Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***Fish and Game Cookbook***

9,847 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HTownAg98
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it would be fun to have a thread where we show off our harvest and how we prepare it. I'll kick things off with my favorite way to eat Redfish

Crispy Blackened Redfish with Creamy Creole Shrimp sauce

I'm Start by making the sauce.
3 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cayenne
1/2 c. reduced shrimp stock (I buy head on shrimp and simmer heads in about 3 cups of water and reduce to 1c.)
1/2 c white wine
2 bay leaves
1 (15-oz.) can whole tomatoes, crushed
2 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 c heavy cream
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined

Saut vegetables in butter until tender. Add everything up to the heavy cream and simmer 10mins. Remove bay leaves. Hit with an immersion blender, add heavy cream and simmer for about 5 mins more.

Saut the shrimp in olive oil until just under done. Pour sauce over shrimp and set aside while making the fish

4 Redfish Filets
2 Tbls plus 1/4c Blackened Redfish Magic
1/4 c AP flour
1/2 c potato starch
Peanut oil

Whisk together flour, starch, and 1/4c blackening seasoning. Pat Redfish dry and season with 2 Tbls Blackening seasoning. Dredge in flour/starch blend. Pour oil to a depth of 1/4" in a heavy pan. Heat on med high to 350. Gently place the redfish in the oil and cook until golden, flipping once. When redfish are done, bring shrimp sauce up to a simmer. Plate the redfish and spoon 1/2c of the shrimp sauce over the top.

HTownAg98
This is the only way I do venison loin now.
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2017/07/25/jacques-pepin-venison-steaks-recipe/

Another one is to take your favorite paella recipe, and add quail to it.
lazuras_dc
AG
This beer batter fish recipe is pretty incredible

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/the-best-beer-battered-fish-recipe
big ben
AG
Is the OB cookbook link still around?
EFE
AG
Shrimp Ettouffee (best shrimp is bartered for with cheap beer when you're getting chum for Tuna/Snapper offshore from shrimp boats on your way out)

1.5 lbs shrimp
1 bunch of celery
1 large onion
2 bell peppers
2 Jalapenos
1 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp celery seeds
2 tblspn Worchester
2 tablspn Cajun Seasoning (I use Best Stop)
1 tsp white pepper
2 tblspn Crystal Hot sauce
2 tablsn Sambal ouelek
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
4-5 cloves garlic
16oz seafood stock

-Brown butter then add flour to build your roux, I go for a shade darker than peanut butter
-Add in trinity and jalapenos and sautee until onions are clear
-Add in seafood stock a 1/4 cup at a time, it usually locks up at 2nd cup, motor through with the other two, it'll be fine
-Add Garlic, Celery seeds, white pepper, worchester, Cajun seasoning, Crystal, Sambal, and let simmer 30 min
-Kill the heat and add the shrimp and 1/2 the green onions
-Leave alone for 20min while the shimp cook, they shouldn't over cook and just start to curl up

Serve over white rice or by itself with a hunk of French bread to sop up the juices, garnish with remaining green onion

Second pic is with gruyere bacon biscuits, but that's the fiances recipe and I'm sure she just googled it

EFE
AG
Sous vide venison hind shank

One venison shank
1 package chopped mushrooms (savory mix if available)
1 small package baby carrots
1 stalk celery
1 small package baby Dutch potatoes
1 small package baby sweet potatoes
1 bunch green onion
5-6 small Pearl onions
2 sprigs ea. Rosemary and Thyme
1 stick butter
5 ice cubes
Palm full of kosher salt
Palm full of coarse black pepper

-Sear shank/hind leg roast to get a quick bit of color/maillard
-stuff everything in a gallon sized sous vide bag or roll your own that fits everything
-dunk in the hot tub at 170 for 24hrs
-people will drink the broth like savages because it's ridiculously delicious
-I'm people
Matsui
AG
Excellent thread
Beckdiesel03
AG
Our neighbor goes offshore a lot and trades beer for shrimp. I can attest it's fantastic and can't compare to store bought. I've never been so happy to trade whitetail for shrimp bc we get a ton of whitetail and not a lot of chances to get fresh shrimp. Diesel kids can go through several pounds of shrimp like nothing and they aren't big eaters.
EFE
AG
Tuna Poke (bowl or nachos)

1lb fresh tuna cubed
Generous splash of sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tblspn Sambal Oulek
Combine everything and let sit like 5-10 min if you're hungry, if making for a crowd a like to let it sit 30min before plating
Garnish with avocado, green onions, serranos, sesame seeds and sriracha Mayo

SpiderDude
AG
I harvested some swordfish streaks at the Heeb. Sous vided at 130F with salt, pepper, lemon, butter and fresh thyme. Removed from bags and reverse seared with butter and thyme baste. Served with leek and potato puree and green bean almondine.
GAC06
AG
I'd eat that
FIDO*98*
AG
My version of Snapper Vera Cruz.

