Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Daily Lunch box meal ideas?

2,211 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BusterAg
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey all.

For the first time in my life, I have what is essentially a 9-5 job and am looking into making my own daily work lunches. I'll have access to a microwave, sink, etc so I will have a little flexibility at least.

I know this should be easy and any adult should be able to handle it but over a long term period, years really, how do you keep from hating yourself? I have always bogged down in the past with bland sandwiches and takeout boxes and usually quit after a couple of weeks.

I know there are legions of house wife blogs out there with Pinterest level lunches for their perfect husbands in their perfect lives but wanting to see what yall do. The work grinders who don't make fresh teriyaki every morning for their bento boxes. Mainly curious and looking for new ideas.
BurrOak
AG
Dedicate time on the weekend to meal prep, usually Sunday for us. It doesn't always happen but try to if possible. I love to cook so I enjoy doing it. I have a freezer full of venison, some beef and pork, lots of fish, various small game.

Grill steaks, venison, pork chops, beef, whatever
Blacken fish
Grill chicken breasts, thighs
Saut/ bake various veggies
Baked sweet and regular potatoes
Rice
Mix and match any of the above
Pot roasts w veggies
Pot of beans with ham, hocks, etc added
Spaghetti
A big ole batch of Hamburger Helper and jazz it up with frozen veggies.
Stir fries, fried rices, taco bowl type stuff
Tuna salad
Or wherever else I cook during the week for dinner, I make a big batch of it intentionally to have leftovers.
Sometimes I break out the cook books and do something more fancy, but the majority of the stuff I make is listed above.
Sometime a good hearty sandwich breaks the monotony.

Get:
A good quality and sizable air fryer
Crock pot
Instapot
Big cast iron skillet. My grilling for meal prep is usually done with this. Actually this is used at some point with pretty much everything I make.
Good Pyrex containers

It does get repetitive, and sometimes you will find yourself eating the same thing over and over. But keep at it and you will find a routine and what works for you.

It's beats buying lunch every day, cheaper and much healthier.

Also to add, the microwave will certainly work for reheating. We have a small toaster oven at my office that another guy brought, it reheats better than a microwave, it just takes longer.

cbaker20
I eat homemade food for 95% of my meals. I've prepped lunches a week at a time before but I get too bored with the same thing every day and small portions of protein end up not being cost or time effective for me.

We have settled on cooking for double the servings we need for dinner and simply eating leftovers for lunch most of the time. Works well for us and we cook a wide variety so not too much repetition. I will also do food prep for several dinners the same evening to save time.
big ben
AG
I keep a 1 quart crock pot in my office, we make chili, soups, spagetti, etc and freeze in round tupperware. Get to work, turn crockpot on low, drop in my foodsicle and by lunch time its ready.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Make soup / stew of some kind over the weekend and portion it out for the week.
Eliminatus
AG
Thanks all. Looks like meal prep is the answer then. I am still mid move so this week is a wash but should have a functional kitchen by next weekend.

Thanks for the idea!
schmendeler
AG
I recommend chicken thighs rather than breasts. I think they taste better myself, and for the purposes of lunches, i think they definitely reheat better.
jellycheese
AG
I've been meal prepping for years. Just recently changed it up and am happy to not spend as much time on Sundays fooling with it.

I started buying big bags of frozen vegetables and make sure to always have a variety. We cook at home most nights and always cook an extra portion of meat. In the mornings, I just pick which veggies I want with lunch and dump them in the tupperware with the meat. They thaw enough in the work fridge that a couple minutes in the microwave gets everything just right.

I always keep couple potatoes and cooked chicken breasts handy in case we didn't have enough leftover meat from dinner. The potatoes do pretty good in the microwave.

Also make sure your break room has various seasonings and sauces. I usually eat my veggies without any seasoning but sometimes need a sprinkle of Tony's or a squirt of hot sauce.
NETAG
I love to grill, so with meat, I'll normally I throw a few extra of whatever on, and pull them off first slightly underdone (slightly like 5 degrees). They go immediately into the container I'm going to take to work so they don't get mixed up with what we are immediately going to eat. That way when I heat it at the office, it isn't overdone and dried out.

There are also meal prep companies that you can get different meals already in containers. Not saying that is the cheapest option, but it isn't any more expensive than if you already are accustomed to eating out every day.
NETAG
Oh, and I think every once in a while is acceptable, but don't be the guy that brings leftover salmon or take-out Chinese food every day and stinks the joint up.
htxag09
AG
NETAG said:

Oh, and I think every once in a while is acceptable, but don't be the guy that brings leftover salmon or take-out Chinese food every day and stinks the joint up.
Left over fish is never acceptable...
Decay
AG
I usually spend Sunday afternoon making lunches. Depending on work schedule I have 15-20 to make between my kids, my wife and me.

Don't skip the PB&J! I have kids so they get them a lot in their lunches and we use Costco strawberry jam which is really good. I can't pass up one every couple of weeks or so. I could eat them way more often but there's a ton of calories in that much PB. Although I love sandwiches so I make them too, or tortilla wraps. Those are usually a Mon-Tue kinda thing because they'll get soggy.

As for the rest... we get tons of containers and have kinda settled on a few we like and buy then 20-30 at a time.

I'll do tortilla pizzas (tomato sauce or bbq sauce, cheese and toppings, oil the bottom and bake at 400 for a few minutes), quesadillas (similar, just oil both tortillas and cooktop, pan, or oven, flip once).

Salads work, just keep the lettuce / dryer veggies (like carrots or broccoli) separate from any wet or saucey ingredients (meats, cheese, even wetter veggies like bell pepper). At lunchtime throw everything into the tupperware you brought the lettuce in and shake it all up. Sky's the limit there, basically any meat and flavor combo you can think of.

Can wrap and freeze meat/bean/rice burritos, more of a meal prep but reheat fine. We also meal prep 3 or 4 trays of enchiladas at a time in foil pans. Those leftovers kick ass.

Most of the others we do I see in the thread. And yes, skip the dang fish leftovers except in rare occasions. Or do something you can eat cold like tuna salad sandwich. Actually try tuna salad as a dip for crackers and veggies.

Most of the time I do veggies and dip as a side. I can package up a mix like carrots, celery, snap peas, bell pepper into a bunch of containers and then make or buy some dips and dole out the right amount. Hummus, sour cream-based, ranch dressing, bbq sauce, sriracha, you name it.

Hope there's some suggestions in there you like!
Mule_lx
AG
htxag09 said:

NETAG said:

Left over fish is never acceptable...
What about a can of sardines? I like them and I keep thinking it would be nice for a low cal lunch.
schmendeler
AG
Eat them outside and leave the trash in an outdoor trashcan
BusterAg
AG
Summer sausage, a nice cheese, Ritz, and a raw vegetable like radishes or sweet peppers.

I can eat that twice a week and be happy.
Leftovers the rest of the time.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.