Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pressure Cooker Pork Chile Verde

17,582 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by 88Warrior
gigemags87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to recommend this incredibly delicious recipe. The taste to effort ratio is off the charts. Thought it would make a great Super Bowl meal.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html
Max Power
AG
I can confirm it is indeed an awesome recipe.
Joseydog
AG
I concur.
FtBendTxAg
AG
It's one of the best recipes I make semi regularly, and my picky wife loves it. Kenji is right about the fresh ground cumin seeds. I used the equiv amount of pregeound jar H-E-B brand and it was underwhelming, I almost needed double the amount.

Tastes great on corn or flour.
jt2hunt
AG
This was very good and really quick!!!
JYDog90
AG
Is it hot? Will my kids eat it?
Formerly Willy Wonka
Txmoe
AG
I don't have an instant pot/pressure cooker. Would I get similar results in a crock pot?
La Fours
AG
I don't see why not. It will just take 4-6 hours in the crock pot.
aTm_bomb
AG
It's only as hot as the jalapenos you out in it. More tangy due to the tomatillos.

It takes longer to cook but I think it's better in a Dutch oven... Kenji has the same recipe if you prefer not using a Crock-Pot or instant pot.
HTownAg98
aTm_bomb said:

It's only as hot as the jalapenos you out in it. More tangy due to the tomatillos.

It takes longer to cook but I think it's better in a Dutch oven... Kenji has the same recipe if you prefer not using a Crock-Pot or instant pot.

Same. I did it once in a pressure cooker, and it scorched because my pressure cooker is too big. I made it in a Dutch oven next time and it was excellent.

If you do this in a crock pot, it's likely to be thin and lacking some depth. It may still be good, but it won't be as good as a pressure cooker or cooked in a Dutch oven.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Going to give this a shot for dinner tonight. Seems like perfect cold weather food.
gigemags87
AG
Just de-seed peppers and trim out the white ribs inside of seranos and jalapeos.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Can we go back to calling the insta pot what it is? It I a pressure cooker that was rebranded after the Boston marathon bombing.

It's a damn pressure cooker

End of rant recipe looks tasty
jt2hunt
AG
Did this a second time and it was good but not great, missing the fish sauce is why.
aTm_bomb
AG
jt2hunt said:

Did this a second time and it was good but not great, missing the fish sauce is why.

I added some macaroni noodles and made green chili Mac.... My Mexican coworkers said it was better than what they make at home.
FIDO*98*
AG
It never fails to give me a chuckle that there is some assumption that being from a different country or a different race automatically means you are a great cook.

Serious Eats is for sure my favorite food website. Actually it's probably the only site I go to regularly. This recipe definitely looks legit so it's probably no surprise that it's better that what they eat at home considering most people aren't great cooks, Mexican or otherwise
HTownAg98
Same reason why lots of squareheads make not so great homemade sausage.
aTm_bomb
AG
FIDO*98* said:

It never fails to give me a chuckle that there is some assumption that being from a different country or a different race automatically means you are a great cook.

Serious Eats is for sure my favorite food website. Actually it's probably the only site I go to regularly. This recipe definitely looks legit so it's probably no surprise that it's better that what they eat at home considering most people aren't great cooks, Mexican or otherwise

I agree, Kenji really changed the way I approach cooking. The Food Lab book has become a regular gift to people for inspiration. I generally Google serious eats and whatever oi am looking for before anything else.

My reference was really just an obligatory "I can cook _____ at home better". However, I took the chili Verde pork to work and coworkers said it reminded them of home. Good or bad, it was a big culinary shot of confidence for me. Your gumbo and enchilada sauce did the same with family and friends.
cbminers
AG
Made this yesterday and WOW this is some good stuff.

I don't have an instant pot so I had to make some modifications for a crock pot.

1 - I cubed up the pork butt, seasoned with S&P, garlic powder, and cumin, then roasted @450 while I got everything else together and in the crock pot, about 30 minutes. This got me some good browning action going on and also gave the pork a jump start.

2 - I set the crock pot to high, added all the ingredients, then the pork AND drippings straight from the oven. As soon as the pot was simmering i reduced the heat to low and let it ride for 6 hours.

