Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade Egg nog recipe

26,438 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AggieOO
BreckCO2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Post your egg nog recipe please. I'm okay with it not being simple.
jah003
S
https://www.food.com/recipe/aged-eggnog-recipe-alton-brown-537589
The only recipe you'll ever need.
BreckCO2000
AG
I appreciate it!
tlepoC
AG
Mine is basically that but 4 cups of whiskey vs 1. No half and half. Aged for 12 months.

Es muy good
12thAngryMan
AG
Dangit, every year I see these threads around Christmas time and think "Next year, I'm going to make that eggnog that takes weeks to age". Then I forget about it for 12 months until I see these threads again a few days before Christmas.
tlepoC
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Dangit, every year I see these threads around Christmas time and think "I'm going to make that eggnog that takes weeks to age". Then I forget about it for 12 months until I see these threads again a few days before Christmas.

I just make extra at Christmas for that scenario and stash it in the fridge until next year. I try to make my main batch the weekend after Thanksgiving. Easy reminder and is part of tradition now.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Dangit, every year I see these threads around Christmas time and think "Next year, I'm going to make that eggnog that takes weeks to age". Then I forget about it for 12 months until I see these threads again a few days before Christmas.
Weeks? I had a jar of it last Wednesday that had been aging for 26 months.
SpiderDude
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

12thAngryMan said:

Weeks? I had a jar of it last Wednesday that had been aging for 26 months.
rilloaggie
AG
I'm cracking open a jar that's about 17 months old on Christmas!
sanitariex
AG
I have two quart mason jars from two years ago still on back of fridge. While Alton's egg nog is delicious, the creaminess isn't really my preference of drinks. But every now and then I pull a swig and remember just how great this recipe is. Need to have a big Christmas bash and enjoy them, and make some more!
dmart90
AG
Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 6 ounces sugar
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 ounces orange liqueur
  • 2 ounces cognac
  • Double shot of espresso (cooled)
  • 6 ounces of bourbon (something spicy and rye forward I used Bulleit)
  • 10 ounces milk
  • 10 ounces heavy cream or half and half

Directions
[ol]
  • Blend the eggs in a blender for 1 minute
  • Add sugar and spices and blend for 30 seconds
  • Add alcohol and espresso and blend for 30 seconds
  • Add milk and cream and blend for 1 minute
  • (Ideally refrigerate over night)
  • Pour into cup and add a dash of cinnamon
  • Enjoy!
  • [/ol]
    Not as thick as traditional nog, but the espresso and bourbon really compliment the spices.
    coastalAg
    AG
    Any tips for storing it if you make it a year ahead of time. May go ahead and make next years batch now since I always forget too.
    Ducks4brkfast
    AG
    Just put it in the fridge.
    Dr. Horrible
    Separate 12 eggs and keep the whites. Beat the yolks for about 2 min. Add 1 lb powdered sugar and beat until light yellow. Beat in 2c liquor, cover and refrigerate for an hour
    Add 2-4c liquor and 2qt heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. Beat the whites until stiff and fold in
    Ratio of 4-1-1 bourbon/Canadian whiskey (depending on your preference) - cognac - spiced rum
    Makes roughly 1.5 gallons
    Ducks4brkfast
    AG
    That makes 1.5 gallons?
    Max Power
    AG
    The nice thing about egg nog is how easily you can customize it to your taste, or what you have on hand. Bourbon, rum, brandy, cognac, whiskey, liqueur of your choice such as orange, chocolate, peppermint. You can make it and drink immediately or age it if you have the time.

Or if making a batch for your enemies you can use gin. Want to ruin the company Christmas party...add some gin. The holiday spirit can turn to anger quickly.
    Dr. Horrible
    Give or take a bit. Beating the egg whites increases the volume. But it's already just shy of a gallon only counting the cream and booze.
    htxag09
    AG
    Huge fan of altons recipe, what I make every year. But can you just leave out the booze? Or anyone have a recipe with no alcohol? My mother in law loves egg nog, but doesn't drink alcohol. Issue is stores stop restocking about now and she still wants some.....
    SpiderDude
    AG
    htxag09 said:

Huge fan of altons recipe, what I make every year. But can you just leave out the booze? Or anyone have a recipe with no alcohol? My mother in law loves egg nog, but doesn't drink alcohol. Issue is stores stop restocking about now and she still wants some.....

You could leave out the booze but it won't keep long. The booze helps preserve it. Hell...I bought Bordens nog a few weeks ago and had to dump most of it last night cuz it was starting to turn.
    htxag09
    AG
    Yeah, wasn't planning on aging this batch. May even cut the recipe in half to avoid spoiling. Just make it again in a couple weeks for her.
    AgHawkeye
    AG
    ABs eggnog made on Labor Day for Christmas 2021. Also a bit of the 2020 batch saved because it's hard to make 3 rounds of it and not have a bit.
    Ag-Hawkeye
    tlepoC
    AG
    This will be the first year I have dinner agreed longer than 12 months. Tradition now to make a big batch over Thanksgiving. I've lost my fear of poisoning the elders
    Scriffer
    AG
    I've got a quart left over from last year that I was wondering about. Gonna make a new batch and compare now that I know it probably held up
    Garrelli 5000
    AG
    I made a batch of ABs the 1st week of December last year. Planned on consuming some during the holidays but a friends covid prevented our traditional gathering so the entire batch lives.

Cross fingers nothing happened to it during the Februrary complete power loss for about 12 hours Should have sat it on the patio w/the prime steaks.
    ftworthag02
    AG
    I know that I need to combine the eggs and sugar in a glass bowl but is it ok to combine everything together in a large stainless pot (pasta)? We don't have a gallon & half or 2 gallon plastic container.
    Going to transfer it to several 32oz mason jars for the fridge
    tlepoC
    AG
    Sure, why not? Just clean it real well, obviously.

On a separate note, I would like to call out that the first thing I thought of when the power went out for a week during snowpocalypse was my batch of nog. It will be a special batch this holiday season.
    ftworthag02
    AG
    I just wasn't sure if there would be some kind of chemical reaction, HA!, if it was mixed in a metal container since it says to mix the eggs in a glass bowl. Planning on throwing it together tonight. Thank you!
    ftworthag02
    AG
    So I combined the eggs & sugar w/ a whisk until there was a ribbon but then I slowly added the egg mixture to the dairy/alcohol mix (since it was in a larger pot). It seemed to be fairly incorporated but when I got to the bottom of the pot when filling the mason jars I found some residual yolk and nutmeg. Am I good or should I start over? I watched the Alton Brown video after the fact and saw that he used a hand mixer for everything and added the dairy/alcohol to the egg/sugar. Thanks!
    GCRanger
    AG
    Made the Alton Brown batch back in July. I had a half glass and holy crap it was potent. Looking forward to Thanksgiving for the next sample. The rest waits until Christmas.
    Ag 11
    AG
    What's better: powdered sugar or regular sugar?
    htxag09
    AG
    Our kitchen is currently a disaster zone undergoing a remodel. Waiting for it to be put back together so I can make some of this for the holidays!
    Ag 11
    AG
    How much does the AB recipe yield?
    RK
    AG
    I just made a batch. 3 big mason jars.

Absolute
    AG
    Made a double batch of ab last week (running late). Confirm about 6 bottles.
    fav13andac1)c
    AG
    Just whipped up a batch of AB's eggnog, had a little left over for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.