Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Where can I buy good coffee that won't break the bank?

6,221 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tailgate88
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a Blue Bottle subscription but canceled that recently because of how much it costs.

I've bought beans at Houndstooth in Dallas from Tweed Roasters but that stuff is expensive as well.

Anyone know of any other good options that are less expensive?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I've been buying Independence Coffee from Amazon recently and have really enjoyed it.

Their flagship is Jet Fuel, and I like that one, but my personal fave has been their pecan.

https://www.amazon.com/Independence-Coffee-Multi-Origin-Roast-Whole/dp/B00I50MR62/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs2_0?cv_ct_cx=independence+coffee&dchild=1&keywords=independence+coffee&pd_rd_i=B00I50MR62&pd_rd_r=345408ce-157f-44dd-923b-276c53299bc1&pd_rd_w=mQDoZ&pd_rd_wg=4vj0D&pf_rd_p=99c7ce93-69a7-402a-ba4e-be326f866b88&pf_rd_r=5R8AV8EM7QYSPV6PAY3X&psc=1&qid=1601564957&sr=1-2-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d

$17 for 24 oz. And they are located in Brenham!
schmellba99
AG
Independence out of Brehnam
Lola Savannah out of Houston
Indies out of Houston
Dodd's out of Houston
ORAggieFan
Dodd's is great and he posts here.
AgNav93
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

I've been buying Independence Coffee from Amazon recently and have really enjoyed it.

Their flagship is Jet Fuel, and I like that one, but my personal fave has been their pecan.

https://www.amazon.com/Independence-Coffee-Multi-Origin-Roast-Whole/dp/B00I50MR62/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs2_0?cv_ct_cx=independence+coffee&dchild=1&keywords=independence+coffee&pd_rd_i=B00I50MR62&pd_rd_r=345408ce-157f-44dd-923b-276c53299bc1&pd_rd_w=mQDoZ&pd_rd_wg=4vj0D&pf_rd_p=99c7ce93-69a7-402a-ba4e-be326f866b88&pf_rd_r=5R8AV8EM7QYSPV6PAY3X&psc=1&qid=1601564957&sr=1-2-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d

$17 for 24 oz. And they are located in Brenham!
I live on jet fuel. That stuff is great.
Potcake
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Howdy Dodd
Bassmaster
AG
We order Independence as well.
Scriffer
AG
Another vote for Dodd
GarlandAg2012
AG
White Rock Coffee is local to Dallas and roasts some really nice stuff I believe. You can also get raw beans if you want to try roasting yourself.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
CrawfordAg
AG
I used to grab Independence at H-E-B but now I order directly from their site. They have a lot more small batch and experimental options as well as larger bags at a better value.

https://www.independencecoffee.com/

jah003
S
I toggle back in forth between some of my favorite roasters (Slate, Heart, etc.) and middle of the road stuff like Ruta Maya and Independence. It seems like if you want a good bean you're going to have to pay no matter what.

I have tried Dodd and have been impressed with their beans. They seem to be somewhat cheaper than some of the other specialty roasters as well.

I live in Austin and I want to like Cuvee, but I've been less than impressed with their beans for the price.
htxag09
AG
I have some local, houston, coffee shops I've grown to really like, boomtown, yellow cup, Catalinas, 2nd cup. But it seems like all these places focus on where the beans are from, which I know is important. But I'd love to be able to take the same beans and try different roasts. One handicap is I don't have a grinder. I know, I know, it's huge and I need one. It's on the Christmas wish list.
AggieDub14
AG
Costco has some really great coffee. Ruta Maya 2.5 lb bag for like $16-$17. Whole beans. Delicious.
Tailgate88
AG
Another Jet Fuel fan here, but we buy it at HEB. The more recently coffee was roasted, the healthier it is for you. Can't get much fresher than Brenham.
Vade281
AG
https://www.ferriswheelcoffee.com/

