Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sipping tequilas

15,185 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bird Poo
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know absolutely nothing about sipping tequilas but got to try some Puro Verde Extra Anjeo that impressed me a lot. Saw it at Specs for $40 (list price is $70+) so I grabbed a bottle and have been very happy with it.
AggieChemist
AG
DJ1942 is so smooth that it almost doesn't taste like tequila.

I really like Hotel California reposado, but I don't think it's available in the states. My bottle came from Baja. It's very approachable and more reasonably priced.

I recently tried Fortaleza and it was wonderful. It had some almost fruity notes I hadn't tasted in other tequilas.

But I'm not proud. I'll sip Cazadores or 1800 or just about anything with a cigar.
schmellba99
AG
Picked up a DJ 70 today, based on this thread and my experience with DJ 1942. We shall see if it is worth or not, but my expectations are set high already.
aggiebq03+
If you liked the Fortaleza, get some Casa Noble Anejo.
schmellba99
AG
DJ70 tonight. Pretty good, veey smooth with a nice citrus finish - hint of agave/lime for me. Definitely a keeper in the bar. Not as good as 1942, but half the price and double the availability.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
I might be strange, but hussong's reposado is probably my favorite sipping tequila. It's also one that I can kill in a day without realizing the time flowing by. Something about drinking tequila straight from a clay bottle is alluring to me, I guess.
BigCountryAg
AG
Furious Styles said:

<Casa Noble Anejo

Picked this up yesterday and it was quite tasty!>

My wife and I were in San Francisco a couple weeks ago celebrating our 25th anniversary.

I'm mostly a bourbon & scotch guy but have always been interested in learning more about sipping tequila.

Stopped in a little liquor store while visiting Carmel and asked what was their best Anejo and they recommended Casa Noble Anejo. I must say, as a novice tequila guy I was amazed how smooth it was. It had a bit of a earthy/smokey/peppery bite like an islay scotch but was very intriguing and had an interesting flavor profile.

Highly recommend.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
tw98ag
AG
Don Sergio Resposado ($25) - smooth / good price
Cazul Reserva Extra Anejo ($52)
CharlieBrown17
AG
schmellba99 said:

DJ70 tonight. Pretty good, veey smooth with a nice citrus finish - hint of agave/lime for me. Definitely a keeper in the bar. Not as good as 1942, but half the price and double the availability.

Picked up a bottle of the 70 based on this thread today for the wife
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wife got home from her internship today (working on a masters) and we broke the DJ70 open. That's a damn fine tequila
Gator2_01
AG
As a recent transplant to Jalisco, Mexico, this thread is relevant to my interests!

I am a big whiskey/bourbon/whisky fan, but those are tough to source down here and when you do find them they are absurdly priced compared to good tequila. It's important to note that it is tough to find BAD tequila in Jalisco. Following are the sipping tequilas we keep at the casa:

Cava de Oro Anejo is by far my favorite sipping tequila. It has the charred oak and sweetness I want in a fine bourbon and has firmly planted itself as my current favorite sipping tequila. (Costs me ~$30 USD)

Don Julio 70 seems to be recommended a lot around here and for good reason. My wife doesn't like the smoky flavor that can be had from most Anejo/Reposado tequilas so Don Julio 70 really hits the spot. (Costs me $15-20 USD)

Tradicional Plata has a version imported to the US by Jose Cuervo. In Mexico it is not a branded Cuervo product and is a very respectable sipping tequila. We like the Plata version due to my wife's dislike of smoky flavors in liquor. (Costs me ~$12 USD)
AustinCountyAg
Bumping..... recently got turned on the the Hornitos Black. I enjoy mixing it with a little water over ice. I know nothing about tequila but would like to try some more. Knowing I enjoy the hornitos black what are some other recs?
SpiderDude
AG
gigemags87 said:

Have also been enjoying mezcal old fashioneds. Currently using Del Maguey Chichicapa.

