MSC Bookstore (Barnes and Noble) giving the Reed Rowdies problems this year...

10,212 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by The Shank Ag
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read most of this, and I'm not going to guess on policies, legal issues, and yada, yada, yada...

Turge wants attendance from students
Byrne wants attendance and concession sales from students
The athletic Dept. spends big $$ on promos, discounted tickets, and whatever to get butts in seats.....
The Reed Rowdies are all about support to accomplish all that I just stated above!Volunteers and no profit....therefore....
Look at all the Reed Rowdies signs out promoting the games!

Byrne, Turge, the Athletic dept., etc. should do everything they can to resolve this ASAP!
Let the Athletic Dept. furnish the t-shirts to students members of their support group! How about $1 off all concessions for anybody with a Reed Rowdy t-shirt too!Let them in 1.5 hrs before the game...get more excitement going, instead of finding every way possible to make it as difficult as possible to support our team!
logsatm04
Why would the AD care about an organization that claims anyone who shows up is a Reed Rowdy?

They don't have the pull to guarantee seats being full, BB or Turge aren't too concerned that the rowdies can sell those t-shirts since anyone can show up in white and participate in an Aggie Bball game.

They have more important things to think about.
Sandman23
AG
I am really glad that this thread is gathering so much attention and really hope some of the current officers are reading it. I know they are all pretty bummed/pissed/frustrated about the situation and I am sure they would appreciate knowing that they are getting some support.
Tobias Funke
AG
THIS IS MARCELLA COLBERT'S FAULT!!!
BQ_90
AG
I'd suggest that the Reed Rowdies set up a petition on their website opposing this and then see if you can get Turge to kick it up the chain or go straight to Loftin with it.

bigfoot10s
AG
Here:

quote:
If B&N don't want to play ball, the University needs to let everyone know why they can't allow this and I'm sure sales at the Bookstore and B&N would decrease dramatically until they stopped stifiling their largest customer base in College Station.

So, in essence, you are saying the university would tell everyone to stop buying from the bookstore.

Didn't Reed Rowdies try to negotiate with the bookstore on the shirts originally? From what I have heard, RR Wanted to sell them for $5, B&N wanted $7 because they were going to use their sources for production, and they had to cover costs. RR would have nothing of it, and talks stopped. Thats why the BS sold their own shirts cheaper than RR could.

JJxvi
AG
That doesn't exactly make much sense.

New Army lives at Reed Arena
JasonD2005
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 1 vote in support of this message.

Staff please sticky/publish, something. We need to stick it to the man on this one.
BQ_90
AG
put this on all the board too.

I've posted it on M&W and AO

LostInLA07
AG
quote:

Here:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If B&N don't want to play ball, the University needs to let everyone know why they can't allow this and I'm sure sales at the Bookstore and B&N would decrease dramatically until they stopped stifiling their largest customer base in College Station.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in essence, you are saying the university would tell everyone to stop buying from the bookstore.

Didn't Reed Rowdies try to negotiate with the bookstore on the shirts originally? From what I have heard, RR Wanted to sell them for $5, B&N wanted $7 because they were going to use their sources for production, and they had to cover costs. RR would have nothing of it, and talks stopped. Thats why the BS sold their own shirts cheaper than RR could.

Work on your reading comprehension...

I said the University needs to tell the Reed Rowdies WHY they cannot allow them to sell their shirts (B&N won't allow it, the University doesn't like it, etc.)

The result of the University not finding a way for the shirts to be sold would be a decrease in sales.
bigfoot10s
AG
How can the University not like it when they agreed to it? If they didnt want that in the contract, they should have negotiated it. Fact is, the University wanted B&N to be the official supplier of Aggie gear on campus, it helps them out too.

[This message has been edited by bigfoot10s (edited 11/20/2009 3:35p).]
nai06
AG
anyone emailed Loftin Yet?

he seems to respond fairly well
deadbq03
AG
The list of campus organizations that sell their own shirts on campus is HUGE.

I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I don't think the bookstore could stop you from selling on campus unless they plan on stopping every other organization that sell its own shirts on campus.
nai06
AG
^^^^^^
thats what I thought
bigfoot10s
AG
There are a lot of conditions that you must abide by to sell your organization shirts on campus. There can be a lot of redtape you have to get past before you can sell, as well.

If you want to sell on campus at a sporting event, you must have approval from the venue that it is being held at, for instance. Its a process to get the rights to do it.
McInnis 03
AG
Not sure if it will do much, but Turge reads tweets directed at him, and I linked him here for the story.
aggielostinETX
AG
bigfoot10s,
you are failing.
bdp514am
I'll bring this up to Miles. Perhaps the foundation can at least see that it gets brought to the attention of the proper officials
Ranger222
AG
bigfoot pretty much has it right
Ranger222
AG
bigfoot pretty much has it right
The Pilot
AG
quote:
There are a lot of conditions that you must abide by to sell your organization shirts on campus. There can be a lot of redtape you have to get past before you can sell, as well.

