Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Holiday Beverage Recipe

25,991 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it might be good to have a holiday beverages recipes thread (hopefully not one already that I missed).

Specifically looking for a good egg nog recipe (saw a makers mark advertisement that got me thinking). Any other drinks y'all make over the Holiday Season?
jah003
S
Make the Alton Brown Nog and thank me later...
https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Even better if you age it. Had a year old batch the other day that was phenomenal.
planoaggie123
AG
That does look good! I have never made egg nog but want to do so this year. I may need to work on it this weekend. For some reason I always assumed egg nog was something you made just a day or so before serving. Never thought it would improve with age (due to the eggs).

Also have to decide if I want to pack it in an ice chest and take it to the in-laws in Nashville in a few weeks....
rhoswen
AG
Mulled wine
nonag97
This recipe for hot buttered bourbon is to die for:
http://www.designsponge.com/2012/12/behind-the-bar-jen-altmans-hot-buttered-bourbon.html

As is this one for Tom and Jerry:
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tom-and-Jerry-1000078155?2byA74gUVLUyycUS.32

And, yes, Alton's egg nog is legit.
planoaggie123
AG
I obviously have bourbon and actually have some Jamaican rum at the house but no cognac...is that a must or can I up the #s on rum/bourbon (1.5 cups of each)? I can go buy some cognac but I would use 1 cup and likely just store it again until next December...
jah003
S
planoaggie123 said:

I obviously have bourbon and actually have some Jamaican rum at the house but no cognac...is that a must or can I up the #s on rum/bourbon (1.5 cups of each)? I can go buy some cognac but I would use 1 cup and likely just store it again until next December...
I've heard of people doubling up on Bourbon. I had the same issue last year. Went ahead and made it with Cognac though and made a double batch. Had some leftover, but not a ton.

Also... the booze will kill any bacteria lurking in the eggs. As long as you keep it refrigerated it's good for quite a while.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I almost had a heart attack reading the ingredient list for Alton's eggnog.
HTownAg98
I'll make gloog if it's going to be really cold. It's about 32 proof, so it will warm your cockles, but it can also turn your living room into Jonestown the morning after.
Hodor
AG
Decided to try the eggnog. Made a batch this evening to age until a little closer to Christmas.
planoaggie123
AG
Hodor said:

Decided to try the eggnog. Made a batch this evening to age until a little closer to Christmas.
how much does it make? I assume a glass pitcher that you would use for say tea will be more than enough? I am heading to target then the liquor store (need cognac) here in a few (figured i might as well do the recipe as Alton recommends).
Hodor
AG
I ended up with probably 3/4 gallon?
I put it in 1/2 gallon mason jars that I use when I make sauerkraut, and it filled about 1.5.
jah003
S
I'd use mason jars to store... these work perfect.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
We've had this Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. Delicious!

1 qt. Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream
1 banana
1/2 cup banana liquer
1/2 cup brandy

Put all ingredients in a blender and process thoroughly.
Store in freezer.
planoaggie123
AG
Just made a batch. Smells awesome. Can't wait to try. Got nervous when I first beat the eggs as i wondered if the texture would get to where it needed to be (thought maybe I put too much sugar) but after a while it did and everything came together fairly easily...even with my 4 and 2 year olds trying to "help"
Hodor
AG
Tired a bit of the egg nog this evening.
This gon be good!
Will be hard to let it age.
87Flyfisher
AG
Red Rooster

1 1/2 quarts Cranberry Juice
6 oz. can frozen orange juice
2 cups vodka
1 shot Cointreau or other orange liqueur

Mix and freeze overnight
planoaggie123
AG
Any stirring or mixing required or recommended for the egg nog as it ages? Guessing not or the instructions wound say so but thought I would ask.
jah003
S
planoaggie123 said:

Any stirring or mixing required or recommended for the egg nog as it ages? Guessing not or the instructions wound say so but thought I would ask.
Nope... I always shake it before I pour... only because the top gets super thick after a few months.
planoaggie123
AG
OK. Thanks.

Sorry. Two more questions.

1) Just tried some and really good flavor but has more of a "bite" than I expected. Does the aging process increase that or does it mello out some? If it stays this strong would be hesitant to share.

2) seems a decent amount less thick than say the "egg nog" from grocery store. Does it get thicker with aging?
jah003
S
1. Yes. It'll mellow quite a bit. Still boozy after a year, but not overly so.

2. Yes, it'll thinken pretty substantly as well.
FarmerJohn
AG
Vieux Carre.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Hotel-Monteleones-Vieux-Carre
planoaggie123
AG
Egg nog tasted better last night but MAN it is strong. A cup of that and i may be out for the count...can't wait for Christmas Eve!
Max Power
AG
Given the response on this thread and others found online I got some Alton Brown eggnog in the fridge three weeks ago. I can confirm it is indeed quite tasty, but dangerous.

