Areas of concern going into the '15-'16 basketball season

8,928 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
sincereag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An offensive system is only as good as the players you have running it. Why can't anyone tell me who our scoring threats were other than House last year?
Ben Diamond
I have no idea if we win. Kennedy seems to find away to fart a season away. Every year it's a new string of excuses, never his fault.
Method Man
Lack of good coaching killed us. Auburn and Bama suck and both had players missing.
Ben Diamond
Who were Alabamas and Auburns and Louisiana Techs? I mean come on man get in the game. These aren't good teams Kennedy lost too. Tech was ok, and White is a darn good coach. But Grant is about to be fired and flung Kennedy around like a rag doll all afternoon. Beat the man like a rented mule! How do you lose games like that?
Method Man
quote:
An offensive system is only as good as the players you have running it. Why can't anyone tell me who our scoring threats were other than House last year?

Year four and House was a longshot to get cleared. Why can't you answer why we didn't have more scoring threats? Also, a good coach beats a depleted Bama at home and Auburn in the SECT. Guys look better when they have a real system and a confident coach. Our guys choke and shrivel for the most part.
Ben Diamond
At some point a good coach can beat bad teams even with an injury.
Ben Diamond
Our players play like the man they play for. Looking for an excuse as they wilt in tight games or when things get tough. Gillispie gave his teams here swagger and confidence, you could feel Gillispie controlling things from the bench. I often wonder if Kennedy is even on the bench during games. No swagger, doesn't seem confident. Seems confessed and in over his head.
sincereag
We have the players now. I agree BK was slow to recruit the talent through first 4 years. We had some setbacks as everyone knows, and I agree there are no excuses left. But when analysing why we crumbled at the end last year it was evident we lacked scoring depth.
Ben Diamond
Kennedy has had more than enough. These players can't coach themselves. Can't wait for next years line of excuses. It's like a broken record every off season. Needs more talent, has more talent know. It's never enough talent, or is it coaching?
Ben Diamond
Harris and Young will fix Kennedy. Wait it's AC and Reese. Wait it'll be Jones. I know Space and Smith were both going to turn his coaching around, and then the Jones now and House and Robinson. It's such a long list I can't keep all the life savers straight.
sincereag
quote:
Kennedy has had more than enough. These players can't coach themselves. Can't wait for next years line of excuses. It's like a broken record every off season. Needs more talent, has more talent know. It's never enough talent, or is it coaching?

Can you read? You don't answer my questions and misquote me.
Ben Diamond
We didn't lack anything last year to beat Alabama and Auburn. Well coaching Aggies still lack that.
Ben Diamond
I read you fine. I've watched this song and dance every year. Hope springs internal, new recruits who can coach themselves. How do you explain Kennedy's lackluster career? Not enough scoring?
sincereag
Great analysis. We had a team last year that should have beaten Bama and Auburn without House. OK I'll take you word for it.
Method Man
quote:
Great analysis. We had a team last year that should have beaten Bama and Auburn without House. OK I'll take you word for it.

You should. Auburn and Bama were road kill last year and they outcoached us to wins. You live in College Station don't you. You've probably met the HC or an asst.
Ben Diamond
I've know read it all. It's not a coaching problem because you can't beat two scrub teams. One of them had a coach about to be fired, that's how bad Alabama was. At least you can know Auburn gets that coaching is the most important element in winning in college hoops. That said its still pathetic Kennedy couldn't win that game.
sincereag
I live in Dallas. Never been to a game in CS under Kennedy. Just trying to be objective. I was pissed last year when we lost to those teams you mention and agree there's no excuse. But objectively we lacked scoring depth. Caruso is the one player I wish BK would develop more as a scorer. Good arguments all around by everyone. Peace.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
It seems like you are agreeing with me. If we have House we beat those teams and go to the tourney. Lack of depth killed us last year after he went down. This year we'll have Gilder and Allen will be more experienced. Caruso may be able to contribute more as a scorer with more point guards.
You're mistaken. I am not agreeing with you.

Let me put it another way. We had enough talent to beat Alabama at home and Auburn anywhere, even without House. The problem was that Kennedy didn't bother to develop an offensive system all season long. Instead, we ran the "let's give the ball to House and see what happens" offense. So yes when House went down it all went to hell, but that's only because Kennedy didn't do his job all year long. We should have been able to absorb the loss of one player, even though he was our best one.
Method Man
Love you, sincere ag. Sorry to question an Aggie brother. Just saying all teams have deficits and it's just excuses. If you can be up 15 or up 11 at HT on bama and auburn you have enough talent to win.
Pumpkinhead
AG
It was inexcusable to not beat Bama even without House. We were at home, our season was on the line, and we even had a 14 point lead at halftime and then folded like a cheap suit in the second half.

That said, I still think we mostly likely make the NCAA tourney next season.

