Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

423,206 Views | 3096 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by agcrock2005
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never too early to get this started...

Edit: Updated with the link if you don't want to search through the thread looking for it...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/
agfan2013
AG
Really looking forward to it, I hope its like the 2017 list with a top 10 and then 11-50 listed. The 2013 list was only a top 4 and then the rest.

As I said on the 2017 thread, I think B/CS area loses Fargos which has been on the last couple of lists, and Blue Moon, but gains 1775 pit bbq.

Burnt Bean in Seguin will be on it and it wouldnt shock me if its top 10. Great meats of course, but the sides, deserts, and brunch menu he is doing really sets him apart

I think Franklin, Snows, and Truth all remain in the top 10, but there is some shakeups in there.

Tales from the Pits is a good bbq podcast to listen to and they are in the middle of doing their own list. They picked a top 100, and list out 20-11 in an episode, 10-6, and next week will be their top 5. They have a pretty objective scoring system (except for giving some points for atmosphere/history/experience which I dont agree with) and I will imagine they will have a fair amount of overlap with the TX monthly list.
Matsui
AG
Can't wait.
Beef Cheek
AG
Any predictions for a new #1?

I don't see Franklin or Snow's repeating as title holders this list.
jh0400
AG
I can't see anyone beating them out. If anything I could see Franklin overtaking Snow's, but the gap between those two and number three is pretty big IMO.
Beef Cheek
AG
Couldn't disagree more. The landscape of Texas BBQ has transformed over the last decade, the rest of the field has more than caught up.

2M, Truth, Goldee's, Burnt Bean, L&L, Valentina's… plenty of places that are deserving of #1 consideration.
Bulldog73
AG
I imagine Hellberg and/or Guess makes it for the Waco area. Neither top 10 material at all, but both solid additions.
NColoradoAG
I do not get to try as many places as most on this board so I am very interested to see all the love for Burnt Bean. Background on that spot and is it worth staying through until Monday this fall for a round trip visit from CS on a Sunday?

I personally love 1775 and every time I've visited I've thought it wouldn't be surprising to see them top 10.

agcrock2005
AG
Hope to see our very own AustinAgChef and his Pustka Family BBQ on this list!
agfan2013
AG
NColoradoAG said:

I do not get to try as many places as most on this board so I am very interested to see all the love for Burnt Bean. Background on that spot and is it worth staying through until Monday this fall for a round trip visit from CS on a Sunday?

I personally love 1775 and every time I've visited I've thought it wouldn't be surprising to see them top 10.

It really is that good. To give you a comparison the meat is just about the same 1775 in my opinion (1775 has better brisket, BB better ribs, about the same on everything else), but the sides/everything else are way better. And I really like the sides at 1775, the corn casserole and loaded potatoes in particular. Burnt Bean has queso mac n cheese, cowboy beans, bacon ranch taters, street corn pudding, southern green beans, potato salad and baked sweet potatoes on the weekends. Plus amazing desserts and phenomenal Sunday brunch menu with stuff like brisket huevos rancheros. They really are the whole package.

As a B/CS native I love 1775 but I'll say I dont think they are top 10 worthy yet as their ribs are too inconsistent. I've been 5+ times and only once were they really spectacular like you'll find at other top places. Brisket is always on point, the other meats are very good, and sides are different and have some good variety to them, but I dont think they're top 10 material. Absolutely deserving of Top 50 though IMO.

And I have to agree with Beef Cheek, many of these places have stepped up their game so the gap between the absolute best and other very good places isnt as big as it used to be. My guess is Franklin takes back #1 because he still has the perfect brisket, amazing ribs, etc. but his sides are fairly lacking which more and more people are putting stock into.
NColoradoAG
That corn casserole at 1775 is amazing. They catered one night at Camp Brisket and I was begging for the recipe to no avail.
BSD
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Hope to see our very own AustinAgChef and his Pustka Family BBQ on this list!

I still need to get there. Time for a road trip!
Beef Cheek
AG
DV with a strong statement today.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/has-texas-brisket-peaked/
Max06
AG
I don't get the love for Burnt Bean. Yes, it's good bbq but it's nothing to write home about.

I haven't had brunch there, so is that what I'm missing out on?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Beef Cheek said:

IMO he's telegraphing a shake up in the 2021 Top 5. DV's list will no longer be defined as "who has the best brisket".
Hwy30East
Anyone ever been to Kolacney in Halletsville, or Eaker BBQ in Fredericksburg? What are your thoughts on the food?
agcrock2005
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Beef Cheek said:

IMO he's telegraphing a shake up in the 2021 Top 5. DV's list will no longer be defined as "who has the best brisket".
That's what I took from it as well. Could get interesting. Not sure snow's pork steak and incredible brisket (which he says he can get everywhere now) will be able to hold up.
CDub06
AG
I love some of the creativity and fusion we are seeing with Texas barbecue. Even some of the sides are worth writing home about now. But come on. Brisket is still king.
Beef Cheek
AG
CDub06 said:

I love some of the creativity and fusion we are seeing with Texas barbecue. Even some of the sides are worth writing home about now. But come on. Brisket is still king.