I don't know that I've ever had anything to drink that smelled so powerful but drank so smooth. So if you make some drink with caution but it is indeed worth the hype if given time to age and mellow.

Also of note it does make a large amount so plan ahead.

For the three boozes I went with Makers Mark, Myers Rum and Christian Brothers Brandy.

And to anyone concerned about the use of raw egg yolks I can assure you the amount of alcohol in this is more than sufficient to kill any form of life that tries to survive in the mason jar.
planoaggie123
AG
Max Power said:

Given the response on this thread and others found online I got some Alton Brown eggnog in the fridge three weeks ago. I can confirm it is indeed quite tasty, but dangerous.

I don't know that I've ever had anything to drink that smelled so powerful but drank so smooth. So if you make some drink with caution but it is indeed worth the hype if given time to age and mellow.

For the three boozes I went with Makers Mark, Myers Rum and Christian Brothers Brandy.

And to anyone concerned about the use of raw egg yolks I can assure you the amount of alcohol in this is more than sufficient to kill any form of life that tries to survive in the mason jar.
I could not agree more on how powerful vs how smooth.

I went a little cheaper on the bourbon but don't really regret it. Enough other stuff to muddle the "cheapness".

It ended up being a big hit with the father in law and a few others. Personally, if I make it again next year I may tapper off just a little on the booze and try and thicken it up some.

Ultimately, very happy that i made it and will definitely make this an annual tradition. With the remaining, I poured some in a small mason jar and it is going into the back corner of the fridge. I am going to let it age several months and see how it continues to develop.
Hodor
AG
You had some left?
Mine didn't make it past Christmas Eve.
RangerRick9211
AG
I've been bottling a r/cocktail's variation of Alton's eggnog for a few years now. Racked in September and consumed at our Christmas party.

We 2x the recipe for almost 2 gal. of yield. Age helps mellow the alcohol.

2 glasses of nog chased with a Pumpkinator makes for one of my favorite nights of the year.
planoaggie123
AG
Hodor said:

You had some left?
Mine didn't make it past Christmas Eve.
Hah. I know. Little disappointed with myself. We planned to have a few other friends over and have a small get-together that never happened because my wife and kids were sick pretty much the entire break (and still are). I drank some both Christmas Eve night after we got the kids to bed while we finalized presents and then had some more on Christmas day with the father in law....
Texmid
AG
I must try this.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I made Christmas Pudding Vodka last week.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vodka-recipes/christmas-pudding-vodka/

For the ground mixed spice - just google recipes, you probably have all the stuff in your spice cabinet. I couldn't find blade mace so I took whole nutmeg and and grated some of the shell into the mixture.

For chopped mixed peal, I took some of the orange rind in an orange marmalade jar.

Mine turned out much darker than what you see in the pic, closer to motor oil.

The stuff tastes like Christmas. Store it in the freezer.

For S&G's I decided to make a Christmas Mule. Ginger beer and the vodka. If you didn't watch me pour it you'd think I handed you a super sweet fountain Coca-Cola.
planoaggie123
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

I've been bottling a r/cocktail's variation of Alton's eggnog for a few years now. Racked in September and consumed at our Christmas party.

We 2x the recipe for almost 2 gal. of yield. Age helps mellow the alcohol.

2 glasses of nog chased with a Pumpkinator makes for one of my favorite nights of the year.
I am going to try and be on my game next year and do the egg nog a few months early. I think had I waited any longer it would not have been enjoyable. The last few weeks made a big difference.I am excited to try my "residual" in late February 2018 after the good-ole annual report is filed.

The wife isn't thrilled with this new found "tradition" as it takes up fridge room and we don't have a fridge in the garage but I don't ask for much in life so she will have to learn to deal with it...
JFrench
AG
Christmas day i drink egg nog. Eat a couple carrots to balance my diet.

Excited about the aging. Will start a batch soon.

As a kid my stepfathers side always had eggnog tradition on Christmas. If they werent able to get together they'd make time early Christmas morn to have a glass.

There were 2 recipes. Great grandma and great aunt. Grandma's had no dairy. eggs, sugar, vanilla, and crown. They liked it almost as a foam. I prefer less egg whites but still my preference over dairy. Anyone else's fam not use any dairy?
MarineAggie95
AG
Scotland Shetland Island Nog
12 egg yolks
1lb sugar
Quart of Heavy Cream
Pint of Rum
Beat egg yolks and sugar together then add cream and rum and mix all together
You will feel no pain and get through any cold weather you have
dubi
AG
Max Power said:

I made a batch of Alton Brown eggnog 2 weeks before Christmas and waited until Christmas night to try it.

It was wonderful! I purchased some pretty bottles and gave it to friends and family as gifts.

/sorry for the huge pic

txag2008
AG
Made a batch of eggnog yesterday. We'll see what its like for Christmas.

It's missing cognac since I didn't have any on-hand, but it still seemed plenty boozy without it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.