do his job, and this season will yield dividends. If not...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.