Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Bottled BBQ Sauce?

11,176 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MikezTX
Boat Shoes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been eating a lot of leftover brisket, pork, and sausage at the house during quarantine. Running low on sauce for sandwiches, etc. What is everyone's opinion on the best sauce available to ship? Either commercial or from your favorite BBQ spot? And yes, fresh, high quality BBQ can be served without sauce and probably should be. I'm talking about for reheated que.

Thanks!
FancyKetchup14
AG
I love the HEB bottled sauces. I use the Texas style for reheated barbecue but the Carolina gold is awesome for pulled pork
WillieAg08
AG
Head Country
Garrelli 5000
AG
Bentley's Batch 5 Hot BBQ sauce

First got this from central market when the owner had a table setup w/samples. You can buy at various stores (listed on the site).

I grabbed my current bottle at an Elliots Hardware.

As BBQ sauce goes it is fantastic. Some heat, not too sweet, plenty of tang.
Bulldog73
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

I love the HEB bottled sauces. I use the Texas style for reheated barbecue but the Carolina gold is awesome for pulled pork

I'm a fan too, but this is definitely one those "username fits" posts for sure.
Fall92
AG
Some of that Mark's BBQ sauce at HEB is pretty damn good for being store bought.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
aTm_bomb
AG
I like Terry Blacks Original from HEB. Fox Bros BBQ sauce you have to order online but I really like it.
Farmer1906
AG
I mix Franklin's Texas and Vinegar 50-50.
Mathguy64
AG
Marks at HEB. Plain red label. Their chicken and rib rub mix is a decent store bought rub too. I use it as a light base.
Slicer97
AG
Head Country is pretty damn good.

Franklin's Texas sauce is probably my favorite. His espresso sauce is pretty damn good too.

Never tried Mark's, but I like the salsas. Will have to give that one a shot next time.
07fta07
AG
Marks Cracked Pepper is my go to, especially for beef, but the Marks Chicken and Ribs is pretty good too. The HEB sauces are also good.
Vernada
AG
WillieAg08 said:

Head Country

Absolutely
NColoradoAG
WillieAg08 said:

Head Country

Best store sauce i can find in Colorado.
DiskoTroop
Head Country
88Warrior
Head Country as well...
Tanya 93
texagpilot
AG
Rudy's
Sooner Born
Head Country as well. I like to make my own riffs on sauce that begin with Head Country as the base.
Martin Cash
AG
If the meat is so bad that it needs sauce, just put ketchup on it.
Sorrell Booke
I like Montgomery Inn.

I normally make my own, but when I'm out and in a pinch, Montgomery Inn is where its at.

Also I like the Cattleman's Carolina Gold. For reheated chopped brisket, it is good.
Boat Shoes
AG
Martin Cash said:

Thanks but I'm out of ketchup, I wasted it all on my steaks.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Martin Cash said:

I agree with beef, but pork goes great with sauce.
Martin Cash
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Martin Cash said:

Thanks but I'm out of ketchup, I wasted it all on my steaks.
HtownAg92
AG
Just make a real simple one with ingredients you probably have. Here's one from City Market in Luling. I amp up the vinegar, pepper and use a spicy brown mustard (just preferences I've learned through making this a bunch of times).

• 8-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • cup yellow mustard
  • 3 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

MIx, don't cook, put in squirt bottles.
concac
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Just make a real simple one with ingredients you probably have. Here's one from City Market in Luling. I amp up the vinegar, pepper and use a spicy brown mustard (just preferences I've learned through making this a bunch of times).

• cup yellow mustard

You couldn't help yourself, huh?
FancyKetchup14
AG
RealTalk said:

HtownAg92 said:

• cup yellow mustard

Never fails. God bless the food and spirits board.
HtownAg92
AG
Had to do my part.

But just wondering, how does anyone on this board have a recommendation at all? I thought everyone made perfect 'que in their backyards (when they are not making steaks, fajitas, or burgers that beat anything a restaurant could put out) which would never deign to be touched by sauce of any kind, or if some heathen wanted some, it would be completely homemade.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Sometimes I'm in a pinch and just don't want to make one.

I don't prefer sauce on beef unless its reheated leftovers. However, I always prefer sauce on smoked pork regardless if that's ribs, pulled pork, smoked chops, etc. And I want that sauce to be mustard-based. And the fine people at HEB make a better mustard-based sauce than I can.
Boat Shoes
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

RealTalk said:

HtownAg92 said:

• cup yellow mustard

Never fails. God bless the food and spirits board.

Why the hard time? This sounds pretty great to me and I love the sausage and sauce at the original Luling City Market. Will mix some of this up today!
Mathguy64
AG
I use a sauce for chopped sammies, for sausage, pulled pork, for a base for a glaze on ribs or pork belly burnt ends.

I spent two years many moons ago running a pit for a commercial BBQ joint and have a great sauce recipe I lifted from them. It made 36 gallons at a time so I just cut it down to a quart and tweaked it a bit I don't even know where the recipe is anymore. I just know what goes in and roughly how much goes in. and make it to taste. It's great but it takes a couple of hours.

There are a million varieties in HEB. You try them and find one you like and keep a bottle handy. It's not a crime to use sauce or use one from a bottle.
Ag_07
AG
Mark's Cracked Pepper is my go to

I used to make my own but realized it was just too much effort for the payoff. It's only used sparingly and the difference between this stuff and my homemade stuff isn't enough to offset the extra effort it was taking.
Fall92
AG
I mentioned this on the rib thread but when it's raining or I'm lazy I'll throw some pork ribs in the crock pot w seasoning and Mark's Red and they turn out great all things considered.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
GSS

$1/bottle at HEB--Ingredients Distilled Vinegar, Water, Prepared Mustard (Distilled Vinegar, Water, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Tomato Paste, Corn Syrup, Food Starch Modified, Salt, Spices, Caramel Color, Liquid Smoke, Vegetable Gum,
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Speckled Trout
AG
Lillies Carolina BBQ Sauce

Not to be confused with Lillies Eastern Carolina BBQ Sauce which is terrible.
schmellba99
AG
For a store bought sauce, still a fan of Stubbs' products personally. Have never tried Head Country, may grab one of those.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.