Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jambalaya Recipe?

8,997 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by austinag1997
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a tried and true go to jambalaya recipe they can share?
austinag1997
AG
Yeah, I'll dig it up. Give me unrtil the morning. Damn good stuff.
beagle2009
AG
Emeril's Cajun jambalaya recipe is my go-to:

https://www.emerils.com/121423/cajun-jambalaya

Only mods I make are searing/blackening the sausage, chicken & shrimp beforehand and set aside to add back to the pot at the end. I also add a jalapeo to the trinity. Seriously one of my favorite recipes!
FIDO*98*
AG
About to get frowned upon by a bunch of Kolache police.....but, cook your rice in some rich Chicken stock separately. I'll usually do about 2c dry rice to 3.7c stock.

I use a Wok for part 2. Sweat out a trinity
+ garlic in some oil then add chicken thighs, sausage, skrinps (or gator, squirrel, rabbit, coons, nutria, snakes, or whatever critters) and cook until done. Season along the way with some Creole Magic seasoning. Add half a can of roasted diced tomatoes (or don't if you want to be a Jambalaya snob) and mix everything together with the cooked rice.
Matsui
AG
Alright!!!! Got it. Thanks for the tips.
HTownAg98
FIDO*98* said:

About to get frowned upon by a bunch of Kolache police.....but, cook your rice in some rich Chicken stock separately. I'll usually do about 2c dry rice to 3.7c stock.

+ garlic in some oil then add chicken thighs, sausage, skrinps (or gator, squirrel, rabbit, coons, nutria, snakes, or whatever critters) and cook until done. Season along the way with some Creole Magic seasoning. Add half a can of roasted diced tomatoes (or don't if you want to be a Jambalaya snob) and mix everything together with the cooked rice.

Cajun fried rice?
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

But he gives me **** for using rotel in pasta gravy...

DiskoTroop
Alright so this is a recipe for like 75+ servings so scale it down as you need to:

10lb Boston Butt
10lb boneless chicken, we like thighs
10lb soft textured smoked sausage like Echrich or HEB's equivolent. Use Andouille if you want but it's hard and doesn't cook down the way we like it to
10lb Toro rice or another medium grain rice
4 quarts (minimum, we use 6) trinity (bell pep, celery, onion, parsley, garlic)
1/2 and 1/2 mixture of stock and water in appropriate amount ma for cooking the rice. It's not 1:2 at this level. More like 1:1.25 ratio?

Season meat and fry off in oil, each meat separate. Remove from pot.
Cook down trinity until soft.
Add rice and stock, mix well, add meat back in and cook until done.

Only ever made it in big ole batches for golf tournaments etc so I've only ever cooked it over big burners.

My wife has scaled this down somehow and after cooking down the trinity she cooks it to completion in the oven. Does great! I'll see if she has her recipe written down anywhere.
austinag1997
AG
Sorry this took longer than I thought. This is really good. Don't open the pot to peak. We use a Le Crueset dutch oven to cook ours in.
austinag1997
AG
One typo. Use chicken thighs instead of breasts.
Matsui
AG
Thank you!
FIDO*98*
AG
HTownAg98 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Cajun fried rice?

Nah, I add the Wok stuff to the rice and not vice versa. But, damn that may work
FIDO*98*
AG
Every once in a blue moon I'll click on one of your direct replys because I'm that bored.

You're really gonna compare adding Rotel to Ragu and calling it authentic pasta sauce to making homemade Jambalaya slightly different

I'm going to have to pull a quote here because I can't say it better myself. You are literally too effing stupid to insult
austinag1997
AG
Meh.... just let it go. I really enjoy your and Htown's posts. Think one of you posted "The Braise" thread way back in the day. Can't tell you how many dutch ovens of Osso Bucco I have made based on that direction!
Ornlu
AG
I've tried about 6 different ways of doing it. I haven't found "my" way yet, but I can tell you which ways NOT to use.

