MSC Bookstore (Barnes and Noble) giving the Reed Rowdies problems this year...

10,152 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by The Shank Ag
GI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Better to be safe than sorry and get in trouble with the NCAA

OOOOO

Trouble with the NCAA!

That's like getting censured by the UN.
wurmhole
AG
quote:
Well once white out became popular and the Rowdies had paid off the first order, we made a HUGE second order of shirts. Before these shirts even came in, the MSC Bookstore printed up white "Aggie Basketball" shirts, marketed them as the "Official White-Out Shirts" (which is crazy since we started that anyway) and sold them for, guess what, 5 dollars, inside the MSC bookstore. The Rowdies basically had no choice and we had to drop our price to 5 dollars.

This is the part that burns me up. Rowdies getting wal*mart'd out of business.
InTheZoneAg
AG
I love it when we do things that kill the marketing of our athletic programs, especially one that definitely needs more attention. Great stuff.
rcb05
AG
What about Class Council selling Maroon Out shirts? They sell thousands more of these on campus than Reed Rowdies sell for basketball. Why are they allowed to? If it gets to a point where you can even present an argument, I'd bring this up.
Tobias Funke
AG
Bob, have you spoken with Rob about this? Not sure how much pull he has, but he was always able to get stuff done for us back in the day. I wouldn't mind putting in a call to him if you'd like
Agsportsfan08
quote:
What about Class Council selling Maroon Out shirts? They sell thousands more of these on campus than Reed Rowdies sell for basketball. Why are they allowed to?

This
InTheZoneAg
AG
And while you're at it, ask whoever is in charge why our game isn't being streamed tonight considering it's a home game. I'm so sick of this.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
What about Class Council selling Maroon Out shirts? They sell thousands more of these on campus than Reed Rowdies sell for basketball. Why are they allowed to? If it gets to a point where you can even present an argument, I'd bring this up.

This was brought up in the "light the letters" thread as well. Maroon out shirts were sold before the contract with B&N was installed with the university. Therefore, they were "grandfathered in" and are still allowed to sell shirts because they did before it was against the policy.
Agsportsfan08
When was the B&N contract signed? I know the Rowdies have been selling shirts for a LONG time as well.
bigfoot10s
AG
Not completely sure. How long have the shirts been sold by the rowdies?
Agsportsfan08
2000, 2001? Maybe Bob or Tobias would have a better idea.
Tobias Funke
AG
That sounds about right. I got to A&M in 02 and there were already shirts at that point
BQ_90
AG
total effing bush league.

I'll never buy anything from them again.

EmberAggie
AG
Do the Reed Rowdies accept or receive donations?
Gradin
AG
Fight the power.
chris93
AG
Sell membership in the Reed Rowdies.

Every member gets a free shirt!
Mikeyshooter
AG
quote:
How long have the shirts been sold by the rowdies?

I think the "We scream louder than your mom" shirts were the first ones.

Like I said before, if someone comes up to you and says that you owe a fine of $100, laugh at them and don't pay it.
Expert Analysis
AG
good idea, or you can give them away for free to people who want to donate $5.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
total effing bush league.

I'll never buy anything from them again.

I'm telling you, it's not the bookstore. Not sure when you guys will figure that out. If the manager is telling you that you cant sell, its not coming from her. Sales at the store are down, so if they could make more money that easy, they would. It has to do with the contract. If you want to make a statement, go to the top and find the person that deals with the contract with B&N.

But you not buying your 3 cokes a year from them will show them.
JJxvi
AG
Maroon Out only predates Reed Rowdies shirts by a couple years at most. I believe my freshman year (1999) was the second maroon out year, and the Reed Rowdies shirts were around my sophomore year or so.

New Army lives at Reed Arena
LostInLA07
AG
The university can and should try to renegotiate the contract with B&N to allow student groups to sell A&M merchandise on campus. If B&N don't want to play ball, the University needs to let everyone know why they can't allow this and I'm sure sales at the Bookstore and B&N would decrease dramatically until they stopped stifiling their largest customer base in College Station.

