Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fajita marinade

10,669 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fajitas are probably my favorite meal by a long shot. I've tinkered with techniques and marinades for several years but think I finally have it down to perfection and am happy to share. This works for both beef and chicken though the taste really takes to beef the best. You get it in the chicken too and it keeps it so moist, but again, you taste it most in the beef.

First, the cuts. For beef, I always will go skirt and in my opinion, there is no other cut that comes close from a taste standpoint. Before putting the skirt in the marinade, i do go once over the fattier side with my tenderizing tool. For chicken, I go breasts and double butterfly cut them for the right size.

Second, the marinade. Skirt steak left alone can be great, but I've tinkered with this recipe for years and it's finally exactly how I want want it. Throw all of this in a food pro or blender, and adjust your amount depending on how much meat you have. I'm typically 2 - 2.5 lbs skirt steak and 1.5 pound chicken breast

2 cups soy sauce
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1 cup pineapple mango juice
3/4 cup lime juice
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup yellow onion diced
1/4 cup diced cilantro
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper flake
2 tablespoons lowrys seasoned salt

Marinade a least 3 hours

Grill over a hot hot hot fire. About 2 minutes per side for steak until medium rare with a good char and 4 minutes for chicken depending on thickness.

Cut veggies into strips. I use red onion, yellow onion, and two kinds of bell peppers depending on what looks best. Toss with olive oil, a splash of lime juice, salt and pepper. Throw in a grill basket and get a little bit of char on them.

I also like to throw some mushrooms and a 1/4 stick of butter into tinfoil and sautee them on the grill too
Sides are typical, pico, cheese, sour cream and guac

I get fresh flour tortillas from central market.

I've try to sous vide the meat as well, but don't notice a measurable difference.

My tastes may not match yours, but for me and my extended family, we will take this over any restaurant every day of the week.
chipotle
chicken fajitas?.....CHICKEN FAJITAS!??!??!!!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Three pages at least.
OasisMan
AG
Fiesta fajita seasoning
CEPhD
AG
FIDO*98*
AG
chipotle said:

chicken fajitas?.....CHICKEN FAJITAS!??!??!!!

And breast no less. If you chicken is so big you can double butterfly it, it's gonna taste like rubber. The biggest reason I buy organic is that you can still get a breast that's around 6-7 oz

If it's getting sliced and going in a Tortilla, chicken thigh is the only way to go
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Fat side up or down?
cecil77
AG
"fajita" is a cut of beef, specifically skirt

"chicken fajitas" makes as much sense as "chicken t-bone"

Using it as a style of preparation is an abomination to any true Texan.

My 45 year perfected fajita marinade:

1 part Shiner bock
1 part Kraft BBQ sauce (the original)
copious Worstershire
copious ground black pepper.
CrawfordAg
AG
I like the loin flap from Costco over skirt steak.
Legacy Work Spaces
If Chicken....

We've been really happy with mixing up boneless thigh and thin strips of breast. Saturating it in the Old El Paso Chicken Taco seasoning (I know this mostly a home made seasoning discussion but honestly the OEP packet one is better than anything we've ever put together). Marinate for 8-12 hours and thats enough time.

Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
chipotle
CrawfordAg said:

Is loin flap essentially just butterfly sirloin?
HTownAg98
No, though it is part of the sirloin. Technically it is a thin muscle in the bottom sirloin.
Tailgate88
AG
I love fajitas too and I used to spend hours trimming skirt steak and marinating etc. etc. etc. Then I saw this thread:

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3040682

Fajitas Marinades and Pollo Marinades, done.

Slicer97
AG
I usually don't marinade. Season with Bolner's the night before and squeeze a lime over the meat about 20 minutes before it hits the grill and don't cook it past medium rare.
Austintm
CrawfordAg said:

This.
Outside skirt steak is the best, but almost impossible to find
turfman80
AG
salt, pepper, garlic powder , lime juice and soy sauce
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Txmoe
AG
Tailgate88 said:

I love fajitas too and I used to spend hours trimming skirt steak and marinating etc. etc. etc. Then I saw this thread:

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3040682

Fajitas Marinades and Pollo Marinades, done.

