Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

First calzone with Anna Napoletana tipo 00 flour

2,410 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dirty Sock
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bought some Caputo brand 00 a few years back, happy with the dough it makes, but the taste is bland, and you have to let it cold ferment for a day or so to get any decent taste. Decided to try Anna Napoletana recently in a calzone, and I'm happy with the flavor, texture, and strength of the dough.

Filling is hot Italian sausage with peppers and onions.
FIDO*98*
AG
Looks really good. I've been doing more Calzones and Stromboli than pizza lately too. I've got a bag of the 00 recently bought from HEB and may have to give this a go.
Buzzy

HEB has a store-brand 00? Any good?
deadhead aggie
AG
I won't speak on behalf of the flour, but HEB has this........

If you're looking to make an authentic Neapolitan dipping sauce for your calzones, you can't go wrong here. Open the can, drain half the juice, add a pinch of salt, some dried oregano, some crushed red pepper, and a bit of EVOO. Puree all of it right there in the can until it's smooth. Warm it in a pan and you're good to go!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
****! I love a calzone.
FIDO*98*
AG
Looks like it was the Anna Napoletana brand that I bought at the HEB.

Here's one of my Stromboli I made.with bread flour. Should have let the oven get hotter, but, the family sure didn't complain

philevans
AG
been using HEB frozen pizza dough for calzones,
brush melted butter for better baked color.
TXlic GIGM61
Buzzy

I don't think the problem there was oven temp, the issue is your dough is too wet. You're basically using too much dough, so it is going to end up being undercooked unless you're dealing with a 700 degree oven. How many cups of flour and how much water did you use?

I wouldn't put olive oil under the dough while cooking it unless you intend to fry the dough, although on that one it is just adding to the over-hydration.

Dough also looks a little lumpy, like you didn't mix it enough and didn't hand stretch it enough. This can also happen because there is too much hydration. Getting the hydration level right is consistently the biggest challenge when making your own dough.
Max Power
AG

Buzzy
The Dirty Sock
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.