Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Alamo Cafe Tortilla Soup

12,407 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rononeill
AgNav93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made this last weekend and the family loved it. I'll be using this recipe from now on. Thanks for posting.
Phrasing
AG
What's the process for steeping the chiles? do you just boil water, remove from heat and put the pods in for 5-10 minutes? Don't believe I've ever steeped anything before
agcrock2005
AG
Phrasing said:

What's the process for steeping the chiles? do you just boil water, remove from heat and put the pods in for 5-10 minutes? Don't believe I've ever steeped anything before
There's probably a "proper" method but I just put them in a pot, add enough water to cover, put lid on and bring to boil then shut down. After 5 minutes or so I take out and peel the skin off and de-seed and put in blender.

Again, I'm sure a chef would say my method sucks but I don't care.
Burn-It
AG
Cut the stems off & remove the seeds first (a few lingering seeds are fine). Put in small pot, cover with water. Bring to a slow boil for ~10minutes, Remove & let sit for a couple minutes. I then strain & add to the puree blender.
AKA 13-0
Phrasing
AG
No need to take the skin off?
MichaelJ
AG
Phrasing said:

No need to take the skin off?

Off a dried Chile? I didn't know you could do that

But no - you don't need to de-skin the chiles.
Phrasing
AG
Gracias
MichaelJ
AG
Just bumping this thread with cold weather on the horizon -
With some mods, this has become a staple recipe in our house
rononeill
totally agree; no stars for me, so I've got this bookmarked! Like you said, this is a staple - especially with winter here and ski trips in the forecast!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.