Guy who started that thread is a culinary GENIUS.
RGV AG
AG
cecil77 said:

"fajita" is a cut of beef, specifically skirt

"chicken fajitas" makes as much sense as "chicken t-bone"

Using it as a style of preparation is an abomination to any true Texan.

My 45 year perfected fajita marinade:

1 part Shiner bock
1 part Kraft BBQ sauce (the original)
copious Worstershire
copious ground black pepper.

Amen!.

What about the South Texas staple of beer, Italian dressing, Worstershire or Maggie and lime? And fiesta fajita seasoning?

The key to good fajitas is to get the membrane and silver skin off. Also excess fat.
FIDO*98*
AG
Lately I've been making Molcajete instead of straight Fajita. Here's the marinade I've been using for the beef.

3/4 C Claude's
1 Shiner
1/4 c avocado oil
1/2 medium onion rough chopped
6 cloves garlic
Juice of 2 limes
1 Tbls Achiote paste

Everything goes in the Vitamix on high

I usually marinate for 4-6 hours and use the Loin Flap from Costco as discussed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Fido using bottled fajita marinade as part of his fajita marinade may be the most ironic thing ever on the food board.
Joe Exotic
AG
He's right though. Claude's is nails and hard to beat.
cevans_40
AG
Sorry but soy sauce and Worcestershire is a no go.

And you left out cumino and paprika.
RGV AG
AG
I don't really keep track of exactly the precise one that I use. But I use "naranja agria" (sour orange) as my base along with Italian dressing (or olive oil if I don't have it) combined with Maggie, a little achiote paste or powder, and chopped/mined garlic. If I have beer, some beer. I also find that Fiesta Fajita seasoning is very, very good and use it last before grilling or searing.

I spend a lot more time prepping/dressing fajitas or arracheras than I do worrying about the marinade. Long time experience has taught me that the quality of the meat is much more important than the marinade.

A long time ex-gf of mine had a dad that was part owner of the large Mercedes meat company, now defunct, and we lived together for a long time. One of the few positives about that deal was that about once every 6 weeks a large truck would show up and we would get cases of ribeyes, burgers, and fajitas. But the fajitas were "special" in that they were for family and friends only and had been selected and trimmed well. We could grill those with salt and pepper and they were off the hook good. It was in the dressing of those and the quality of the meat that made the difference.

A fajita is not a sliced meat taco, contrary to popular belief, as mentioned it is a cut of meat, basically the skirt steak, and in northern Mexico the "hanging tender" that is eaten in a tortilla for the most part.
Broncos
Meat
Seasoning
Beer
Lime
Stuff
cecil77
AG
Quote:

A fajita is not a sliced meat taco, contrary to popular belief, as mentioned it is a cut of meat, basically the skirt steak, and in northern Mexico the "hanging tender" that is eaten in a tortilla for the most part.
Melissa Guerra does a good job of explaining fajita history in her cookbook. I think some don't understand how relatively recent the popularization of fajitas is. As recently as 1977 if you asked a butcher in Dallas for skirt their response was "we grind that into dog food". It's been discussed at length on texags, but the Roundup Restaurant in Pharr (RIP) is as good a place to start for restaurant fajitas as any. (No, it wasn't Ninfa's).

Skirt was junk meat that the ranch hands could salvage and eat for themselves. They would laugh at the lengths many go to now in preparation, and would be aghast if "fajita" was used for anything except what we gringos call "skirt".

And, for me, Worcestershire is a must.In fact Worstershire and black pepper alone works great, IF (as rgvag stressed) the meat is prepped properly.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I wonder if the people that get butt hurt of the term chicken fajitas have no problem saying shrimp scampi, which literally translates to shrimp shrimp.
Joe Exotic
AG
That's actually always bothered me too.
The people that get bent out of shape over the term "chicken fajitas" may know a lot about food but know next to nothing about linguistics.
cecil77
AG
4133 said:

The people that get bent out of shape over the term "chicken fajitas" may know a lot about food but know next to nothing about linguistics.

