Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Holiday Beverage Recipe

26,083 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made this recipe late August. Multiplied measurements by nine yielded enough for twelve 750ml bottles (Xmas party gifts). Already killed one bottle. So good!
https://seattlemag.com/eat-drink/love-nog-sun-liquors-aged-eggnog-recipe
aggielax48
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

jah003 said:

Make the Alton Brown Nog and thank me later...
https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Even better if you age it. Had a year old batch the other day that was phenomenal.
So is the alcohol listed in this correct. Only 1.25 fl oz of each for 2.5 fl oz total. How is that enough for that much liquid? Seems like it wouldn't be enough alcohol to kill anything.
I'm a little late to the party this year but I pulled up the recipe and thought the exact same thing. No way that is right, not even half an ounce of booze per serving.

I did a google search and found the old recipe.
GIF Reactor
AG
Anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving night to see how my batch turned out.
jah003
S
aggielax48 said:

ValleyRatAg said:

jah003 said:

Make the Alton Brown Nog and thank me later...
https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Even better if you age it. Had a year old batch the other day that was phenomenal.
So is the alcohol listed in this correct. Only 1.25 fl oz of each for 2.5 fl oz total. How is that enough for that much liquid? Seems like it wouldn't be enough alcohol to kill anything.
I'm a little late to the party this year but I pulled up the recipe and thought the exact same thing. No way that is right, not even half an ounce of booze per serving.

I did a google search and found the old recipe.

What the hell happened there? I promise it was right when I posted it initially. I take no responsibility for that abomination of a Nog recipe.

Made a triple batch of the OG recipe a few weeks ago. It's coming together real nice. Wish it would get cold again.
Absolute
AG
Tried the alton old.recipe. Not a huge fan of eggnog, an even I like it. Made some in October for Thanksgiving. Made another batch this weekend to give to family members.
Tumble Weed
Made a batch inspired by the old Alton Brown recipe.
12 egg yolks
1 pound turbinado sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1 pint cream
1 pint half and half
1 pint whole milk
1 cup vsop cognac
1 cup brandy ( I like an Italian one)
1 cup captain Morgan
A little salt
Mix the eggs and sugar first.
turfman80
AG
So which AB recipe is the "one"....the 4 egg version with the whipped whites added, or the 12 egg version using only the yolks? If the 4 egg version, I'm guessing people are doubling or tripling the recipe to get the large quantity of finished product? TIA!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
jah003
S
turfman80 said:

So which AB recipe is the "one"....the 4 egg version with the whipped whites added, or the 12 egg version using only the yolks? If the 4 egg version, I'm guessing people are doubling or tripling the recipe to get the large quantity of finished product? TIA!
12 egg version with the yolks is what you want. I made a triple batch of that. So... 36 eggs.
turfman80
AG
Thanks
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Hodor
AG
jah003 said:

turfman80 said:

12 egg version with the yolks is what you want. I made a triple batch of that. So... 36 eggs.
As good as this stuff is I'm jealous... but DAMN! I'd have to buy another fridge!
jah003
S
Hodor said:

jah003 said:

turfman80 said:

As good as this stuff is I'm jealous... but DAMN! I'd have to buy another fridge!

Ended up with about 14 8 oz. Mason jars to give as gifts and 3 64 oz. Growlers. Should get me through the winter...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Remembered to make this finally today. Won't have a long time to age, but 2 weeks should be okay. If I like it, I'll hopefully make another batch on Christmas and store it for next year. I just stored it in some old glass growlers I had
jah003
S
About a month in and it's really starting to come together. Cheers!
Garrelli 5000
AG
I made this last weekend (the 12 egg plus 3 cups booze recipe).

First time and surely too late to be great, but we'll still consume at least 1/2 starting Christmas or b/w then and NY.

The only challenge making another batch is storage. Only two of us but the fridge and beverage fridge are typically pretty full. If I can figure that out I'll make more over the holidays to store for next season.
Take the trash out staff.
BQRyno
AG
Just made the Alton brown eggnog for the first time and it seems to be separating into twolayers in the fridge. Is that normal?
jah003
S
BQRyno said:

Just made the Alton brown eggnog for the first time and it seems to be separating into twolayers in the fridge. Is that normal?
Yep. Just shake it before you drink.
BQRyno
AG
jah003 said:

BQRyno said:

Yep. Just shake it before you drink.

Awesome, thanks!
ChipFTAC01
AG
After reading this thread for years too late to get some in the fridge a neighbor and I made a batch on Sunday. After sampling it I think we might make another batch this weekend. I can see it disappearing quickly given the alcoholics on my street.
htxag09
AG
Hid a jar in the back of the fridge for this very moment. Enjoying the quiet after the crazy busy week and drinking some eggnog with the wife. Will definitely be making double or triple next year.

One question, the mother in law loves eggnog. But this is a little strong for her. Can you still age it if you cut the booze in half? This is for Altons recipe.

Merry Christmas all!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.