Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pressure Cooker Pork Chile Verde

17,788 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by 88Warrior
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to take a stab at this. My planned tweaks: chicken stock, corriander, oregano, chili powder, canned green chiles plus the cumin to the pot with veggies and pork. After pressure cook, remove pork and shred, add back to mixture. Add a can of great white northern beans. Simmer on saute to reduce liquid to chili consistency. We shall see.
Dumpster Fire
I make this every year and did it last night for the first of our real cold weather night.

I subbed beef for pork and kept everything else the same and served it with corn tortillas, avocado, and a lime wedge. That lime adds so much umph to it and we just love the dish!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Made the OP Instant Pot recipe for the second time yesterday. So good!
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Spot on !!!!!!!!!!!! If you like a more chili version of this recipe. Topped with lime, avocado, sour cream and cheese. A keeper. New Mexico verde chili.
HTownAg98
Marcus Aurelius said:

Going to take a stab at this. My planned tweaks: chicken stock, corriander, oregano, chili powder, canned green chiles plus the cumin to the pot with veggies and pork. After pressure cook, remove pork and shred, add back to mixture. Add a can of great white northern beans. Simmer on saute to reduce liquid to chili consistency. We shall see.

Sounds like you made something similar to this. https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-black-bean-stew-recipe

I took that recipe and subbed a ham hock for the andouille, and a whole chicken for the leg quarters (skinned, and the white meat added after everything else as cooked), it was outstanding.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Added 2 cans of beans. Amazing
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Think next time I make it I'll add a can of drained and rinsed white hominy at the end and set on warm for a few minutes.
Robert C. Christian
AG
How do you get small amount of pork butt? I usually only see 7-10 lbs available in store (Kroger/Tom Thumb) but the recipes I see call for 2-3 lbs. Do you freeze the extra for later use or go to a butcher for the correct weight?
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I just go to the meat counter (HEB) and ask for a 2, 3 or 4 lb. boneless pork butt. I would think the meat counter at most grocery stores would accommodate such a request.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks. I tried my normal Kroger location (in Dallas suburbs) and it was no go a getting that amount. Glad to hear other places do. Trying Tom Thumb next.
HTownAg98
Robert C. Christian said:

How do you get small amount of pork butt? I usually only see 7-10 lbs available in store (Kroger/Tom Thumb) but the recipes I see call for 2-3 lbs. Do you freeze the extra for later use or go to a butcher for the correct weight?

I use what I need for the stew and use the rest to make carnitas or pork confit for rilletes or other things like a sausage
TikkaShooter
This was part of our Easter lunch yesterday, along with rice, beans, beef fajita, queso, etc.

There was ZERO green pork leftover.

Great recipe for a crowd.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
It definitely needs to have salt added, as does pretty much any recipe that you cook. I usually add a scoop of better than bouillon chicken to it before blending. Works great.
88Warrior
Robert C. Christian said:

I use the pork country style ribs (pork shoulder cut) when I make it and it works out great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.