Ben Diamond
The Billy Kennedy era is a long drawn out nightmare. Watching that Gillispie coached game only brought this to light more. You won't see a Kennedy coached team control games with up in your face defense. It'll be passive, sagging and sort of like him. Might work ok, but it'll break when push comes to shove, you won't see guys diving on the floor, why Kennedy doesn't demand it. Kennedy will just walk away and go find some more players. It's an evil cycle.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
I'm going to lean on an edge-of-the-bell-curve example here, but whatever.

Danny Green was on the Cavs the year after James left for the Heat. That Cavs team was putrid and won maybe 15 games out of 82. Danny Green still managed to get cut from that squad. The Spurs signed him, coached him up and worked him into the offense, and a few years later he set the NBA Finals record for most three pointers made.

Looking at players who haven't been coached to run an offense and saying "not one of them is an offensive threat!" is circuitous rationalization for bad coaching. If you set a person up to fail, and then the person fails, it doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a loser. It simply means that you set him up to fail.

Roberson could have been a scoring threat. Jalen Jones could have been a threat. Alex Robinson came on strong toward the end of the year and could have been a threat.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
We have the players now. I agree BK was slow to recruit the talent through first 4 years. We had some setbacks as everyone knows, and I agree there are no excuses left. But when analysing why we crumbled at the end last year it was evident we lacked scoring depth.
Wrong. Other than House, what we lacked were players who, without coaching, were able to take over games by themselves. And the truth is many teams don't have 1 guy like that on their rosters, much less 2. They get by with a good system that puts each player in a position to succeed based on his own strengths. The dead-eye 3 point shooter gets open looks. The low post bruiser gets passes near the basket when he's single-teamed. That sort of thing.

You don't need a complete roster to make the tournament.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
The Billy Kennedy era is a long drawn out nightmare.

The coaching has been questionable. On the glass half full side, The recruiting the last year since Stansbury was hired has been outstanding and one of the most interesting times that I have ever had following A&M basketball recruiting. Has been a mixed bag for me personally.
Deputy Travis Junior
Yea it's hard to complain about the recruiting.

If Stansbury could just get a bit more input, this weird setup we've got could probably work.
Ben Diamond
These players will be wasted. Will be years farther down the road wondering what could've been.
sincereag
Deputy -Very good points about Jalen, Roberson and Robinson being capable scoring threats. With more scoring options this year, I hope Kennedy develops a system that doesn't rely on House so much. It worked for the most part when he was healthy (he should have gotten ball at end of Arkansas game).
sincereag
quote:
These players will be wasted. Will be years farther down the road wondering what could've been.

Ok. I'll take your word for it. I've already written these players off.
LeFraud
If depth was an issue last year, then a scholarship probably shouldn't have been used on a guy that had no other offers, and that is no longer here.
Method Man
Kennedy won't develop anything. Stansbury will have to have a bigger role for us to move forward. If he leaves, we are back to awful instead of bubble. This thread really brought me back to the reality of the situation.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Kennedy won't develop anything. Stansbury will have to have a bigger role for us to move forward. If he leaves, we are back to awful instead of bubble. This thread really brought me back to the reality of the situation.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Deputy -Very good points about Jalen, Roberson and Robinson being capable scoring threats. With more scoring options this year, I hope Kennedy develops a system that doesn't rely on House so much. It worked for the most part when he was healthy (he should have gotten ball at end of Arkansas game).
I'm not sure he's much of an offensive system guy. Under Kennedy, we've relied very heavily on iso work to generate points.

Anyway, I'm mostly with you as I'm hoping that we've got the talent to make that approach work. It sorta did for Scott Drew back before he started doing actual coaching on the sidelines.
Ben Diamond
Kennedy: runs a perfect pick and Roll with Roberson rolling to the basket. Then we don't see this run for another five games. That sums Kennedy up. The man just doesn't have a good feel for coaching during a game.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Kennedy: runs a perfect pick and Roll with Roberson rolling to the basket. Then we don't see this run for another five games. That sums Kennedy up. The man just doesn't have a good feel for coaching during a game.

So, I am curious....assuming no injuries, are you predicting no NCAA bid next season? you think that We won't even get enough wins in that schedule to make it in sweaty palm style like LSU did last year?
Ben Diamond
I think the SEC will have a very poor league wide RPI. I think LSU got very lucky that the bottom was so poor and the committee completely ignored better small conference teams like Murray State. I mean do the eye ball test and tell me LSU was better. I guess the Aggies could slide in. But expecting the committee to again just ignore better teams in smaller conferences is a lot. That and the fact the SEC will be worse RPI wise. ACC, Big 12 and Big Ten look like they'll get a lot of teams. The PAC 12 is coming on with California joining the arms race to grab big recruits. The Big East has good talent. And guess what the AAC is going to be improved, Uconn is very much back in championship form, Cincinnati has lots of good players, SMU has Larry Brown. Not sure how many the SEC gets, bet it's less.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.