Don't do this [url=https://www.emerils.com/121423/cajun-jambalaya]this,this, [/url]or especially this.

My next try will be Paul Prudhommes' version
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Emerill recipes is great as is the Paul Prudhomme recipe. They key is homemade stock.
austinag1997
AG
Try what I posted. 2nd best pot I have ever had.
HTownAg98
austinag1997 said:

Meh.... just let it go. I really enjoy your and Htown's posts. Think one of you posted "The Braise" thread way back in the day. Can't tell you how many dutch ovens of Osso Bucco I have made based on that direction!

Good to hear! Knowing technique will free you from the shackles of a recipe. I made stuffed squash with leeks, dried mushrooms, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese, and stuffed bell peppers with Italian sausage, rice, and tomato sauce for dinner this week. Nothing was from a recipe. I just added ingredients and tasted along the way. It isn't three-star Michelin cuisine, but it got a thumbs up from the wife. That's what matters.
austinag1997
AG
Yep. It is a technique I had never used. I have since deviated from it. But would have been lost without some basic instruction.
austinag1997
AG
Maybe a dumb question... but are you two professionally trained? I have a buddy in NOLA that went to the CIA, but he is solely focused on Italian foods in NOLA. The foods you cooked this week wouldnt have crossed my mind, at least how you described.

Perhaps I am predispositioned to a lot of cooking techniques from NOLA (where we are from), but some diversity would be great.
FIDO*98*
AG
Which two?
FIDO*98*
AG
Which two?
Bruce Almighty
AG
This one is great and delicious.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/creole-style-red-jambalaya-chicken-sausage-shrimp-recipe.html
Bruce Almighty
AG
This recipe is great and delicious.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/creole-style-red-jambalaya-chicken-sausage-shrimp-recipe.html
Bruce Almighty
AG
This recipe is great and delicious

HTownAg98
I am not. I think Fido has some pro training.
austinag1997
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

That one I really struggle with. I think folks use the term Creole and Cajun interchangably. That is a cajun recipe. There is nothing Creole about it.
austinag1997
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

That recipe is cajun. There is nothing Creole about it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
austinag1997 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

That one I really struggle with. I think folks use the term Creole and Cajun interchangably. That is a cajun recipe. There is nothing Creole about it.
Don't care at all about the terminology. The recipe is good, no matter Creole or Cajun. Most people don't know the difference anyway.
Bruce Almighty
AG
austinag1997 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Don't care about the terminology. The recipe is good, no matter Creole or Cajun. Most people don't know the difference anyway.
RCR06
AG
Everyone has their own idea of what good jambalaya is. What one person loves another hates.
RCR06
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

FIDO*98* said:

But he gives me **** for using rotel in pasta gravy...

I get it man, but you gotta move on. Fido98 has strong opinions about food, mainly that he is right about everything.
austinag1997
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

austinag1997 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Don't care about the terminology. The recipe is good, no matter Creole or Cajun. Most people don't know the difference anyway.
DiskoTroop
Here's my wife's scaled down version with her twists on it:

As mentioned when she adds the rice and liquid she gives it a good mix then bakes in the oven covered until it's done. We find it sticks nicely to an enameled cast iron Dutch oven and sometimes towards the end you have to scrape it up a bit and add another 1/2 cup of stock distributed around the edges of the pot. Just depends on your rice.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

Every once in a blue moon I'll click on one of your direct replys because I'm that bored.

You're really gonna compare adding Rotel to Ragu and calling it authentic pasta sauce to making homemade Jambalaya slightly different

I'm going to have to pull a quote here because I can't say it better myself. You are literally too effing stupid to insult

You didn't make jambalaya. You added cooked meat to cooked rice. You plated a dish.

Using jarred sauce as a base is no different than starting with tomato paste and water. Do you make your own stock every time or do you open a quart of premade stock when you need it? Ugh... lord you're pretentious.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.