Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tips on how to not smoke out the house when searing steaks?

19,535 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FIDO*98*
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've tried 4 times now to sear a steak on cast iron and every time I fill the house with smoke. It pisses off the wife, triggers the smoke alarms, wakes up the kids (my oldest one already suffers from asthma), and we have to open every door and window when it's 100+ degrees outside. I've tried a lighter amount of seasoning, different oils with higher smoke points.. nothing works. But at least the steak has turned out pretty good.

So any tips on how now to fill the house with smoke when I'm searing a steak?
BSD
AG
Sear outside.
My Dad Earl
AG
BSD said:

Sear outside.
I guess. But I only have a charcoal grill and I want the convenience of simply turning the knob on the stovetop.
FIDO*98*
AG
It's simply not possible without a high quality vent hood. If you have a microwave over a range or a have a downward sucking vent next to your burners it's just not going to happen for you without a kitchen remodel.

Best suggestion is to get a portable induction burner for outside if you just want to turn a knob. Less expensive options would be use a turkey fryer burner or use the cast iron on your grill.

The most versatile recommendation would be to add a Blackstone Griddle to your outdoor setup
Kanyes psychiatrist
Reverse sear on the grill outside. Exact same as cast iron if you know what you're doing.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

It's simply not possible without a high quality vent hood.

Effin' amateur. Or really, effin' pros saying you have to be a pro and have pro equipment to do it. Wish there was an eye roll emoji.

All you need is to use a higher quality oil with a higher smoke point AND manage your heat source. Grape seed, safflower oil, avocado oil or my personal favorite, ghee. You don't need to have your pan as hot as it gets. Get it hot enough to start seeing wisps of smoke from the oil, then add your (patted dry) steak. If after a few min the oil recovers from the thermal shock and starts to smoke again, just back the heat off a touch and keep searing.

It works just fine. I do it all the time in an apartment without smoke. A normal 200cfm microwave vent hood is plenty to manage whatever wisps of smoke you create.
Vade281
AG
I sear using a charcoal chimney. It's fast and super hot.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
RK
AG
keep your over-exerting petulance on the other thread.
DiskoTroop
Nevermind
SpiderDude
AG
My Dad Earl said:

BSD said:

Sear outside.
I guess. But I only have a charcoal grill and I want the convenience of simply turning the knob on the stovetop.

You could buy an induction cook top and plug in outside.
HTownAg98
If you're cooking your steak for longer than a few minutes to sear it, you're going to end up with a thicker band of grey meat around the edges.

One of the best methods I've found is the reverse sear on the grill. The key is the coals need to be ripping hot and close to the grill grate, and you need to flip the meat constantly. Start to finish the process should be no longer than two minutes.

My other favorite is my turkey fryer burner and a carbon steel pan. Cast iron works ok, but the problem is that it holds heat too well; it doesn't move that heat into the meat quickly, and there are better materials that will do it. With highly conductive carbon steel and six-figure BTUs under it, you can get a great sear quickly.
I should add that neither of these methods are safe for indoor use.
Duncan Idaho
Pear burner from harbor freight
FIDO*98*
AG
Interesting take on Carbon Steel vs Cast Iron. The Blackstone top is carbon steel and it gives a really good sear despite not getting as hot as my indoor range. I'll give my Carbon Steel pan a shot inside on the big burner and see how it works out.
GarlandAg2012
AG
My current method involves lighting my kamado-style grill, but I think I'm going to switch to just lighting a charcoal chimney and putting a grate on top of it.
Old RV Ag
AG
HTownAg98 said:

If you're cooking your steak for longer than a few minutes to sear it, you're going to end up with a thicker band of grey meat around the edges.

One of the best methods I've found is the reverse sear on the grill. The key is the coals need to be ripping hot and close to the grill grate, and you need to flip the meat constantly. Start to finish the process should be no longer than two minutes.

My other favorite is my turkey fryer burner and a carbon steel pan. Cast iron works ok, but the problem is that it holds heat too well; it doesn't move that heat into the meat quickly, and there are better materials that will do it. With highly conductive carbon steel and six-figure BTUs under it, you can get a great sear quickly.
Carbon steel is only a little more conductive than stainless steel and about the same as cast iron. Cast iron holds heat more as they are usually thicker. Carbon steel is not highly conductive. If you want a "highly" conductive pan, you've got to move to aluminum or copper.
HTownAg98
Interesting. I do know that my carbon steel wok and stainless steel saute pan give me a better sear than my cast iron.
Old RV Ag
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Interesting. I do know that my carbon steel wok and stainless steel saute pan give me a better sear than my cast iron.
Likely due to being thinner so there is a faster response to the flame/heat source.
FIDO*98*
AG
Lots of great ways to cook a steak. Reverse sear, Sous Vide and Sear, Sear and finish in the oven. I've done them all and they all have their merits.

