Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Butcher Box

4,698 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
gvine07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody tried Butcher Box (butcherbox.com)? If so, what did you think?

From what I can tell they ship you different cuts of meat, a combination of beef, chicken, and pork. I'm tempted to try their mixed box.

I'm already a fan of Local Yocal (http://www.localyocalfarmtomarket.com/ ), and Matador Meat & Wine (http://matadormeat.com/ ), but looking forward to trying something new.
TheClaw07
AG
+1 on Yocal and Matador! If I don't buy at Central Market, they are where I go. Might have to look into the butcher box thing though.
cypress-ag
AG
Ordered Saturday and I'm going to see what the outcome is. I'll report back. Used a code to get another 10% off.
gvine07
AG
My wife ordered us a mixed box from butcher box. It arrives Friday at the latest to I'll be sure to give a review, too
Matsui
AG
Please do!
cypress-ag
AG
I got a feeling that the weather out east is delay the delivery of the first order
cypress-ag
AG
Order arrived on time and product was in perfect shape. They damn sure put some effort in the packaging to ensure its fresh. Plan on cooking the steaks on Wednesday.
TheClaw07
AG
What exactly did you order?
cypress-ag
AG
Did the Beef and Chicken box. Did the chicken because of the discount code. Got 2 NY Strips, 4 Flat iron Steaks about 7 oz each and 2 lb of hamburger in 1 lb tubes. Got Chicken Breast and Boneless thighs plus some bacon as a gift for first time order.
Tailgate88
AG
Very interested in the forthcoming reviews.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Comparing the prices between these boxes and what HEB's prices are on Instacart, these boxes are on the very high side of pricing per lb. In line with what you'd pay at Whole Foods. Not saying the quality is not the same, but I'd need a lot of positive reviews before I order.
cypress-ag
AG
Grilled the flat iron steaks last night and they were solid. Good texture and flavor seems fresher. The meat was way redder or more oxygenated than grocery store stuff. Was it remarkably better than Costco steaks ? No
FtBendTxAg
AG
Any more reviews on this?
RK
AG
Quote:

The meat was way redder or more oxygenated than grocery store stuff
or the dye hadn't dissipated, yet...
cypress-ag
AG
Boneless chicken thighs were really good but it may have been the Traeger grilling that made it better. I'm giving it one more order this time doing pork and beef. Again it was good but nit a must have. If you had a busy life with little time for shopping it's cool.
gvine07
AG
My wife and I got the mixed box, which had beef, chicken, and pork (they don't tell you what cuts). "Korean style/cut" beef short ribs were in the box, and I would not have chosen those.

We've eaten the pork chops, ground beef, and the beef short ribs. Still haven't had chicken breast/tenders or NY Strip steaks.

The pros - The packaging was very nice and got me friggin' excited. I tried new cuts that I wouldn't buy in a store and had a nice change of pace from always grilling a ribeye & tenderloin, or chicken breasts. I think it's also cheaper than boutique butcher shops. I never buy pork chops but already ate the 4 they delivered. Everything is individually packaged which was nice when grilling for 2.

The cons - It was frozen, not as good as Local Yocal or Matador, and I didn't get to choose any cuts of meat.

Verdict: I'm going to try to find something similar that is local and/or higher quality beef, and/or get one more delivery from Butcher Box. I actually like the subscription model where I don't have to choose what to buy, but I'm guessing there's a better option out there.
shimmeringshark
AG
Shipping new to Texas from the Northwest next month (formerly only shipped to the west coast) - Crowd Cow. Crowd source beef, "claim with friends and tip a cow". Have not tried due to its former shipping policy, but have tried online sources like Heartland Beef and Snake River Farms. Eager to try. See Crowd Cow here. More on who they are and how it works here.
Tailgate88
AG
Crowd Cow Shipping

Sorry, we don't ship to College Station, TX yet.

Guess I'll check again next month...
AgEng06
AG
I guess the idea is good, but man that's pretty damn expensive.
schmendeler
AG
I feel like that crowd cow service must have a HUGE margin. i'll just go to Costco, TYVM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.