This is great coffee that you can pick up locally in Wylie (Farmers Market) or get shipped to you. Highly recommend it!
aTm_bomb
AG
Obligatory "my back yard"?
Dumpster Fire
https://www.sunergoscoffee.com/
fav13andac1)c
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Do you have a coffee roaster in your backyard? Badass!
aTm_bomb
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

aTm_bomb said:

Do you have a coffee roaster in your backyard? Badass!
I keep one of those copa luwak critters in a dog run back there next to the chickens... keeps a healthy supply of coffee and eggs around the house.
88Warrior
AggieDub14 said:

Costco has some really great coffee. Ruta Maya 2.5 lb bag for like $16-$17. Whole beans. Delicious.

I second this...good stuff!
ktownag08
AG
I rotate beans a fair amount from small roasters, but here's my current favorite. Price is quite reasonable too through this vendor. You can buy direct from them, but it's more expensive for whatever reason.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/caffe-d-arte-capri-whole-bean-espresso
bloom
Aggie owned by some serious coffee people

https://whatsthebuzzcoffee.com/collections/coffee

The What's the Buzz owners are Guatemalan and take their coffee seriously. I think it is now in some HEB stores.
88Warrior
Java Jacks in Nacogdoches has good coffee. I enjoy their Red Dirt and Lumberjack blends...
Duncan Idaho
88Warrior said:

AggieDub14 said:

For everyday machine coffee, this is pretty hard to beat. Especially if you add adulterants
Max06
AG
+whatever on Independence Coffee's Jet Fuel.
mrmill3218
AG
What are the flavors in the jet fuel?
AggieBarstool
If sourcing online, White Rock Coffee out of Dallas, TX is the best I've ever had.
n_touch
Potcake said:

ORAggieFan said:

Howdy Dodd

Howdy, sorry been slammed lately. If you would like to try our coffee hit me up through the site and I will send you free shipping coupon. www.doddcoffee.com
tmaggies
AG
bloom said:

Aggie owned by some serious coffee people

https://whatsthebuzzcoffee.com/collections/coffee

The What's the Buzz owners are Guatemalan and take their coffee seriously. I think it is now in some HEB stores.

We don't use anything else! Awesome coffee! Try the Ethiopian HarHar.
tlepoC
AG
Yeah, cuvee kinda sucks. In Austin you should be going to Texas coffee traders
AggieDub14
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

88Warrior said:

AggieDub14 said:

For everyday machine coffee, this is pretty hard to beat. Especially if you add adulterants
Like Rum Chata or Bailey's?
Lobster Twins
AG
Quote:

Another Jet Fuel fan here, but we buy it at HEB. The more recently coffee was roasted, the healthier it is for you. Can't get much fresher than Brenham.
I did notice yesterday that Independence doesn't print any kind of roast date on their packaging. If it's that fresh then I wish they would. From what I've seen in the industry a roast date is a sign of fresher coffee. I try to find it within a month or so. Not easy to find at HEB but there are a couple. Katz (Katz Best Blend) medium roast coffee has been ok for drinking black. I like several of theirs like their single origin. You can find them at some HEBs and Whole Foods. Whole Foods have a decent selection of freshly roasted.

I roast my own beans sometimes as well in a $10 popcorn popper and it's fun and produces some incredible coffee. I have bought green coffee from Amazon and Sweet Maria's online. I have bought green coffee from Amazon and Sweet Maria's online...looking for a local/Texas place to buy if anyone knows of one.

I will give Jet Fuel and a few of the others mentioned a try. I also tried Cuvee and thought it was nothing special.

n_touch
Quote:

I have bought green coffee from Amazon and Sweet Maria's online...looking for a local/Texas place to buy if anyone knows of one.
If you are looking for Green then Maria's and Shrub are the way to go. We have some new stuff coming in, if you want green its not a problem, just send me an email so I know you want green coffee and can adjust it for you.

MAROON
AG
https://javapura.com/
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I believe White Rock Coffee in Dallas sells green as well.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.