Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fajita marinade

10,713 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Old RV Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RGV AG said:

And for the record:
I much prefer Chili with beans (a meal without rice and beans is appetizer in my book)
Okra is a must in gumbo for me.
And in my final participation in heresy I will only eat a CFS if it has brown gravy, no cream stuff for me please, unless it is thin and little runny and served with white rice and fried chicken, and then it is game on.

I prefer my chicken fried steak with a good green chili sauce.
RGV AG
AG
Are you serious about that? Wasn't there a recipe on a thread here for something like that? Or maybe I saw it on a cooking show or something, but I do remember some one or seeing something on CFS with a chili gravy on it. It looked really good.
Slicer97
AG
Old RV Ag said:

RGV AG said:

And for the record:
I much prefer Chili with beans (a meal without rice and beans is appetizer in my book)
And in my final participation in heresy I will only eat a CFS if it has brown gravy, no cream stuff for me please, unless it is thin and little runny and served with white rice and fried chicken, and then it is game on.

I'm not a big fan of Chuy's, but the Boom Boom sauce is pretty damn good, especially on the Elvis Chicken. It's one of the few ways to make chicken good.
RGV AG
AG
Mexican's are not immune from taking and morphing a popular dish either. My dumbass had no idea that such a thing as Steak Milanese existed. Growing up in Mexico and then Mexico north in the Valley, I have probably eaten hundreds of "Milanesas", I thought this was a true Mexican deal. And there really is no "Milanesa de Pollo" either.

Several years ago an Egyptian friend of mine had us over to dinner and served "Steak Milanese" which was done about the same way as the Mexican Milanesa, but instead of beans, french fries, salad, and tortillas, it was topped with fresh arugula, sliced cherry tomatoes, and fresh lemon was squeezed on it. Holy smokes it was good.

The true Steak Milanese should not be eaten with ketchup and salsa, in a tortilla like I do. But damm I still like it.
RGV AG
AG
Slicer97 said:

Old RV Ag said:

RGV AG said:

And for the record:

I'm not a big fan of Chuy's, but the Boom Boom sauce is pretty damn good, especially on the Elvis Chicken. It's one of the few ways to make chicken good.
I had some enchiladas at Chuy's one time that were really good.

Funny story, I hadn't eaten at a Chuy's since the mid-80's in Austin, at probably the original.

My daughter plays on travel team out of the valley and a few years ago we started playing in the Humble area about once a month. So here this group of valley people pack up the car, head to Houston and where do they all chose to eat? Chuy's. I was like, Really? But some stuff was pretty good actually.
Old RV Ag
AG
RGV AG said:

Are you serious about that? Wasn't there a recipe on a thread here for something like that? Or maybe I saw it on a cooking show or something, but I do remember some one or seeing something on CFS with a chili gravy on it. It looked really good.
Yep, serious about it. Know many places (no chain restaurants) that do it. It's also very popular in New Mexico. I still have a hard time with the phrase "chili gravy" - it sounds so strange as I grew up with it as chile sauce. Try it, you'll like it!

Edit - there's a place near Amarillo called Green Chile Willy's which that is their signature dish.
Old RV Ag
AG
Slicer97 said:

Old RV Ag said:

RGV AG said:

And for the record:

Never been to Chuy's.
Old RV Ag
AG
RGV AG said:

Mexican's are not immune from taking and morphing a popular dish either. My dumbass had no idea that such a thing as Steak Milanese existed. Growing up in Mexico and then Mexico north in the Valley, I have probably eaten hundreds of "Milanesas", I thought this was a true Mexican deal. And there really is no "Milanesa de Pollo" either.

Several years ago an Egyptian friend of mine had us over to dinner and served "Steak Milanese" which was done about the same way as the Mexican Milanesa, but instead of beans, french fries, salad, and tortillas, it was topped with fresh arugula, sliced cherry tomatoes, and fresh lemon was squeezed on it. Holy smokes it was good.

The true Steak Milanese should not be eaten with ketchup and salsa, in a tortilla like I do. But damm I still like it.
Then, those pesky Germans and Austrians have something called schnitzel!
BusterAg
AG
Well, I was going to make chicken fajitas today, but as I was getting ready to hit HEB for some more tortillas and then drop by Academy to buy another couple of ammo clips for my pistol, I heard Herbstreit call the Line Judge a Referee during a replay of the Auburn game, and that totally burned me up. I decided to just cook some BBQ chicken on the gas grill and have a Jack Daniels bourbon and coke instead.
Old RV Ag
AG
BusterAg said:

Well, I was going to make chicken fajitas today, but as I was getting ready to hit HEB for some more tortillas and then drop by Academy to buy another couple of ammo clips for my pistol, I heard Herbstreit call the Line Judge a Referee during a replay of the Auburn game, and that totally burned me up. I decided to just cook some BBQ chicken on the gas grill and have a Jack Daniels bourbon and coke instead.
Well played! The ammo clip was good but calling Jack bourbon is a really good one. You forgot that you picked up some California champagne for your wife.
OasisMan
AG
this thread makes me hungry
B-1 83
AG
Meanwhile, back on topic.....

I use Allego marinade, Worcestershire, pineapple juice and fresh lime juice. A couple of fresh garlic cloves or a good dash of powder is a good addition.

Chuy's does have good tortilla soup.
Tumble Weed
Beef fajitas = shrimp scampi = gin martini.

I clicked on this thread to see how people cook fajitas, and ended up reading a novel about Mexican belts that Melville would be proud of.

Hot or low fire? Cook times on an offset smoker? I was planning on slow smoking a set tomorrow.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Beef fajitas = shrimp scampi = gin martini.

I clicked on this thread to see how people cook fajitas, and ended up reading a novel about Mexican belts that Melville would be proud of.

Hot or low fire? Cook times on an offset smoker? I was planning on slow smoking a set tomorrow.
Welcome to every fajita thread on this board.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.