No one is saying brisket is no longer king. It's just that everyone is so good at cooking brisket, it no longer sets you apart.
CDub06
AG
I get it. But I still think brisket will still have the most weight in the rankings. You're not gonna get in the top 50 without doing brisket really well. But you're right, a lot of people are doing brisket REALLY well now.

Quick note on a quote from the above article:
Quote:

Then Franklin wrote down all of his smoky secrets in Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto, published in 2015. He had written an instruction manual and handed it to his competitors. When the most famous brisket cook the world has ever seen tells you exactly how to replicate his cash cow, enterprising pitmasters are going to do exactly that.

I've talked to a pitmaster that may be top 50 this year and THIS is exactly what he did. He explicitly said he read the book, watched the videos, and is trying to replicate his exact methods. And it worked. I know he's not the only one, though some might be a little more subtle about it. Aaron Franklin almost single handedly raised the tide for Texas Barbecue.
Beef Cheek
AG
Tales From the Pits released their Top 5 today.

5. Franklin
4. Cattleack
3. Evie Mae's
2. LeRoy & Lewis
1. Truth
agfan2013
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Tales From the Pits released their Top 5 today.

5. Franklin
4. Cattleack
3. Evie Mae's
2. LeRoy & Lewis
1. Truth

I listened to the podcast on my drive in this morning. I've only had Franklin and Truth from the top 5 but have heard lots of good things about the others. I think similar to the article you posted earlier about great brisket being more commonplace now, they put some extra emphasis on sides and stuff like that, which I think many people are doing, TX monthly included and we will see that reflected in the new list when it comes out.

I like the Truth call at #1, thats been my favorite joint in the state for several years now. I've never been to the Houston location, but have been to Brenham a handful of times and its always phenomenal from the meats, to the sides, to what I can assume are the desserts (always been to full to try one at the end, need to change that one day). And the line isn't as long as places like snows or franklin, so that's a nice plus. Owner is a nice guy, one time I was in ordering and asked about his pits and he chatted for a few minutes about why he likes and uses what he does (cant remember what maker, but they arent mobergs) and said to hit him up for a contact if I ever wanted a similar one built.
lazuras_dc
AG
I really really really like Truth but I'm not sure if holds up to Cattleack, Snows, Franklin. I could accept it at 4

Never had L&L and Evie Maes
RAM700BA
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Here is my BB plate from when I went a while back. Definitely worth a try if you can swing it.
AustinCountyAg
green beans look straight outa the can with some grease poured on them.
RAM700BA
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

They probably are out of a can. Other sides are good though. Bacon ranch taters, corn casserole, cowboy beans, hot Cheetos Mac and cheese. Desserts are great too. Best nanner pudding I've had. Plus the other unique dishes he offers. I'll give him a pass on green beans. Not really what makes or breaks a bbq place in my book.
Big Al 1992
AG
Looking forward to trying BB and L&L
Truth doesn't even make my top 5 - it's still very good.
FWIW Big Als top 5 briskets
Franklin's - consistently the best brisket
Corkscrew
LA BBQ
Black's
Killen's
agcrock2005
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Looking forward to trying BB and L&L
Truth doesn't even make my top 5 - it's still very good.
FWIW Big Als top 5 briskets
Franklin's/Snows - consistently the best brisket
Corkscrew
LA BBQ
Black's
Killen's

FIFY
dc509
AG
This might be a stupid question, but when does the list come out?
agcrock2005
AG
dc509 said:

This might be a stupid question, but when does the list come out?
October 18th I believe.
dc509
AG
Excellent
NColoradoAG
RAM700BA said:

AustinCountyAg said:

They probably are out of a can. Other sides are good though. Bacon ranch taters, corn casserole, cowboy beans, hot Cheetos Mac and cheese. Desserts are great too. Best nanner pudding I've had. Plus the other unique dishes he offers. I'll give him a pass on green beans. Not really what makes or breaks a bbq place in my book.

I always take reviews from grown men who use words like "taters" and "nanner" with a grain of salt.
RAM700BA
AG
When you have two kids under 4 it just becomes part of your normal everyday vocabulary.
Beef Cheek
AG
Feel like some of y'all are really sleeping on Truth.

They've served up some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Still think about my first trip to the Brenham location.

IronRed13
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Feel like some of y'all are really sleeping on Truth.

They've served up some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Still think about my first trip to the Brenham location.

Fantastic. And if we're having to judge BBQ by the sides now, Truth has some amazing Brussel sprouts!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.