Anybody heard the stories about the big fight at Baylor-A&M around 72?

9,830 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by dog
BostonAg74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Highlights:

1) Game was played in small gym on campus due to tornado damage at Heart of Texas Coliseum. Few Aggie fans could get in.
2) Bad feelings between the schools had not lessened since a Baylor player had been knocked out during a fight in '69
3) Instigator of fight in Waco was Tom Stanton (future Baylor Athletic Director), who had a nasty habit of getting into fights with black players on other teams in the mostly lily white SWC.
4) Main target of the abuse and racial taunts by Baylor fans was Mario Brown, the first black player in A&M history.
5) During the melee, Rick Duplantis, an A&M player with a heavily braced and wrapped knee, was dragged to the ground by Baylor students while another whacked away at his injured knee with a folding chair.
6) After the game, a nice Baptist lady went up to Shelby Metcalf, spit on him, and dumped a bag of trash on his head.

There's a lot more, including what led up to the fight, and the retribution against Stanton when he came to College Station for a baseball game, but I just thought it was interesting that Baylor has spawned yet another generation of classless fans.

Wildcat
AG
I miss the old SWC.
Tusker88
AG
bu
BostonAg74
If Vince McMahon had been director of marketing for basketball in the old SWC, Bob Gobin would have been a superstar.
DecadePlan
AG
Dang Boston. You're OLD!
InternetFan02
AG
Baylor in the 70's. My Mom's friend went to Baylor in the early 70's. She says it was horrible trying to find a date. Every Baylor guy was either one of two bad stereotypes - they were either completely wild ass trying to rebel from their Baptist parents or they were still hardcore devout trying to pray with you in the car before going out on a date.

txdawg80
stanton..........that guy's inability to run an athletic department is still being felt by the morons in waco.

i had never heard that story, but what happened to stanton on his return to cs?
pmotftac07
AG
Yeah, Boston, you can't just tell half the story! What led up to this? And what happened to Stanton?
BostonAg74
Stanton was leadoff hitter and centerfielder for Baylor's baseball team. Charlie Jenkins was a reserve on the basketball team and the starting pitcher in the opener.

First pitch: fastball, right in the kidney.

The old baseball field at A&M was adjacent to Kyle Field, and landing for the ramp to the second deck actually extended over the centerfield fence. This was before the Raggies, so a lot of fans would go out to the ramp to rag on the opposing team's centerfielder. Naturally, Stanton drew a big crowd. After a couple of innings, one guy was really getting to him, and he got so pissed off he started to CRY!

It was a fun weekend.

chick79
AG
Thanks for the post Boston.... Baylor was always the definition of classlessness in the old SWC...... some things never change.
BostonAg74
The bad feelings between Mario Brown and Tom Stanton started at the game in College Station, where Brown kept flicking Stanton's long, perfectly cut blonde hair whenever the ref wasn't looking. It was driving Stanton absolutely nuts. There was also a lot of trash talk between the two, with Brown's being the Chicago playground ball variety (mostly questioning Stanton's level of testosterone), and Stanton's clever replies consisting of a whiney "shut up!". During a timeout, Stanton had taken a seat on the Baylor bench, and Brown was standing nearby as play was about to begin. Stanton takes a cup of water, runs out and throws it in Mario's face, then runs back to the bench and stands behind his coach. To Mario's everlasting credit, he just looked over at Stanton and smiled, and didn't let it escalate.
chick79
AG
Of course, this heated rivalry goes all the way back to the 20's when they killed one of our students in Waco.......
txdawg80
but..........but..........baylor denies that incident
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Thanks for the post Boston.... Baylor was always the definition of classlessness in the old SWC...... some things never change.