Getting a concessions permit, I don't recall ever having to anything else.
aggielostinETX
AG
maybe contact b and n here....

http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/our_company/customer_service/customer_service.html
SouthernRaisedYankee
TTT!

quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 2 vote in support of this message.
mts6175
AG
This makes me sick to my stomach. What the **** has our school turned into?
BlueAg2003
AG
Sounds like I won't be buying anything from the MSC bookstore until they stop being petty to student organizations that are trying to promote Aggies to basically be good Aggies. Good luck with this guys and gals.
Aston04
AG
Bigfoot- Just because perhaps the final decision is made somewhere else on this t-shirt selling practice, it doesn't mean the bookstore manager on the A&M campus doesn't have some sway with the corporate B&N people.

That's part of what the manager is there for... To be the "eyes and ears" on the ground- to at times adjust the franchise store to local practices, trends, etc.
hedges1
AG
Gone are the days when we did what we had to do and answered to authorities later.

We DID have people in the basketball office who helped us out...I'm betting there's still some peeps there that can make things happen.

MAN, this kinda S*** really pisses me off.

bigfoot10s
AG
What's funny is that the manager of the bookstore was never contacted about this until after this thread had started. If reed rowdies would just ask them for approval, they would get it. It seems that it will get handled in the next few days, so this will be a non issue.
yoshi
quote:
If reed rowdies would just ask them for approval, they would get it.

Are you the store manager? Have you directly contacted the manager and were told that yes they would approve this if they were merely asked?

Would you be able to provide us with a fact base for the conclusions that you have come to?

edit: grammar

[This message has been edited by yoshi (edited 11/21/2009 8:08p).]
bigfoot10s
AG
I am not the store manager, sorry to say. However, I do know for a fact that all they have to do is ask.

My basis for this is that I know a dept. manager at the bookstore, and when I mentioned this to them, they said they had never been contacted, nor had the manager been contacted. Numerous student organizations have asked for permission to sell shirts, and the vast majority of them received permission.
PedroJack07
AG
Store manger was never contacted because it wasn't the store manager telling them they couldn't sell shirts, it was a rep from A&M or athletics marketing or someone using the B&N contract as the reason.
evermoreAg
AG
I have posted twice on this subject on the Aggies Only thread.

First post:

Sounds to me like A&M didn't read their last contract with B&N very carefully, or if they claim they did read it, they screwed student organizations. Everything is negotiable and the person(s) responsible for the Barnes & Noble contract should be called on the carpet and asked to explain just why he/she/they should not be replaced.

Trust me, allowing student organizations to sell tee shirts at basketball games or in front of Koldus Building on football game days would not have been a deal breaker with Barnes & Noble. Yes, it affects their profit margin but it is already a lucrative deal for B&N and I seriously doubt they would walk away over student organization tees.

Second Post:

Let's see if I understand this: Basically, in 20 years time (I'm not sure how old the B&N contracts are, but say 20 years), Texas A&M has gone from having a campus bookstore that supported student organizations--that's where bookstore profits used to go, folks--to having an on-campus bookstore that screws student organizations.

Someone needs to fix this. Regents, Dr. Loftin, do you follow TexAgs?

B&N could probably prosper forever without my business but I usually do some Christmas shopping at their store on Texas Ave. Think I will buy from Amazon this year. And I couldn't blame students at all if they started a boycott.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Honestly, I think Bill Byrne could help you out with this. He'd have access to the right people once you told him the problem.

You may think he wouldn't care or this wouldn't be a big deal to him, but despite all the crap he's catching over football, he's really good about listening to anyone who wants to talk about fan support, student support, and support organizations. I've had a friend send him an e-mail about a much more trivial manner (if we could have a sign in Olsen). He not only met with him, he gave him a signed permission slip.

I think this would be a good route to take, and the best way to figure out what your options are. Byrne can give you some answers.
The Milkman
AG
donate 5 dollars for a free tshirt.

Not only would it be a successful loophole while you buy time to figure out how to take care of the bigger problem...it would also piss bookstore/B&N off. So thats neat
KPAG
AG
Explain the situation to Turge and Dollar Bill and see if they can help you get a waiver to sell the t-shirts inside Reed....My understanding is that Reed is not owned by A&M so the book store should NOT have any controll...

Do you take donations ??? I need official organization name and Adress ??? Who do you make the check payable to ???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.