This should cover 8-10 filets
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves of garlic, finely diced or sliced like Goodfellas
1 Large Onion, thin sliced
1 Poblano and/or 1 red Bell pepper roasted, peeled, and julienned
1/2 cup white wine
1 small can cherry tomatoes
1/2 Cup Sliced Spanish Queen olives
2 Tbls Capers
1 Tsp dried Mexican oregano
About an inch squirt of Anchovy paste (a few dashes of Fish Sauce works too)
1 Tbls chipotle puree
1 Tbls Honey
Juice from 1 lime
Dash of sherry vinegar
Chopped cilantro (optional)

Saut the veggies until tender and then add everything else and simmer another 10 minutes or so until thickened

For the fish, season with salt and pepper or a Mexican dry rub (I mix salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, anch powder, and cumin). After seasoning, dip in melted butter and re-season. Immediately grill or broil. Top with Vera Cruz sauce. If you are feeling lazy, it's also acceptable to just bake it off with the sauce on.

BusterAg
AG
Flounder breakfast.

Panko, olive oil, lemon, capers for garnish, maybe some garlic powder.

Lightly pan fry Panko crusted founder. Spritz of lemon.

Serve with over easy egg on top.

Best breakfast ever.

FIDO*98*
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Thought it would be fun to have a thread where we show off our harvest and how we prepare it

EFE gets it

HTownAg98
I'm not sure the mods would appreciate me showing off a bunch of does shot in the head with my venison recipes.
agcrock2005
AG
EFE said:

Sous vide venison hind shank

One venison shank
1 package chopped mushrooms (savory mix if available)
1 small package baby carrots
1 stalk celery
1 small package baby Dutch potatoes
1 small package baby sweet potatoes
1 bunch green onion
5-6 small Pearl onions
2 sprigs ea. Rosemary and Thyme
1 stick butter
5 ice cubes
Palm full of kosher salt
Palm full of coarse black pepper

-Sear shank/hind leg roast to get a quick bit of color/maillard
-stuff everything in a gallon sized sous vide bag or roll your own that fits everything
-dunk in the hot tub at 170 for 24hrs
-people will drink the broth like savages because it's ridiculously delicious
-I'm people

I can't wait to try this. I kill a lot of deer every year and am getting tired of just steaks, sausage and ground meat. I had decided this year I was going to experiment on some different cuts.
Gilligan
AG
Redfish or Trout:

1 pkg HEB Pico
Olive oil
Squeeze of lime juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Avacado cubed.

Get as much pico as you think you'll need. For empty nesters like us I buy the small pkg of pico medium or hot and one avacado.

Dump everything into a bowl except the avocado and mix well with a spoon. Gently fold in the avocado and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Pull from fridge and set aside.

Take your filets and run your hands over them for any rib bones that may be left. None of us are perfect. If Redfish cut out the blood line. rinse, pat dry and coat in olive oil and sprinkle Paul Prudhomme Blackened Redfish Magic liberally, but from 12" to 16" above the fish. **

Using a cast iron skillet heat up a little olive oil and a tbl spoon of real butter. When the butter melts and the pan is hot, place your filets and cook until done.

Serve the fish with the pico avocado mixture and your favorite sides*** / beverages and a lime wedge.

Please subscribe to my channel if you like the recipe

** For a long time I used to coat the filets with olive oil and rub the seasoning in. Since I've gone to the sprinkle from a distance method they've turned out better.