Actually, "chicken fajitas" is sloppy linguistics. What does it even mean? Is it "chicken prepared in the style of fajitas" or is is "fajitas cooked like it was chicken"? Or maybe even it's a cut of chicken skirt, although if that even is anatomically possible, I've go to think it would be pretty small!
Bruce Almighty
AG
cecil77 said:

4133 said:

Actually, "chicken fajitas" is sloppy linguistics. What does it even mean? Is it "chicken prepared in the style of fajitas" or is is "fajitas cooked like it was chicken"? Or maybe even it's a cut of chicken skirt, although if that even is anatomically possible, I've go to think it would be pretty small!
Fajitas, like thousands of other words in the English language have evolved to have multiple meanings. Also, a lot of our words we use in America have developed from sloppy linguistics. The term egg rolls started because the Chinese word sound vaguely like egg and lazy Americans started calling it egg rolls because it was easier to pronounce. Another is lasagne, which in the strictest definition of the word, means the shape of a pasta. The casserole dish lasagne al forno is I'm guessing, a term you don't use. It may be a somewhat apples to oranges comparison, but fajitas, egg rolls and lasagne are all examples of words that evolved in meaning and/or developed from sloppy linguistics. Lasagna evolved from the shape of pasta to a generic term for the casserole that uses that pasta. Fajitas evolved from a cut of beef to a generic term for a preparation of meat. Hell, its even in the dictionary. 50 years from now, nobody is going to care about the original meaning of the word fajita.

TL/DR version: It's an American thing to **** up the original meaning of a word, so who gives a *****
cecil77
AG
Well harumph....

Those of us around for the beginning of fajitas have railed against the morphing of the word to something it's not from the very beginning. It's an educational effort. It's like the rampant misuse of "varietal" in much of the wine world. A mistake that is widely accepted is still a mistake.

And, of course, in South Texas where it all started there are still many, many people who adhere to the original meaning.
FIDO*98*
AG
Mulling this over while sipping coffee and eating a Sausage Kolache
RGV AG
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Mulling this over while sipping coffee and eating a Sausage Kolache

No seas malo!
RGV AG
AG
cecil77 said:

Well harumph....

Those of us around for the beginning of fajitas have railed against the morphing of the word to something it's not from the very beginning. It's an educational effort. It's like the rampant misuse of "varietal" in much of the wine world. A mistake that is widely accepted is still a mistake.

And, of course, in South Texas where it all started there are still many, many people who adhere to the original meaning.

I very much agree with Don Cecilio on this, basically from a distant sense of recognition for something unique. As both the Fajita cut of meat and the now common Fajita taco or self serve make your own taco deal are uniquely a product of Southeast Texas and in particular the RGV and the area around Corpus, Alice, Beeville and maybe Laredo.

We moved to the Valley in like 83' from Mexico and we had no idea what a Fajita was. As oft stated on here the Mex's don't really use that cut, when the grill it is usually Arracheras, Agujas, and Costillas.

You mention the roundup, their fajitas were not grilled, they were pan seared or done via the Mexican "A la plancha" technique, which really for fajitas I think is much better than grilling.

As with quite a few of the South Texae and Northern Mexico popular dishes, it all starts with cheap inputs and it takes labor and attention to detail to make those good. Just like Barbacoa or Menudo, labor intensive dishes that are very good when done right.

I can't believe how popular Barbacoa has become in the mainstream. Growing up we would get it after Saturday football practice and we would have to tell the gringo's on the team that it was stewed fajita trimmings to get them to eat it. That lasted until an eyeball showed up in a package from McAllen Grocery on south 23rd, lol.
mike073
AG
The first version of Fiesta Fajita Seasoning was introduced in 1980.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.