Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's in your knife block?

3,510 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JonSnow
OaklandAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Knives are probably my favorite kitchen tool- can anyone else relate? Also I didn't see a current thread on kitchen knives, and was curious what others have hanging out in their knife block. So flex with your Cutco's and share what you have in your block!

From top to bottom:
Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef Wa 240mm Gyuto
Tamahagane 240mm San Slicer
Global 8" Chefs Knife G-2
Global 8" Vegetable Knife G-5
Global 6" Utility Knife GS-3
Global 4" Spear Pearing Knife GS-7
Montana? Brand cheap boning knife (straight)
Dexter Curved Boning Knife
Cheap Cusinart Bread Knife
BSD
AG

Top to bottom:

HHH Custom knives 240mm gyuto feather Damascus with mammoth ivory handle (I sick at photography so better blade pic below)

HHH custom knives San Mai 240mm k-tip gyuto with hitachi blue #2 steel with stainless cladding. Mammoth molar and ebony handle.

Bloodroot Blades 10.5" chefs knife. Mustard patina on reclaimed saw blade. The handle is personal so I won't share that here.

Bloodroot Blades cleaver made from a 1960 Chevy leaf spring with African Blackwood handle.

Here are better pics of the HHH blades:

And then these are my smaller knives:

Top to bottom:

Toyama Kasumi 150mm petty rehandled with mammoth tooth

Bloodroot Blades 4" paring knife with burlap bag handle from a coffee shop in Athens, GA

Shun Premier 6" curved boning knife

Takeji Saji rainbow Damascus 3.5" paring knife (better pic below, although the lighting sucks and doesn't do it justice))

And then the block itself, a magnetic block made from Koa wood we got on a vacation in Hawaii.

I have another one in mind to purchase so the HHH feather Damascus chef's knife is for sale if anyone wants to treat themselves
FIDO*98*
AG
Mix of Mercer, Victorinox, and Dexter. 90% of the work goes to my pair of 10" Chef's Knives. I treat my knives like rented mules so no sense in spending $ on them, but, all are sharp enough for a shave in an emergency.
FIDO*98*
AG
Vernada
AG
Just some Wusthofs (Grand Paris II I think) which are POSs compared to the BSD. But stay plenty sharp.
AGdent07
AG
EOT. I think I'll sit this one out
OaklandAg06
AG
I said flex with your cutco's not your custom made knives... Very nice set! I would like to eventually get some Damascus and carbon steel knives, but my wife will grab a knife, use it, and then leave it in the sink or on the counter, so sticking with stainless for now. I would like to get rid of the globals at some point but they were the first kitchen tools I bought with my own money while at A&M. It's hard to let them go in that light.

Curious though, how much do knives like the HHH typically go for?
DiskoTroop
Mostly Henckels and Kitchenaid's that were made under contract by Henckels, but a few odd balls too. I do have an Argentinian Gaucho knife I use as a small utility with a stag handle. That's pretty nifty but my knife set is pretty lackluster. Good and sharp though, thanks to my warthog.
TxSquarebody
Wow! Been teaching myself to forge. Have a couple of small blades, but not enough skill to tackle kitchen knives yet.
Floor it until you see God
BSD
AG
My wife uses our old Mac knives most of the time so she doesn't have to worry about immediately cleaning them. We still have those because they are great knives and I didn't want to give them away. I'll probably give them to my son when he goes to college someday.

The HHH knives actually have a theme: good and evil. The feather Damascus is the "good" knife and the K tip darker San Mai is the "evil" knife. It was about $3k for the pair.
RK
AG
I live in perpetual jealousy of BSD. And I'm ok with it.
FancyKetchup14
AG
These knives are seriously legit. Wow. That was over quickly.

But I sincerely hope I wasn't the only one who read the bolded parts and immediately thought of Dave Chappelle's "Cribs" skit...

Quote:

HHH Custom knives 240mm gyuto feather Damascus with mammoth ivory handle

HHH custom knives San Mai 240mm k-tip gyuto with hitachi blue #2 steel with stainless cladding. Mammoth molar and ebony handle.

Bloodroot Blades cleaver made from a 1960 Chevy leaf spring with African Blackwood handle.

"I don't really f*** with Africa because people are starving and that's not very baller to me."

JCA1
AG
RK said:

I live in perpetual jealousy of BSD. And I'm ok with it.

There is going to be a "last dance" style documentary one day about BSD's domination of the food and spirits board.
wessimo
AG
At the risk of being called out as a humblebragger, here's my setup:

JA Henckels block, oak (I think) with custom carve outs for all the sweet blades.

Top to bottom:

Big knife - intimidating shiny steel blade with ebony colored resin grip

Bread knife - shiny steel with custom serrations and ebony colored resin grip

Filet knife - shiny steel curved blade with ebony colored resin grip

Medium knife - shiny steel medium sized blade with ebony colored resin grip

Paring knife - shiny steel stubby blade with ebony colored resin grip

I have six of these bad boys (one not pictured, in the dishwasher). Each is shiny steel with serrations near the tip. Ebony colored resin handles.