*** couscous with roasted broccoli or roasted brussels sprouts are great options.

Some Laguna Madre Logs from last weekend:

Gilligan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Thought it would be fun to have a thread where we show off our harvest and how we prepare it. I'll kick things off with my favorite way to eat Redfish

Crispy Blackened Redfish with Creamy Creole Shrimp sauce

I'm Start by making the sauce.
3 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cayenne
1/2 c. reduced shrimp stock (I buy head on shrimp and simmer heads in about 3 cups of water and reduce to 1c.)
1/2 c white wine
2 bay leaves
1 (15-oz.) can whole tomatoes, crushed
2 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 c heavy cream
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined

Saut vegetables in butter until tender. Add everything up to the heavy cream and simmer 10mins. Remove bay leaves. Hit with an immersion blender, add heavy cream and simmer for about 5 mins more.

Saut the shrimp in olive oil until just under done. Pour sauce over shrimp and set aside while making the fish. When redfish are done, bring shrimp sauce up to a simmer. Plate the redfish and spoon 1/2c of the shrimp sauce over the top.

This sauce is outstanding! Hats off to Fido!

I added a little Tabasco and Cajun hot sauce, but it was great. It makes a lot too. I served 6 people and had a lot left over.

Easy to prep for this as well.

Edit: the sauce on top of Parmesan Couscous is pretty darn good too.

Thank you for sharing.
Gilligan
AG
FIDO,

Ever made your recipe with crawfish tails?
DiskoTroop
This is the family dove recipe. I guess it's sort of a cacciatore? Not even sure. We just said we were gonna cook doves, and it meant this:

30 dove breasts

salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 small onions (diced)
2-3 carrots (peeled, diced)
2-3 stalks celery (diced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1.5 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 sprig fresh rosemary
6 sprigs fresh thyme

Season and sous vide dove for 12 hours @ 85*C. Remove from bath and chill.

Pull meat from bone once chilled.

Add olive oil, onion, celery, carrot, cook until onion translucent. Add herbs, garlic and tomato paste. Cook a minute or two until fragrant.
Deglaze pan with wine. Add chicken stock. Add doves. Simmer 45 min-1 hour. Add flour for thicker stew if desired. Doves will begin to fall apart a bit if done properly.

1 cup polenta
3 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
pinch salt
3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese

Additional cheese for table

Bring liquid and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or so or until creamy. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in 3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese just before removing from heat.

Strategy
AG
Fido have you ever tried Cracker Meal to fry fish?
htxag09
AG
Venison: We just keep the backstrap in larger pieces and sous vide.

When we have fresh speckled trout, and sometimes redfish, we make spicy ceviche. The recipe I got from my mom is below, but we'll typically modify with whatever looks fresh or with whatever we have

1 lb of fish
6 limes
3 medium tomatoes
1 green pepper
2 bermuda onions
2 jalepenos
1/2 cup olives
1/4 cup EVOO
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
4 tbs fresh cilantro
12 tsp hotsauce
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup ketchup (we leave out, we never have ketchup in the house)
salt and peper

FIDO*98*
AG
You bet, only way I roll

FIDO*98* Fish Fry

This is good for about 2lbs filets

First I make a beer batter with Shiner and Self rising flour mixed to crepe batter consistency. Usually about a cup of flour and about 10oz beer. Season the batter with some slap yo momma seasoning. Add fish/peeled shrimp and let soak for about 2 hours.

Next I put a sleve of Keebler Club (town house or ritz are fine too) plus a sleve of Keebler Saltines in a food processor with about 1/4 c of parsley (probably about 3 sprigs in a bunch without the big stems) and zest of a 1/4 lemon. Run everything in a food processor until you have some relatively fine seasoned cracker meal. Dump in a large bowl and add in a 8oz box of Panko and a Cup of self rising flour. Season with about 3 tablespoons of Slap ya Momma. Mix well. Depending on my mood I may add 1/2-1C cornmeal or corn flour as well. MSG/accent never hurts either

Last summer with 2 of my Aggie Nephews

FIDO*98*
AG
Gilligan said:

Ever made your recipe with crawfish tails?
. Absolutely. When there aren't enough leftovers from a boil for etouffee, fish topper is the best use for leftover bugs
EFE
AG
Snapper Throats

Have whoever cleans your fish save the throats next time you fish deep. Ridiculously easy and tasty as well.

Prep:
Coat with a light spritz of spray butter and dust with your favorite Cajun seasoning. Put on a hot grill (350+) and cook indirectly for about 30-45min depending on thickness. No pretty way to eat these, caveman style is the only option.

