Anybody heard the stories about the big fight at Baylor-A&M around 72?

9,836 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by dog
Rec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rcaper said:

Played national anthem twice to stop the fight!!

It would still work, maybe even better now with all the kneelers.
fasthorse05
I LOVED Mario Brown.

As a 7 year old going to my first Aggie basketball game (not the Baylor game) in College Station that year, he had all the moves with the basketball and was pretty flashy, especially for A&M.

Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
Aggie72BQ
AG
I remember playing the SSB to stop a fight in GRWC. Also remember playing the Stripper pregame. Mario would dance around a bit. Dang it was fun then.
AggieHoopsGuy
AG
Love this story. I feel like I missed the golden age of rivalries In college athletics.
rcaper
Metcslf threw a chair on the floor and Gobin left the bench to slug a Baylor player at the free throw line….there was always bad blood w Baylor
rcaper
BigTrain
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

The '72' fight started after Bob Gobin cut off the baseline on Stanton and Stanton lost the ball. As the teams headed back up court Stanton hit Gobin in the back of the head from behind. Gobin chased Stanton to the Baylor bench and clocked him. Both benches emptied and the fight began.
Hmmm, not the way I remember it at all. I remember A&M making a steal, Gobin I assume, and as he went up for the lay up, he was crashed into from behind by Stanton (I assume). The momentum of both players took them into to the stands behind the basket which at the time was reserved strickly for A&M athletes, mostly football of course. The entire section came down on Stanton and pummeled him. Good times, G Rollie was a'rockin!

And, regarding Baylor classiness, I heard RC Slocum say who he thought had the worst fans in the conference and he said Baylor hands down. He said he had even called their Chancellor about it.

Texag72, you are remembering the game at Jolly Rolly that occurred in about 68 or 69, not the 72 game in Waco.
Aggie72BQ
AG
I know that!
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I believe the fight with Baylor at G. Rollie was in 1969. Baylor player, Tom Freidman, had been doing something to irritate the fans and players, so when he drove for an uncontested layup, Billy Bob Barnett ran up from behind and knocked him into the stands where the football team was sitting and that started the fight. I remember Gene Stallings having a meeting with the football team on the court and my friend and I trying to get close enough to hear when what was being said when one of the players turned around and said "I don't believe you're on the team " and we took off in a hurry. On our way out, I heard Baylor broadcasters, Frank Fallon and Dave South, talking about the "riot ".
Hoelscherfarms70
The fight with Baylor was in G Rollie in 1969. Our 6'10" star center Ronnie Peret broke away for an uncontested layup. Tom Friedman undercut Ronnie's legs & Ronnie went down to the floor! T Friedman was standing over him when Billy Bob started at half court with a clenched fist & cold cocked Friedman! I believe it knocked him out! It was in front of the Aggie football players & the rest is history!
Gig 'em & btho baylor! David H '70
greg.w.h
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

I agree with Wildcat. I KNOW level of play and national respect is worlds higher than in the SWC. BUT, that week-in and week-out hate for the other school (because you'd been talking trash with those guys since 3rd grade) was AWESOME.
Kimd of like siblings…
war hymn aggie
AG
at least nobody died from the fight

Referencing an A&M student named Charles Sessums that was attacked by BU fans in a football game in 1926 & later died,
85AustinAg
AG
It was Sweet Georgia Brown, not the Stripper....
greg.w.h
AG
I heard it was like this.,,
Aggie72BQ
AG
Actually we played both.
monarch
S
Those Baylor games games were football on a bball court
Peace for Ukraine!
EXCELL
EXCELL
EXCELL said:

I was there ... front row under the basket seated next to Tom Buckman and, one seat over, Billy Hobbs, in what was then the jock seating. Other than being on the court you can't get any closer than I was as an eyewitness.

Ronnie Peret (married at the time to my cousin) had a break away layup on a long pass. As Ronnie coasted to the bucket, Tom Friedman fouled him HARD with an intentional foul that would today result in an automatic ejection.

Friedman was decked on a full body block at full speed by Billy Bob Barnett and went sprawling, landing at the very feet of Billy Hobbs and Billy proceeded to beat the everlovin' crap out of Friedman.

Because of Hobbs' and those seated around him involvement there was a big SWC investigation which amounted to nothing. Gene Stallings was the AD then and he stated it was clear that Hobbs had not struck Friedman, which was a pure lie.

I went to the locker room after the game and talked to Ronnie who had a pretty good strawberry under one eye where he hit the floor. He told me he was pissed off because he didn't get a shot at Friedman. By the time he jumped off the floor Friedman was surrounded by Aggie footballers who were pounding on Friedman.

Anything else you read here is pure BS.

EXCELL
Tusker88 said:

bu
Where the girls are girls and the boys are too
GE
AG
AGS749901 said:

and class of '74 is NOT OLD. F'n punks.
How bout now?
hellcat9
AG
i was there, in fact so was my sister, a Baylor student. She knew Friedman, and said he was a punk. Hobbs said he was "just protecting Friedman". Tommy boy made one critical mistake, hard foul under the goal where the football players sat.
A week later, i had a date with a Baylor coed in Waco. i was on crutches, with a torn ankle ligament, and didn't know i was out with Friedman's girlfriend's roommate. He brought his girlfriend in to the dorm, at the same time. He started mouthing off to me, on crutches. What he didn't know was my buddy was around the corner, all 6'4, 240 lbs. He heard the noise and came back to check on me. Big Tommy took off.
My sister and a still don't talk about it, to this day.
monarch
S
Can we drop this?
Peace for Ukraine!
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sure, just drop off the thread- problem solved.
frenchtoast
**** Baylor
dog
AG
Hoelscherfarms70 said:

The fight with Baylor was in G Rollie in 1969. Our 6'10" star center Ronnie Peret broke away for an uncontested layup. Tom Friedman undercut Ronnie's legs & Ronnie went down to the floor! T Friedman was standing over him when Billy Bob started at half court with a clenched fist & cold cocked Friedman! I believe it knocked him out! It was in front of the Aggie football players & the rest is history!
Gig 'em & btho baylor! David H '70
100% accurate
dog
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.