The closest proximity for an affordable 'turn the knob' solution sounds like you should get a portable Induction Burner and a Carbon Steel pan then use it outside.

investorAg83
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

My current method involves lighting my kamado-style grill, but I think I'm going to switch to just lighting a charcoal chimney and putting a grate on top of it.

My fave method.
DiskoTroop
HTownAg98 said:

All fair points but I took the OP to be asking how to do it on the cook top in his kitchen. He said he has a less than optimal Grill for quick and easy access to searing and I don't want to suggest he go buy equipment he may not need. I suggested a new method with equipment he has. It's successful for me.

I sear for 6-8 min on either side with a good 1.5"-1.75" steak. Yes there's more "grey band" as you put it then a reverse sear or a sous vide but it does produce damn good steak.

I'll see if I can find an example of one of mine recently.
DiskoTroop
That's a cast iron seared in ghee. I apparently cropped it so not much image of the sear but that's not a bad consistency for doneness.

62strat
AG
My Dad Earl said:

BSD said:

Sear outside.
get a gas grill.

I sear on cast iron using my webber natural gas grill.
62strat
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

HTownAg98 said:

I sear for 6-8 min on either side with a good 1.5"-1.75" steak.

Wouldn't searing for 6-8 min per side result in a hockey puck?

I sear for about 30 seconds per side on a 600 degree cast iron skillet on the grill. Either finish in oven for ~25 minutes or finish on a 300* grill for 6-8 minutes per side. (I use a thermoprobe for both methods, not timing)

RK
AG
6-8 minutes per side sounds like cooking, not searing.
Joe Exotic
AG
Definitely not a sear. A good sear should take around 30 to 60 seconds.
Unemployed
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Effin' amateur. Or really, effin' pros saying you have to be a pro and have pro equipment to do it. Wish there was an eye roll emoji.

All you need is to use a higher quality oil with a higher smoke point AND manage your heat source. Grape seed, safflower oil, avocado oil or my personal favorite, ghee. You don't need to have your pan as hot as it gets. Get it hot enough to start seeing wisps of smoke from the oil, then add your (patted dry) steak. If after a few min the oil recovers from the thermal shock and starts to smoke again, just back the heat off a touch and keep searing.

It works just fine. I do it all the time in an apartment without smoke. A normal 200cfm microwave vent hood is plenty to manage whatever wisps of smoke you create.
Did Fido98 block phideaux_2003? It's unlike him to not respond to this.
Old RV Ag
AG
RealTalk said:

phideaux_2003 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Fido has been feverishly searching the Food Network website for some kind of response.
FIDO*98*
AG
RealTalk said:

Yep. Love me or hate me I post sound advice on this board. I don't post garbage recipes or tips that someone else may accidentally follow just to troll another poster. Now that I exposed him as a troll, no reason to ever look at another word he puts up here.

Oh look, RV posted. Big surprise. Ignored him too
DiskoTroop
RK said:

6-8 minutes per side sounds like cooking, not searing.

A fair enough argument RE terminology. I guess I'll rephrase my statement to say that I cook my steaks in a very hot pan, in ghee, for 6-8 min per side. Using a 1.5-1.75" ribeye, it yields the above pictured cross section.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

RealTalk said:

Yep. Love me or hate me I post sound advice on this board.

And what's funny is before he gave me **** about my recipes I'd have agreed with him. All he has to do is acknowledge that different people have different ideas about what makes certain things truly fantastic and leave it at that. But no. He insisted on being insulting and rude about others opinions.

So whatever. He can be pompous if he wants. Enjoy your tomato and pasta salad dipweed.
DiskoTroop
Bo Darville said:

Definitely not a sear. A good sear should take around 30 to 60 seconds.

A sear can be formed many ways. It's just a Maillard reaction. 6-8 min in ghee will get it, but it's come into vogue for "sear" to be defined as blitzing something in as high a heat as possible.
jwoodmd
FIDO*98* said:

Love me or hate me I post sound advice on this board.
Blahahahaha. You post basically anything that can be found on Internet recipes with a rate of "Easy". Opening cans for main ingredients and claiming sound advice? Pleeeaaassssee.
aggielostinETX
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

FIDO*98* said:

This. We sear every steak we do and I did 12 in a row last year on a six burner. Don't overheat it and use a high temp oil.
DiskoTroop
Deats said:

phideaux_2003 said:

FIDO*98* said:

This. We sear every steak we do and I did 12 in a row last year on a six burner. Do overheat it and use a high temp oil.

Gonna presume you meant "don't overheat it" as it appears you agree with my statement...

And from a bonified amatuer.
aggielostinETX
AG
Yes, sorry it. Not moving well this morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.