Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need a really good Pinot

4,683 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bonfirewillburn
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
to send as a gift.

Any price range really up to $150.

Ideas?
Mookie
AG
Can I find one for $75, you buy two and send me one?
aggiedata
AG
In the $75 range:

Penner Ash - first had it at Geronimo in Sante Fe
Merry Edwards
EastTexAg14
AG
Had some of Ram's Gate Gap's Crown Pinot Noir a few weeks back and was impressed. Should be able to order from their website. If they are a big wine drinker and knowledgeable stay away from Belle Glos.
htxag09
AG
Weird request. But honestly pretty much all pinots in that price range will be good.

Also, doesn't seem like many American pinots are widely distributed/available above the $100 price range.

If for whatever reason you really want or need to spend $150, your best bet will be a burgundy. Those will be more easily available in the $100 and up range. Again, any burgundy at $150 that is imported here should be good. So I wouldn't fret too much over which one.
Greener Acres
AG
Look at Domaine Serene (Yamhill ($50) or Evenstad Reserve ($75)) and Archery Summit (Arcus $100). You probably can't get the Soter White Label ($100 from winery) at stores but its another good option and they do have their Mineral Springs Pinot at Total Wine ($75). These are all Oregon pinots that are going to be lighter in body than the California ones. Somebody already mentioned Merry Edwards which is a good pinot option in California. I haven't had Goldeneye but lots of people seem to like it.

You may find some higher priced options in the French Bourgogne category.
Bruce Almighty
AG
ZD Founder's Reserve. Its around 80 dollars. 150 is quite a bit for a Pinot.
FancyKetchup14
AG
There's some slam dunk Pinots out there for ~$50:

Enkidu
Goldeneye
Twomey
The Silverback
AG
htxag09 said:

Weird request. But honestly pretty much all pinots in that price range will be good.

Also, doesn't seem like many American pinots are widely distributed/available above the $100 price range.

If for whatever reason you really want or need to spend $150, your best bet will be a burgundy. Those will be more easily available in the $100 and up range. Again, any burgundy at $150 that is imported here should be good. So I wouldn't fret too much over which one.
Why is asking for a wine rec a weird request?
htxag09
AG
Asking for a wine rec isn't a weird request. Asking where the only attribute given is varietal and then price is a bit weird. Again, especially at that price. You can simply walk into a wine shop and pick something out, it'll be good.

Just a lot of things more important than price. Do they like a specific region, style, etc.?
The Silverback
AG
Clearly I know nothing about wine, hence the request for a recommendation. Used the price point so people wouldn't suggest bottles that exceeded that. Was going to be a gift so did not want to bother asking specific questions about regions or preference as that takes away from the spirit of a gift IMO.
FIDO*98*
AG
People who buy $150 bottles of wine don't hang out on the TexAgs food board.-Go to a specialty wine store and get some help there
HTownAg98
I beg your pardon. There's lots of us here that will spend that much on wine. Some spend way, way more than I do. You can look through wine thread on this forum and find tons of them.

Back on topic, Peter Michael Ma Daneuse can usually be found around $130-$150. I've had some of the Pinots from Raen (Carlo Mondavi's project) that retail around $100 that are excellent. Anything from Kosta Browne should fit within your budget and will be great. Evening Land and Domaine Serene are great too. You really can't go wrong once you break the $75/bottle barrier.
htxag09
AG
I gathered that. And nothing wrong with not caring about wine. I do disagree with asking questions taking away from the spirit of the gift, though. Wine people are weird. Some love to hate certain regions and/or styles.

But your statement makes me double down even more on just going to a local wine shop or a specs, total wine type store. Not a lot of options at that price point, so you could easily get a recommendation here than the stores near you not have it.
bularry
FancyKetchup14 said:

There's some slam dunk Pinots out there for ~$50:

Enkidu
Goldeneye
Twomey
those are for a decidedly American palate. I wouldn't want them, personally.

If you are willing to spend that much you can get a nice Burgundy at a good wine shop.

There are domestic wines in that range, but those would usually be very limited offerings of wineries that have lists/clubs and sell their wines that way and not via retail.

Might could find a Beaux Freres for about $100 at a retail shop.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Found myself in a similar situation a few days ago. I saw BSD post a 2013 Rivers-Marie Sliver Eagle Vineyard Pinot in the "what's in your cellar thread", so that's what I ended up getting for my dad. Hope I'm there when he opens it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Silverback said:

to send as a gift.

Any price range really up to $150.

Ideas?
If you can't garner any more info from the recipient on what kind of Pinots they like, I think breaking this up into 2+ bottles would be a great idea. You can get 2 Pinots that add up to that amount that can vary from one another. There are a lot of expressions and styles of it out there.

