Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need a really good Pinot

4,695 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bonfirewillburn
Austintm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Objective Aggie said:

?v=1507927863

From the Caymus / Wagner family.
Belle Glos only makes Pinots and they have several others worth trying.

-
If you like sweet, order anything that the Wagner family makes. Caymus has become an abomination.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yep, American wine drinkers can talk dry but a lot actually like a little sweetness. I think we've discussed this on the wine thread a bit every now and then (you included), most recently with some Austin Hope cabernet if I remember correctly.
htxag09
AG
Have you tried any Beaujolais'? Typically pretty affordable and on the lighter tannin spectrum. If you want to spend a little more for more consistent quality look at some of the Beaujolais villages.
jh0400
AG
Barbera is another good option for avoiding tannins, and there are several good ones readily available for under $20.
MichaelJ
AG
Maybe he meant Grigio
Tumble Weed
If you want something nice, I would buy a Pommard of some type. Never had a bad one. Took one to a dinner party the other day and didn't sweat it one bit.

Didn't log it in my Vivino app and consumed too much that evening so I can't remember the label.

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

have you considered taking an antihistamine?

No, they usually knock me out, but I could give it a try. It hasn't always been this way with me & reds. Only became an issue a few years ago. Strange.
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks for the suggestions!
Austintm
Chipotlemonger said:

Yep, American wine drinkers can talk dry but a lot actually like a little sweetness. I think we've discussed this on the wine thread a bit every now and then (you included), most recently with some Austin Hope cabernet if I remember correctly.
You are correct, Sir
Tumble Weed
Found them in my Vivino scans.
Charles Pere & Fille Pommard
Domaine Berthelemot Pommard Noizons
Domaine Berthelemot Beaune 1er Cru le clos de mouches.

HTownAg98
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

have you considered taking an antihistamine?

No, they usually knock me out, but I could give it a try. It hasn't always been this way with me & reds. Only became an issue a few years ago. Strange.

It happens. My wife used to be allergic to strawberries. She is no longer allergic to them. I've never had allergies, and now I have some kind of minor food allergy that hasn't been nailed down.
BullSprig07
AG
Here's another decently priced Pinot option that's pretty readily available. It's a collaboration that the Pisoni family (who I happen to be friends with, humble brag) is involved in. That name may not mean anything to you, but if you're looking for a wine wormhole to go down today, there you go.

Water Turkey07
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks - I'll look for it. I just hate to spend a bunch & then not drink it.
HTownAg98
I think at one time Gary said that his second biggest cash crop was grapes. I'll let you guess what #1 was.
BullSprig07
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I think at one time Gary said that his second biggest cash crop was grapes. I'll let you guess what #1 was.
Classic Gary
Water Turkey07
Chipotlemonger
AG
Any updates, OP?
bonfirewillburn
AG
Arista, EOT. But I'm VERY partial. Lucky Well vineyard and done at that price pint.

Howdy Y'all, couldn't stay away from this one, how the heck is this (op) a bad question....

Recently did a dinner with Enkidu, like their juice, but it's not this good (have multiple bottles on my list, Odyssey Syrah FYW!)

BSD, your expected in Abilene soon....chop chop.

bonfirewillburn
AG
I also had the Luli on my menu for a while, decent juice for the price! Might pick it back up soon now! Thanks for the reminder, it did well for me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.