I enjoy a good Oaxacan Old Fashioned. I usually use 3:1 tequila to mezcal (I use both spirits in mine). Sweeten with Agave syrup. For bitters I use Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate Bitters but I imagine mole bitters would be bomb as well. The rest of the details can follow your traditional Old Fashioned routine (cherry, orange zest, etc.)
lazuras_dc
AG
Heard about Clase Azul Reposado in a podcast and bought a bottle. It's good, easy to drink neat and a little sweet than I remember DJ Reposado being. But For the price... not sure that I would buy again.
The Silverback
AG
Am I the only one who thinks DJ1942 is the most overrated tequila out there? Not that it is bad, but it is just OK compared to others, particularly most extra anejo's

La Familia (probably my favorite, prices went up about 40% 6 months ago)
Cava de Oro (2nd favorite, but hard to find)
Senior Rio Extra Anejo
Dulce Amargura Extra Anejo (this one is outstanding for same price as DJ1942)

Have the pleasure to have some Clase Azul Ultra a couple times and it is the nectar of the gods. Unreal. the GOAT in my opinion, but ridiculously expensive.

HTownAg98
I'm not a fan of these anejo tequilas that have been filtered to smooth them out. Seems like they are stripping out all of the flavor too.
agcrock2005
AG
Expensive and hard to find, but unique and good.
FbgTxAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I've been enjoying Codigo Rosa. It's aged in wine barrels from Napa and has a great flavor.

This stuff makes a very excellent and unique top-shelf margarita.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
javajaws
AG
Picked up a bottle of Casa Noble Single Barrel Extra Anejo today...can't wait to taste it!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
AGdent07
AG
Made some great reposado margaritas the other night and my buddy poured some Navan on top as a floater. It's a vanilla cognac made by Grand Marnier. He actually added some Madagascar vanilla beans into the bottle and let them infuse. I highly encourage you guys to keep a look out for it since it is no longer being made.
AGdent07
AG
Here's a stock photo of what a bottle looks like
Txmoe
AG
Tierra Noble Anejo is a great sipping tequila for the price. Great nose to start with and a very smooth flavor.
cecil77
AG
Not a big tequila guy, but I've run across one that is just amazing. Steve Reynolds (Reynolds Family Winery in Napa) has, along with partners created Penta Tequila. Not cheap $125 Reposado and $150 Anejo. But damn, just amazing. Tested with various tequila friends and they've all thought it amazing.

I get it from Bounty Hunter online. Twin liquors has a sku for it, but I've not seen it in their stores.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Jesus.

I don't think that website could be more pretentious
cecil77
AG
How so? Steve is a nice guy, and not at all pretentious. The tequila just has to be tried...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Lol even worse since it copied in all caps, but come on man. That's terrible.

Quote:

WHAT IF YOU COULD CAPTURE ALL THE TERROIR-DRIVEN MAGIC TYPICALLY ASSOCIATED WITH WINE, COMBINE IT WITH CENTURIES OF HISTORY, AND FUNNEL IT ALL INTO A SMALL BATCH, ULTRA-LUXURY TEQUILA THAT EPITOMIZES BLENDING AND BALANCE?

WE'VE DONE IT, AND THE RESULTS ARE JUST AS SPECTACULAR AS YOU MIGHT EXPECT.

EACH SIP IS A NOD TO QUALITY. THE QUINTESSENTIAL DELICATE BALANCE OF BURGUNDY. THE SULTRY, FULL-BODIED DECADENCE OF NAPA VALLEY CABERNET. PENTA RESONATES WITH THAT SAME DESIRE FOR REFINEMENT AND BALANCE COMBINED WITH ENDLESS REGARD FOR TEQUILA'S HISTORY, RESPECT FOR LOCAL TECHNIQUE, AND A STRONG DESIRE TO ELEVATE THE CLASSIC TASTE OF AGAVE TO DELICIOUS NEW HEIGHTS.
cecil77
AG
I guess for wine people that's kinda mild. And, quite frankly, the words are appropriate for the tequila.
K Bo
AG
I typically keep Casamigos reposado at the house as the occasional sipper but was gifted a bottle of Clase Azul reposado for my birthday. Holy hell I forgot how good that stuff is.
Bird Poo
AG
Azulejos. Reposato.

Best I've ever had.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.