My suggestion would be:

- 1 single vineyard bottle from a producer like Arista Winery. Here is a Pinot Noir of theirs from the Russian River Valley a well known appellation for the varietal. If the person is a fan of Pinot Noirs, chances are they will like one from the Russian River Valley.

- 1 bottle from another region of your choice...

• Anderson Valley/Mendocino - I think you can find some amazing Pinots here off the beaten path. This county is not talked about as much, it's more remote, cool climate wines
  • Sta Rita Hills/Santa Barbara - Great AVA in Santa Barbara County
  • Oregon - The story of Oregon is Pinot Noir. As others have mentioned, there are some well known appellations here (Eola-Amity Hills, Yamhill-Carlton, etc.). Penner-Ash was brought up and is a great recommendation. Someone on this thread recently took a trip to Oregon and stopped there, among many other places.

I love talking Pinot Noir, message me if you would like!
Viper16
AG

Le Versant.......reasonably priced

#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Austintm
I'm not really a Pinot fan, but Aubert consistently makes very highly-rated Pinot (and Chardonnay). Some consider Mark Aubert the top maker of California Pinot. They are in that price range. Hard to find in stores because they are highly allocated, but you can find them online.
cypress-ag
AG
Can I just suggest a case of Pinot for 150 and forget a bottle for 150? After 3 glasses no one will even care!
BSD
AG
Austintm said:

I'm not really a Pinot fan, but Aubert consistently makes very highly-rated Pinot (and Chardonnay). Some consider Mark Aubert the top maker of California Pinot. They are in that price range. Hard to find in stores because they are highly allocated, but you can find them online.

Benchmark Wines had several this week. I'm not sure if they ship to Texas, though. Worth a shot.
djmeen95
AG
We love Bacigalupi - a little vineyard out in Healdsburg. Their Pinots are great.

Looks like they're doing some gift boxes too for Christmas. Here's a link. Great family and great wine.

https://bacigalupivineyards.com/product/bacigalupis-box-of-favorite-things-holiday-gift-box-with-the-2018-pinotnoir

And here's a link to their current Pinot:
https://bacigalupivineyards.com/product/2018-pinot-noir
Austintm
BSD said:

Austintm said:

Benchmark Wines had several this week. I'm not sure if they ship to Texas, though. Worth a shot.
They don't I've checked before
jh0400
AG
With that budget I'd look at a Grand or 1er Cru burgundy. I really like the wines from the Gevrey Chambertin or Vosne Romanee regions.

If you want to stay domestic, Archery Summit Arcus fits the bill.
HTownAg98
I'm not sure you can get Grand Cru Burgundy at that price range. However, there's lots of Premier Cru available at that price (some great, some not so great).
jh0400
AG
You're right. There are a handful of grand cru wines from GC that I found for under $200.

I also agree on the some good, some not comment on the 1er cru wines. It's not something I'd buy from a big box store unless I was familiar with the producer. French wines are where I've found that smaller shops with knowledgeable staff really have an advantage over Total Wine or Specs.
BSD
AG
Another thought: I can send you a bottle of Thomas pinot out of Oregon. Small producer. Doesn't have a website. Still does everything by mail, including sending in a check every year.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Big Tom Eddy fan.
Tailgate88
AG
I'd rather have two $75 bottles of Pinot than one $150 bottle. Just sayin'
DiskoTroop
I'm an absolute neophyte as it comes to wine but I enjoy Faust and Belle Glos (Dairyman, Las Alturas, Clark and Telephone) and they're ~$45 a bottle? May not fit what you're trying to do but they tend to be good drinkers at a decent price for decent wine.
Austintm
Tailgate88 said:

I'd rather have two $75 bottles of Pinot than one $150 bottle. Just sayin'
I don't drink enough Pinot to say how big the difference is between a $75 Pinot and a $150 Pinot. There is a noticeable difference (in general) in a $75 Cab v a $150 Cab.
Objective Aggie
AG
?v=1507927863

From the Caymus / Wagner family.
Belle Glos only makes Pinots and they have several others worth trying.
rgt99
Williams-Selyem pinot Noir Estate, you can find it at total wine. Extremely great tasting wine
schwack schwack
AG
Not to derail the thread - if I am, let me know & I'll make a post.... but, what are some less expensive Pinots for more "everyday" drinking. I have a problem with tannins or something in red wines that make my cheeks flush and I don't enjoy it. It's disappointing because we love reds & Pinots are the best option I've found trying to avoid it.
HTownAg98
A to Z, Erath, and J all make an affordable Pinot now. Affordability and good usually don't go together with Pinot noir, but those are going to be your best bets for cheap Pinot.

If that is happening to you, have you considered taking an antihistamine?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.