3 - We didn't want stew. Once the pork was falling apart and removed from the crock pot, I took my immersion blender to the remaining contents. I transferred said contents to the stove and reduced by ~25% to tighten up the sauce a bit.

We served the pork, shredded and sauced, over homemade tostada "chips" with refried beans, queso fresco, shredded cabbage, sour cream, lime wedges and cilantro for garnish.

This would also be great in enchiladas, tamales, or on a bun.

Delish
Leeman
Made this yesterday (minus the fish sauce - yuck). WOW. Came out great. Was a little thinner (watery) than I would have preferred. I didn't have the time to reduce it. I will definitely make it again !

Thanks !
investorAg83
AG
Leeman said:

Made this yesterday (minus the fish sauce - yuck). WOW. Came out great. Was a little thinner (watery) than I would have preferred. I didn't have the time to reduce it. I will definitely make it again !

Thanks !

Fish sauce isn't fishy. Start using it every now and then. It's GREAT for stuff like this.
HTownAg98
Leeman said:

Thanks !

Use the fish sauce. It doesn't take much. In fact, if it tastes fishy, you added too much. Also, get a good fish sauce like Red Boat. If the ingredient list has anything besides fish and salt, put it back.

I made this on the stove top last time. I cut the meat smaller, and it was done with about an hour simmering. Fishing all the meat out was a giant pain in the ass, but worth it. If you want to do this recipe on the stove, brown the meat first, remove it from the pot, and then add the vegetables. Put the meat on top, and put a lid on the pot. You'll think you are going to scorch everything, but as the water releases from the vegetables and the meat, the consistency will be right.
schmendeler
AG
I like it a lot over rice. And the second time I made it with pork tenderloin rather than shoulder because the first time it was super fatty. Probably could do shoulder if I trimmed it a good bit first.
beagle2009
AG
We made this over the weekend and all I can say is this is definitely going into the regular rotation! Served over rice, topped with avocado. I too used pork tenderloin instead of shoulder (couldn't find one small enough) and browned before throwing in the pot with the veggies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If I use fish sauce, is it still real chili verde?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If I use fish sauce, is it still real chili verde?

If you didnt grow the peppers and raise the pig is it real chili verde? Otherwise you are just putting ingredients together like a Betty Crocker box.
Ags03
AG
Question for the group. I made this tonight and tried to follow Kenji's recipe very closely. I used ground cumin as opposed to fresh cumin but everything else spot on. My wife and I both thought it was good but was lacking in a lot of flavor. Was almost bland.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Is there something else you have added to give it a bit more taste?
investorAg83
AG
Ags03 said:

Question for the group. I made this tonight and tried to follow Kenji's recipe very closely. I used ground cumin as opposed to fresh cumin but everything else spot on. My wife and I both thought it was good but was lacking in a lot of flavor. Was almost bland.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Is there something else you have added to give it a bit more taste?

Yes. I agree. Check my post on the 'what are you cooking tonight' thread. I've made something similar that was far better although not with the pressure cooker.
aTm_bomb
AG
I personally think the pressure cooker version lacks the depth of the Dutch oven method. Low and slow in the oven made this one of my favorite things to cook.
HTownAg98
Ags03 said:

How closely did you follow the recipe, as in what else did you do different?

I'll also add that ground cumin is like ground nutmeg when it comes to buying it pre-ground: they taste nothing like grinding it yourself.
schmendeler
AG
I'm having a hard time imagining someone following the recipe and finding it bland.
investorAg83
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm having a hard time imagining someone following the recipe and finding it bland.

For east coast people, it may have enough chili spice to think it has good flavor. For me, it lacked spice and depth. More serranos and some diced green chilis helped but the spice still lacked.
Robert C. Christian
AG
investorAg83 said:

schmendeler said:

For east coast people, it may have enough chili spice to think it has good flavor. For me, it lacked spice and depth. More serranos and some diced green chilis helped but the spice still lacked.

So in your opinion is spicy synonymous with flavorful? I agree that this registered maybe a 1 on spicy but, to me, it still has good flavor.
fav13andac1)c
AG
schmendeler said:

Only thing I can think is not enough salt, as they really don't give amounts.
fav13andac1)c
AG
nm
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.