Lola68
Show off
Matsui
EFE
AG
Lola68 said:

Show off
Lola68
Good looking fish!
FIDO*98*
AG
I did a little riff on Stuffed Flounder and filled it with a thick Mornay sauce rather than the usual crab cake style filling. This is now my standard way to make it. It creates more of a hybrid sauce/filling and the extra gets put in a ramekin so everyone gets plenty.

Preheat Oven to 400
Crab Mornay Filling
1 stick Butter
1/2c diced sweet onion
3-4 green onions, finely sliced
1/4c finely diced Italian parsley
3Tbls AP Flour
1 Pint Half and Half
8oz Gruyere, grated
1 Tablespoon Sherry
1 Tbls Worcestershire
1 teaspoon Coleman's dry mustard
Red Pepper to Taste
Salt to Taste
1 lb. Gulf lump Crab Meat
1/2 c Panko

Melt 6 Tbls butter in heavy pot and saut onions, green onions, and parsley. Cook until tender. Add flour and cook until light blonde. Whisk in cream and cook until it simmers and thickens a bit. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cheese until cheese is melted. Add other ingredients and gently fold in crab meat

Melt remaining 2 Tbls butter and mix well with panko

Stuff Flounder with Mornay filling and put any leftovers into a ramekin or small souffle dish. Top with panko. Insert thermometer into thickest part of flounder and cook to 140

EFE
AG
Shrimp over Polenta

(30lbs of shrimp and a 50lb sack of chum were obtained for 18 Bud lights this past weekend, the chum helped catch the Snapper in the previous post)

Basically a riff on Bobby Flays shrimp and grits

Creamy Polenta:
(Do this first)
1 cup Polenta
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt

Boil liquids and salt and add polenta and drop heat to low and let hang out for 20-30 min, depending on polenta quality

Once you get past the baby sit part of the first 5min or so of cooking grits/polenta switch to the shrimp

Shrimp for this recipe:
(Chop and dice veggies after you start the polenta/grits)

1lb fresh gulf shrimp
1 jalapeno- diced
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 green onion, white and light green part finely chopped
1/4 cup real bacon bits
Juice from one lemon
Dusting of Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup chicken broth/stock
1 tblspn chopped garlic
Finely chopped green onion tops

On high Saute to just starting to carmelize the veggies and bacon, add garlic and get aromatic, add lemon juice and broth. Get bubbly, add shrimp and kill the heat. By now your polenta should be just about ready to come off)

Plate polenta, then shrimp stuff on top, garnish with green onion tops

Tailgate88
AG
This thread!
FIDO*98*
AG
Placeholder. Had to freeze the birds at my in-laws due to travel situation. Here's the recipe, will post pictures next time I serve them up

Recipe is from Tim Love chef of Lonesome Dove in Fort Wort

Game Rub
1/2 cup Guajillo Chile Powder
1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1/4 cup friesh ground pepper
3 Tbls Brown Sugar
2 Tbls garlic powder
2 Tbls each into a spice grinder - dried rosemary, dried thyme, and toasted cumin seed. Grind until a powder

Mix everything well

Debone dove breasts and thread onto skewers or Butterfly. Brush with peanut oil or lightly warmed bacon fat and liberally coat with the spice rub. Grill over hot coals about 90 seconds per side until rare-medium rare.

I use this rub even if doing poppers now.

Version 2

1/2 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup fish sauce
2 Tbls Hoisin
1/4 c chopped cilantro
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2" ginger peeled and grated on a microplane

Mix well and pour 2/3 over dove. Marinate for a few hours. Grill as above using reserved marinade to brush after turning

Reserve
1/3 c honey mixed with 1/3 c Sriracha, mix well in a squirt bottle
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Chopped Cilantro
finely chopped peanuts

Sprinkle seeds, cilantro, and peanuts over dove then drizzle with honey/sriracha

HTownAg98
Good. I can use some dove recipes that aren't of the wrapped in bacon type.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Annual fishing trip with my dad complete!

Redfish en papillote. Decided to divert from the typical grilled/blackened redfish. This is such a rare treat for us nowadays, I decided to take a page from Yardarm in Corpus Christi and serve this up French style, including buttered potatoes.

Herbage included lemon, garlic, basil, capers, onions, and bay leaf, but you can use pretty much anything you have, as long as the flavoring ingredients go together. Followed the basic instructions for wrapping from this YouTube video. Put a couple tablespoons of white wine in each bag to help the steaming process along. 400 for 15 minutes.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.