Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***Fish and Game Cookbook***

9,834 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HTownAg98
Outdoorag011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This page is great!

Anyone have a good recipe for cooking different cuts from a wild hog?
Lola68
Love The Yardarm! They've been cooking that "Snapper Papillote" for ever.
Max06
AG
Took a young elk heifer Sunday.

Before:

During:

After(part 1, of many).
Seared tenderloin with mushrooms and onions, broccoli from the garden. Little vino. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic. Nothing fancy. Sear in cast iron and moved to 350* oven to finish at 120* internal

I processed the quarters yesterday and packaged a lot of steaks, stew meat, trim for grinding. Tomorrow I'm breaking down the rib cage and making some bone-in chops, short ribs, neck roasts, etc.

Bone-in chops were excellent!

FIDO*98*
AG
Made Snapper Fish Tacos for dinner

Snapper rub
Salt, pepper, old bay, ancho powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano

Salsa Macha
Olive oil, garlic cloves, blanched almonds, sesame seeds, guajillo pods

Chipotle Mayo
Mayo, crema, chipotle puree, lime juice, salt

Ornlu
AG
Now THAT is a taco I'd gladly pay $12 a piece for.
EFE
AG
Stuffed Flounder Ponchartrain
Sauce(1hr)
-1 small onion, finely diced, combined with 1cup Chardonnay on low heat until you evaporate all the wine and onions are translucent
-in another pan make a blonde roux and add 2 cups fish/shrimp stock, bring to a boil
-add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms and a finely diced jalapeƱo and garlic to your liking along with a pinch of tarragon and thyme and simmer until soft
-once soft, kill heat and add 1/2 cup butter in tablespoon chunks until all are melted
-combine with the onions and hit it with the immersion blender while warming back up on low heat

Rice(15 min)
-1 cup standard white rice cooked and fluffed

Flounder (25min, plus 15 to combine everything)
-fresh caught whole flounder filet'd/deboned so that you still have a pocket to stuff
-season inside lightly with favorite Cajun seasoning, ours is from Best Stop
-I meant to do a Maryland/New England style crab cake stuffing from scratch, but HEB was out of fresh crab, so I subbed in premade crab cakes, open your fish pocket and fill'er up
-I then sprinkled some bread crumbs and lemon slices for garnish and set it on parchment paper and into the oven at 350 for 25 min.
-after 25 min I pull the fish, add white rice to bed the pan, sauce over the rice and around the fish and back in for another 15 min to finish.

fav13andac1)c
AG
I'd order that at an anniversary dinner.
EFE
AG
We Lady and the Tramped the whole thing
FIDO*98*
AG
Blackened Redfish and Dirty Rice

FIDO*98*
AG
Thread bump. Didn't cook most of it but talked the resort chef's into letting me back into the kitchen and I knocked out the Picatta style Mahi in picture #2.

HTownAg98
Made a Venison Sunday Sauce this past week. I just took my basic sunday sauce recipe and subbed in some venison shanks and shoulder meat. Here's the recipe.

1.5# venison shanks and shoulder meat, cut against the grain into 1/2" slices.
1 large onion, minced fine
1 large carrot, minced fine
2 stalks celery, minced fine
8 oz mushrooms, minced fine (I happened to have some mushrooms left over, so they went in this dish.)
2 large garlic cloves, minced fine
2T tomato paste
1 cup red wine (something low in tannins, like pinot noir or zinfandel)
1 cup beef stock
1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes

1. Swirl some oil into a hot pan, season the meat with salt and pepper, and brown the meat on all sides in batches. Remove the meat from the pan and reserve. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
2. Add more oil if needed, and add the onion, carrot, and celery and a healthy pinch of salt. Saute that until the vegetables are soft and starting to caramelize a bit. Then add the mushrooms, and cook those down until they're soft. Add the garlic, and cook that for about 30 seconds. Next goes in the tomato paste, and cook that until it starts to lose its red color.
3. Deglaze with the red wine, and cook until the pan is almost dry. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, and go after them with a potato masher to break them up a bit. Add the meat, and add more beef stock or water barely cover the meat if needed.
4. Dump everything into a casserole dish or something suitable for your oven (if you didn't start cooking this in a dutch oven), cover, and braise for 3 hours or until the meat starts to fall apart. Remove from the oven, and remove the meat pieces from the sauce.
5. Shred the meat, removing any tendons or connective tissue that didn't break down. Add the shredded meat back to the sauce, and bring everything to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and a little red wine vinegar to brighten it up if it needs it. Serve it with some pappardelle and a shower of cheese.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.