Agreed. The only vandalism of the A&M campus I saw during my four+ years was with green and gold paint.
CapCityAg89
AG
I agree with Wildcat. I KNOW level of play and national respect is worlds higher than in the SWC. BUT, that week-in and week-out hate for the other school (because you'd been talking trash with those guys since 3rd grade) was AWESOME.
chick79
AG
quote:
The only vandalism of the A&M campus I saw during my four+ years was with green and gold paint.

Me too.... every year the clowns from Waco would splash green and yellow paint on Sully and the sign at the campus entrance.....
Fleen
It was probably the Baylor guy's nail polish...
AGS749901
and class of '74 is NOT OLD. F'n punks.
BostonAg74
Someone guessed my age the other day as early forties, and my oldest daughter refers to me as the "annoying 12 year old brother she never had".

You're only as old as you feel.
BaylorPilot
and you a&m types like to say that we're not rivals. i think we are my friends.

txdawg80
take it to the rivalries board moron
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I was at the water in the face game. Listened to the one in waco on the radio.

Loved the end of last nights game.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
and you a&m types like to say that we're not rivals. i think we are my friends.

Okay BaylorPilot, We can be rivals if you want.

Just try not to cry when we've pw3nd you time and time again.
basic8
Know I shouldn't, but can't let this one go. Always thought it was very classy for the football team to kick the s out of Baylor's Tom Friedman after a hard foul of his and he ended up on the floor to conveniently be jumped on by non participants in the game. Even made SI. Nice pub. Hey, that's part of the rivalry-there was a fight every year for about 3. The one at HOT in Waco was riot porportions as well. Both schools needed time outs during those games.
hoosieraggie
S
The '72' fight started after Bob Gobin cut off the baseline on Stanton and Stanton lost the ball. As the teams headed back up court Stanton hit Gobin in the back of the head from behind. Gobin chased Stanton to the Baylor bench and clocked him. Both benches emptied and the fight began.

quote:
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both". Dwight D. Eisenhower
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Water in face attack was pure racism at its worst.
NOBEVO
AG
Hoosier, you bring back fond memories. Surprised nobody has mentioned how order was restored in old G. Rollie; the band would strike up the National Anthem and eventually all of us Ags would come to attention.

Bob Gobin was electric in his spot play on those teams. Shelby's use of him guaranteed a momentum change the minute he stepped on the court. By the way, Gobin was always a pleasure to be around; unless you were the guy he was assigned to take out.
monicaduplantis
I was there and I remember the game!
Monica Duplantis (Mrs. Rick Duplantis)
Know Your Enemy
AG
monicaduplantis said:

I was there and I remember the game!
Monica Duplantis (Mrs. Rick Duplantis)
Sterling82
This is the best thread I've seen on Texags in a while.
wtr1975
AG
I remember the incident - my fish year. Shelby got so mad about Stanton's antics (elbows, groin kicks to Mario, etc.) and the ref's one-sided failure to call that he kicked a chair and got a T.
85AustinAg
AG
I remember as a kid watching the Ags warm up pre game and the band would play Sweet Georgia Brown and Mario Brown would really get into it. Loved Mario Brown!
frenchtoast
I always disliked Baylor more than texas.
txag72
AG
Quote:

The '72' fight started after Bob Gobin cut off the baseline on Stanton and Stanton lost the ball. As the teams headed back up court Stanton hit Gobin in the back of the head from behind. Gobin chased Stanton to the Baylor bench and clocked him. Both benches emptied and the fight began.
Hmmm, not the way I remember it at all. I remember A&M making a steal, Gobin I assume, and as he went up for the lay up, he was crashed into from behind by Stanton (I assume). The momentum of both players took them into to the stands behind the basket which at the time was reserved strickly for A&M athletes, mostly football of course. The entire section came down on Stanton and pummeled him. Good times, G Rollie was a'rockin!

And, regarding Baylor classiness, I heard RC Slocum say who he thought had the worst fans in the conference and he said Baylor hands down. He said he had even called their Chancellor about it.
rcaper
Played national anthem twice to stop the fight!!
rcaper
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.