Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jambalaya Recipe?

9,049 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by austinag1997
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ocean Of Funk said:

MichaelJ said:

Unless you live in NOLA, good luck finding tasso

my local HEB has this available for pick up tomorrow. Is this legit?

Use it all the time in Jambalaya, Cabbage and beans
Phrasing
AG
I know I can use google - but I prefer asking you peeps - what's differentiates Tasso from other smoked pork sausages?
schmellba99
AG
Phrasing said:

I know I can use google - but I prefer asking you peeps - what's differentiates Tasso from other smoked pork sausages?
Tasso is the front shoulder of a hog, and it is only cured for a short time before being hot smoked until cooked through. Normal cured ham is cured for much longer and cold smoked. Between that and the seasonings, it is just a different overall flavor profile than your run of the mill ham that is used in sausage.
MichaelJ
AG
schmellba99 said:

Phrasing said:

Tasso is the front shoulder of a hog, and it is only cured for a short time before being hot smoked until cooked through. Normal cured ham is cured for much longer and cold smoked. Between that and the seasonings, it is just a different overall flavor profile than your run of the mill ham that is used in sausage.

I thought it was ham? But yes smoked/seasoned
schmellba99
AG
MichaelJ said:

schmellba99 said:

Phrasing said:

Tasso is the front shoulder, but i think any large cut off of a pig is almost universally referred to as "ham".
Rattler12
MichaelJ said:

schmellba99 said:

Phrasing said:

If it is unavailable in your area it's pretty easy to make and there are some good recipes for it on the Googles
MichaelJ
AG
Rattler12 said:

MichaelJ said:

schmellba99 said:

Phrasing said:

If it is unavailable in your area it's pretty easy to make and there are some good recipes for it on the Googles

I might have to look in to that - right now I'm working on Jowl bacon -
austinag1997
AG
Savoie's Tasso is great. Can't remember if that is from Laplace or Oppelosas. Good stuff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.