Personally, I have always tried to purchase my Aggie merchandise from the MSC bookstore to support A&M, even though the prices are higher than what I would pay off campus. I won't be going back, though, until the University *at least* makes a public effort to "fix" this.

[This message has been edited by LostInLA07 (edited 11/20/2009 10:11a).]
DrQuincy
AG
Well, I guess it's a good thing the B&N wasn't the boss during the week of 9/22/01 (RWB Out)!

chick79
AG
Has anyone sent an e-mail to Bill Byrne about this........?
jeffdjohnson
quote:
good idea, or you can give them away for free to people who want to donate $5.

What about this? I bet some people would donate even more than $5. Selling them online would be a good idea as well.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
If B&N don't want to play ball, the University needs to let everyone know why they can't allow this and I'm sure sales at the Bookstore and B&N would decrease dramatically until they stopped stifiling their largest customer base in College Station.

Explain to me why the university would want to tell everyone to stop buying from a store THAT THEY GET A CUT OFF OF??? Doesn't make much sense.
PedroJack07
AG
Cant sell online becasue Stu-Act prohibits it, they can take 100 bucks straight out of the Rowdies student activities account if they wanted to.

I know they've at least emailed Byrne so we'll see where it goes from there...
ConAg04
First shrit sold was "We Scream Louder than Your Mom!" for the 2000-01 season.

That shirt idea came to me sitting at DoubleDave's on northgate (yes-there used to be a dd's on northgate). It was actually supposed to be "We Scream Louder than yo' mamma", but it was PC'd to the version that was printed.

I like the membership idea. Just sell $5 memberships, and with each membership you get 1 t-shirt.
logsatm04
Sell them out of a van in the Reed Arena parking lot. I see this work in Wal-Mart all the time.

And can't you rent some table space to "advertise" and "recruit" for your organization on campus. Sell memberships which get a T-shirt.

And get Turge to Tweet about it. Twitter changes the world, it can change A&M...

And you will never beat the "We scream louder than your mom" shirts. We had better shirts than you and better seats.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
Sell them out of a van in the Reed Arena parking lot.

Pretty sure you have to have a permit for this, or at least you do for football games. There is some athletics dept guy that rolls in a golfcart who patrols the area looking for this. Might want to check into it, but its a great idea.
BQ_90
AG
I like the "membership" idea. Might be a loop hole but I doubt the University would let this happen.

one and done
AG
Reed Rowdies should write an op-ed in the Batt setting out what you told us and ask students to boycott the University Bookstore until the policy is changed. Before you send it to the Batt, send it to the fine folks at Barnes and Noble and ask them to reconsider their policy. Also, make a bigger deal about how the money goes to supporting student athletics at A&M and is run by a not-for-profit group. The letter needs to make clear than Barnes and Noble hates student organizations, Texas A&M Basketball, babies, apple pie and America.
BQ_90
AG
I also find it ironic that's it's the MSC bookstore squashing out a student organization.

yoshi
Im certainly no lawyer, but if the contracts been in place in the past and the Rowdies sold shirts still, havent they (the bookstore) given up their rights by ratification? They havent defended their contract for years...
4thand1
I remember back in the day when those guys had the "BEAN" shirts. That was awesome.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
Reed Rowdies should write an op-ed in the Batt setting out what you told us and ask students to boycott the University Bookstore until the policy is changed. Before you send it to the Batt, send it to the fine folks at Barnes and Noble and ask them to reconsider their policy.

You guys really need to read more into this. Like I have said, on this thread and others, the policy is NOT THROUGH THE BOOKSTORE. It is the contract that Texas A&M made up with the bookstore, therefore, your gripe is with the university. If you wanted to send it to B&N, you might as well send it to their home office in New Jersey, because thats where it would end up anyways for any action to take place.

I am sure I will type this a few more times before someone reads it. The University is making money off of the sales at the bookstore, so the university is the one to blame for the policy.

It really isnt that hard to understand.

Also, I am not sure that the Batt would be allowed to run a letter to the editor or opinion that tells students to boycott an orgization that makes money for the university...

[This message has been edited by bigfoot10s (edited 11/20/2009 11:11a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.