Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

New York City recommendations

6,427 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best deli-
Best pizza-
Best bagel spot-
Best Italian-
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids-
True Anomaly
AG
cityagboy said:

Best deli- Katz's
Best pizza- Prince Street Pizza (get the square pepperoni slice) or Juliana's (in Brooklyn)
Best bagel spot- Ess-A-Bagel
Best Italian-
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids-

You'll get lots of debate about some of these places, but I'm a big fan of these spots and you won't go wrong trying them
Tanya 93
thisguy05
AG
Nearly every bagel place is great. But shout out to Kossar's on the lower east side for one of the best things I've ever eaten: babka French toast!
Twayne_02
AG
B-Side Pizza and Wine Bar in Manhattan is my wife and my favorite pizza spot. It is tiny and not small kid friendly, but pretty quick, has a creative menu and good beers on tap. The Killer B is our go to pizza.

John's of Time Square is solid if your in the area doing the classic tourist things and need a family friendly pizza spot.
Quinn
AG
cityagboy said:

Best deli- Pastrami Queen
Best pizza- Prince Street Pizza
Best bagel spot- Russ and Daughters
Best Italian- I Sodi
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids- Ice Cream Museum
dallasag_123
Best deli- 2nd ave deli
Best pizza- Joe's on Carmine.
Best Italian- Via Carota
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids- Max Brenner's
aTm2004
AG
Doesn't fall on your asks, but a couple I'd recommend:

Bubby's for breakfast.
Amy's Bread. It's a bakery with awesome treats and has several locations around Manhattan.
Quinn
AG
2nd Ave is great, good recommendation
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.burgerjointny.com/56thstreet

I know you didn't ask about burgers but this place has the best burger I've had. It is a hole in the wall in the lobby of a 5* hotel.
agcrock2005
AG
You didn't ask about steakhouse but definitely DO NOT go to Peter Lugers. That place was awful and incredibly expensive (like everything else in NYC). Still pissed I wasted my time/money on that ****hole when there's so many other great places to go to.
cityagboy
AG
agcrock2005 said:

You didn't ask about steakhouse but definitely DO NOT go to Peter Lugers. That place was awful and incredibly expensive (like everything else in NYC). Still pissed I wasted my time/money on that ****hole when there's so many other great places to go to.
100%. I have been. About 10 years ago I spent a lot of time in the city but haven't been back since. All steakhouses I went to were average compared to the elite spots in Texas
AustinCountyAg
following...heading that way in July. I basically told my wife to suck it up because I plan on eating pizza 90% of the time.
WES2006AG
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I thought the actual steak at Luger's was great but everything else was very aaverge.
dallasag_123
Luger's is overrated for sure but Keen's is VERY good. Great steaks (but get the Mutton) but even better atmosphere.
medwriter
I was in White Plains a loooong time ago and found that you couldn't go wrong with a Jewish Deli. Best sandwich (corn beef) sandwich I have ever had, and I am not a fan of corn beef. Of course, my guide was Jewish, so she knew the right place to go.
GAC06
AG
Corned beef
AggieStan
Lugers sucks
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html
fav13andac1)c
AG
John's of Bleecker is incredible pizza
Bruce Almighty
AG
Luger's isn't good. It wouldn't survive in Texas. Katz is amazing and the only NYC restaurant I go to every time I'm there.
GarlandAg2012
AG
cityagboy said:

Best deli-Court street grocer (bk)
Best pizza- Joe's on Carmine, Bedford Ave in Williamsburg, or Lucali if you are wanting sit down pizza but they don't take resevations
Best bagel spot- any, not a big bagel guy
Best Italian- L'Artusi in West Village, Lil Frankie's (1st Ave), Lilia in Williamsburg
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids- not my scene but infatuation knows their stuff: https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/guides/kid-friendly-restaurants-in-nyc

Bonus recommendation: Crown Shy. Been before and after the pandemic. They currently have 1 Michelin star but I am convinced they will get more soon. Incredible food.
GarlandAg2012
AG
dallasag_123 said:

Best deli- 2nd ave deli
Best pizza- Joe's on Carmine.
Best Italian- Via Carota
Best gimmicky restaurant for kids- Max Brenner's

Great recs but getting into Via Carlota is difficult.
NorfolkAg
AG
Too many great food spots on NYC! Our family will start with and end a visit with stops at either Zabars or Russ and Daughters. Both are old school smoked fish experts and we get snacks and breakfast for the rental. More importantly, for the trip home.
Dalhousietrio
http://kochinyc.com/

Had dinner here tonight. Was fantastic. 9 course meal.

Gilligan
AG
McSorley's Old Ale House.

DTP02
AG
Looking for lunch and dinner recommendations in West Village.
dallasag_123
Via Carota for dinner. Long wait and no reservations but you can go to other bars in the area.
Casa is good Brazilian and not usually too crowded.

Lunch you can go to John's on Bleeker for sit down pizza, or Joe's on Carmine for a slice. Faicco's for a damn good grab and go sandwiches. Corner Bistro is a good burger, not as good as it once was but I still like it. La Bobonniere for a great diner.
GarlandAg2012
AG
L'Artusi is also good and has reservations althought they go quick. Via Carota is supposed to be great but if you show up in prime time it's not uncommon to be told they are fully committed for the night (as in even if you're willing to wait you wine get seated).

A solid backup plan where it's much easier to get a table is Hudson Clearwater. It's a bit more casual and much easier to get a table in my experience, but still solid.
JJWAGGIE
AG
One of my roommates at A&M is executive chef/owner of Scampi in NYC. Located in the Flatiron district.
LondonAg89
AG
Anyone ever been to Grand Banks oyster bar? A guy sitting next to me on a plane from NYC recommended it and we will be there over Memorial Day. What says TexAgs?
bmoochie
AG
Have you gone yet? I'm just now exploring other forums but man I have some good stuff from my anniversary trip a few years back.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

This is the correct answer.
DTP02
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Just got back from John's. Have a few slices left sitting in a to-go box on my table right now as we wait out a t-storm in the room. It's really good. The crust at John's is better, and I slightly prefer the atmosphere as well as it feels a little more lived-in, but overall I think Juliana's (the original Grimaldi's owners' newer place) in Brooklyn is the better pie.

Frankly, though, people probably spend a little too much time debating pizza in what is arguably the greatest food city on earth.

John's and Juliana's are both great pizza places, but that is a distinction that only means so much. So far this week L 'Artusi, Nobu, and Spice Symphony are winning for me. Looking forward to seeing what Il Tonello brings to the table.
GarlandAg2012
AG
DTP02 said:

Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Just got back from John's. Have a few slices left sitting in a to-go box on my table right now as we wait out a t-storm in the room. It's really good. The crust at John's is better, and I slightly prefer the atmosphere as well as it feels a little more lived-in, but overall I think Juliana's (the original Grimaldi's owners' newer place) in Brooklyn is the better pie.

Frankly, though, people probably spend a little too much time debating pizza in what is arguably the greatest food city on earth.

John's and Juliana's are both great pizza places, but that is a distinction that only means so much. So far this week L 'Artusi, Nobu, and Spice Symphony are winning for me. Looking forward to seeing what Il Tonello brings to the table.

Glad you enjoyed L'Artusi! Hope you had the olive oil cake.

Try Crown Shy if you can get a table. You won't be disappointed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.