And the piece de resistance, a rough steel rod with ebony colored plastic handle that can be used to sharpen the other blades if that is ever needed (since getting these for our wedding 15 years ago they still seem as sharp as new though).
RK
GarlandAg2012
AG
BSD said:

I have another one in mind to purchase so the HHH feather Damascus chef's knife is for sale if anyone wants to treat themselves
What do you want for the feather damascus?
BSD
AG
Obviously I don't want to lose money on it, but can sell for a little less than what I paid. My email is in profile if you want to talk.

Next up is a special project from T Kamimura knives. I'm not quite sure what it will be yet, though, but it will be Damascus.
AGdent07
AG
BSD said:

Obviously I don't want to lose money on it, but can sell for a little less than what I paid. My email is in profile if you want to talk.

Next up is a special project from T Kamimura knives. I'm not quite sure what it will be yet, though, but it will be Damascus.
I noticed almost all of your blades are damascus. They are beautiful and I'm sure part of the reason why. Are there any other reasons why you prefer it?

My knife maker made me some custom knives and told me that the edge of a damascus blade will tend to fold over time with use and that a few simple runs across a sharpener regularly will help maintain the edge. Just wanted to know your take on maintenance. I typically hand wash and dry after use before placing back in the block. Thanks
austinag1997
AG
Two Mr. Itou knives with damascus blades, one Santuko, one Guyoto. Both with ironwood handles.
Tumble Weed
Replaced my Henkels with Shun last December. Sent the Henkels to a new kitchen with my oldest daughter.

I don't make up my mind about a knife until I have owned it a while, so the jury is still out on Shun. Their boning knife is the sharpest blade that I have handled for a while. I cut myself with it, which only occurs every decade or so.

A set of Shun that had handles of Giraffe bone would be interesting....
I am going to inquire about the custom knife maker from the BSD post.

He has awful taste in wines, but great taste in knives.
BSD
AG
Tumble Weed said:

How dare you come into this thread and bark at me like some little junkyard dog?

FWIW, I've gotten some nasty cuts with the Shun boning knife.
BSD
AG
For care, I wash and thoroughly dry the knives before putting them away. Thoroughly!

Also, only two are Damascus, one is San Mai. The rest just have some patina.
dummble
AG

I was worried i had more since only the ones i deem presentable are on my wooded magnet strip. also not pictured are my loaner knives for people who I have witnessed cutting on plates or putting knives in the dishwasher
NATE AG03
AG

So here's what I've got. May need to upgrade after seeing the sets from a few of you jerks:

3 Henckels (workhorses that we've had since we got married)
1 Shun angled paring (I have no idea why I got the angled version looking back on it)
1 Mac 8" Professional Series with Dimples
1 Wusthof Classic 8"
1 Kiwi 7.5" (You've got to love a knife that costs just about as much to have sharpened as it does to buy new at $6.95. Love this damn knife though in all of its stamped glory.)
1 Victorinox Bread Knife
NATE AG03
AG
Curious about that 2nd one down on the right. What is that? I like that shape.
dummble
AG
Custom 7" Kiritsuke with 15n20 High Carbon Steel, dark blue canvas with a maroon liner contoured handle

The high carbon steel patinas with acidic ingredients, onions and such

I found a guy on etsy who made it to my requests
Tumble Weed
BSD said:

Tumble Weed said:

How dare you come into this thread and bark at me like some little junkyard dog?

FWIW, I've gotten some nasty cuts with the Shun boning knife.
Please explain the wizardry of the knife block. Did you have it custom made? I can tell that I need to find a big ass magnet and stick it in a chunk of mesquite from our place in West Texas.
BSD
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Please explain the wizardry of the knife block. Did you have it custom made? I can tell that I need to find a big ass magnet and stick it in a chunk of mesquite from our place in West Texas.

Yep, custom made by a guy in Hawaii. You can't tell but that thing is essentially split in two with a magnet in the middle. We went to his house/shop to check it out. He has to dry the hell out of it to kill any bugs and get the moisture out first. Then he works on the magnet addition. Sounds simple enough.
RCR06
AG
J.A. Henkels; 2 chefs knives, boning knife, bread knife, paring knife, 8 steak knives. Was at Bed Bath and Beyond browsing the sale stuff and they had a J.A. Henkels set with the block marked down from $200 and something down to $70. It said open box, but everything was in new condition. Also had a 20% off coupon so it ended up being like $60 with tax.
wessimo
AG
<fistbump>
Ogre09
AG
Rada everything:

Chef's knife
Old fashioned butcher
Bread knife
Filet knife
Utility knife
Paring knife

They're cheap, sharp, and hold up well to daily use
JonSnow
BSD said:

Top to bottom:

HHH Custom knives 240mm gyuto feather Damascus with mammoth ivory handle (I sick at photography so better blade pic below)

Bloodroot Blades 10.5" chefs knife. Mustard patina on reclaimed saw blade. The handle is personal so I won't share that here.

Here are better pics of the HHH blades:

And then these are my smaller knives:

Top to bottom:

Bloodroot Blades 4" paring knife with burlap bag handle from a coffee shop in Athens, GA

Shun Premier 6" curved boning knife

Takeji Saji rainbow Damascus 3.5" paring knife (better pic below, although the lighting sucks and doesn't do it justice))

And then the block itself, a magnetic block made from Koa wood we got on a vacation in Hawaii.

Wow. Was about to post until I saw this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.