Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sipping tequilas

15,145 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bird Poo
gigemags87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had some La Familia on vacation and was impressed. Reminded me of a good cognac and some vanilla flavors like bourbon.

Any others I should try before buying a bottle of this?

Edit - Summary Mentions (as of June 2020)

***Top Mentions***
Don Julio 1942 (8)
Don Julio 70 (6)
Casa Noble Anejo (4)
Fortaleza Reposado (4)
Clase Azul Reposado (4)
Jose Cuervo Reserva De La Familia (3)
Casa Dragones (2)
Cava de Oro Anejo (2)

***Each with one mention***
Abandando Anejo
Avion Anejo
Avion Reposado
Azulejos Reposado
Cabo Wabo Reposado
Casamigos Silver/Reposado
Cazul Reserva Extra Anejo
Chinaco Anejo
Clase Azul Ultra
Codigo 1530 Rosa
Corrido Anejo
Don Sergio Reposado
Dos Artes Reserva Especial Extra Anejo
Dos Lunas
Dulce Amargura Extra Anejo
Dulce Vida Extra Anejo
El Campeon Line
Gran Centenario
Herradura Selecciones Suprema
Hotel California Reposado
(Jose Cuervo) Tradicional Silver
Maestro Dobel Silver/Reposado
Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Reposado
Partida Silver/Reposado
Patron Extra Anejo
Penta Anejo
Puro Verde Extra Anejo
Senor Rio (Extra?) Anejo
Tierra Noble Anejo

Bruce Almighty
AG
If you can swing the cash, Don Julio 1942
BurnetAggie99
Corrido Tequila Try the Anejo

Jock 07
AG
The only tequila I've ever had that was decent enough to sip on was clase azul.
Proc92
http://mezcal.com/tobala/

Had this. Delicious.
tremble
AG
quote:
If you can swing the cash, Don Julio 1942

Love this stuff. Been a while though
BurnetAggie99
From Tequila.net:
Gold Metal Winner both Anejo & Extra Anejo.

Tequila Corrido Extra Añejo is a very limited production Single-Barrel extra añejo. Only 10,000 liters of this tequila were placed in a small lot of 50 specially selected white oak barrels. The beautiful dark golden amber color is a result of the three years of aging, which gives the tequila the taste you may recognize from a Pappy Van Winkle's bourbon or Cognac. Corrido Extra Añejo is aged the same way they are aged, in charred white oak barrels.

“Extra” has a dark golden color attesting to it's extended time in the wood. Velvety texture, decadent mouth feel, taste and finish outline the elegant and wonderful cognac style qualities of this truly exceptional Extra-Anejo.

The tequila market is pretty crowded, which tends to push distillers to try new things to help make their product unique and stand out from the pack.  Corrido Tequila does this by taking a page out of both wine and bourbon’s playbook to create a unique line of tequilas with distinct and exceptional taste.

Corrido uses bourbon barrels to age their Reposado, Anejo and Extra Anejo tequila.  While this isn’t unique, what they do with those barrels is: for the Reposado and Anejo they ‘rack’ their barrels, moving the tequila from one kind of barrel to another over the life of its aging. Racking is a technique generally used for wine; doing it for tequila is a much bigger endeavor because of the way tequila is supervised. Literally every time a barrel of tequila is opened it must be supervised by the tequila governing body.  So, racking tequila isn’t something that’s really been done.  Corrido Reposado ages for six months and splits its time between bourbon barrels from Maker’s Mark and Jack Daniels. The Anejo is aged for eighteen months and spends three months in Maker’s Mark, three months in Jack Daniels, and then the reminder in a non-disclosed barrel.

Corrido’s Extra Anejo takes a page out of whiskey’s playbook as it’s offered as a single barrel. Each bottle is hand numbered to include the barrel, and in tasting tequila from different barrels we did note distinct differences.

As if all this weren’t enough, the tequila from Corrido Tequila is all single estate, meaning all the agave used for the tequila comes from the same highland estate.  When you put all these elements together, Corrido Tequila sounds like an ultra premium tequila, and while it tastes like it, the price points for it are so reasonable it almost makes you ask, “What’s the catch?”

[This message has been edited by Burnetaggie99 (edited 5/4/2014 11:42a).]
Aggiejue
AG
Clase Azul Reposado has my vote. Pretty good juice.
Ringo88
AG
Cabo Wabo Reposado.
If you can get past the name and hype, it's flat-out good juice.
thatguy2014
AG
Abandando Anejo. A little sweeter than most tequilas, but oh so good.
elchucoag93
AG
Don Julio 1942. Avion reposado or añejo
ElGatoBill
AG
Noblemen06
AG
The DJ 1942 is money and costs a lot of money...worth every cent
bevokilla
AG
Clase Azul
La Familia
DJ 1942
clem93
AG
I prefer both of these over Don Julio 1942, which has too much vanilla taste for me.

Chinaco Anejo

Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Reposado
AggieBQ03
AG
Casa Noble Anejo
One of the best things I've ever had to drink.
jelfag06
AG
Don Julio 1942.. amazing stuff
FDT 1999
AG
Anything by Herradura (Silver, Reposado, or Anejo) with their Seleccion Suprema being their really high-end stuff. It's fantastic!

[This message has been edited by FDT 1999 (edited 6/5/2014 9:02p).]
Furious Styles
Casa Noble Anejo

Picked this up yesterday and it was quite tasty!
HTownAg98
This thread could use a resurrection.

I had a Dos Artes Reserva Especial Extra Anejo when I was on vacation in Paso Robles. Holy cow this is a great sipping tequila. It was smoky, but grassy, with loads of complexity, and really, really smooth with a long and pleasantly lingering finish. I'm trying to find this stateside now.

Since I couldn't find that, I bought a Sierra Milenario Extra Anejo. This seems like it can't decide if it is trying to be extra Anejo tequila or average vsop cognac. The higher than typical proof give some more burn on the finish. Not bad, but could be better for the price.
Oso96
AG
Don Julio 70 is really good and much cheaper than 1942
gigemags87
AG
Thanks for keeping this going!

I'm enjoying the Don Julio Blanco for margaritas and Casa Dragones for sipping (in addition to the obvious - Clase Azul Reposado, La Familia, etc.)

Also enjoy the Partida Blanco for margaritas.
Chipotlemonger
AG
How do y'all sip/what glass out of? Anything added to the tequila? Is a glencairn not apropos for tequila?

I've got a good reposado on hand but I'm not one to have it save for rare occasions.
JR69
AG
Dos Lunas Silver
Partida Blanco or Reposado
Maestro Dobel Silver or Reposado
MosesRAB-93
AG
Not a tequila fan, but was blown away by the Casamigos. I think we had the silver one.
gigemags87
AG
Have also been enjoying mezcal old fashioneds. Currently using Del Maguey Chichicapa.
Orozco05
Patron Extra Anejo is really good. (Don't knock it till you try it) The Patron Roca line is solid as well.
Clase Azul is really nice. I got to try their Ultra Anejo at work. I didn't really get Agave notes on the palate. Tasted more like Cognac at that point.
Obviously Don Julio 1942.
Codigo Repo & Anejo are solid.
El campeon line is pretty damn good too. If you can find it.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Casa Dragones is great, blanco and Joven ($$$)
schmellba99
AG
Not a huge tequila guy, but had a pour of the DJ 1942 last night. Damn, that is good stuff.
JJWAGGIE
AG
I have settled on the DJ70 myself... love that stuff.
IslandAg76
AG
I've found this to be good stuff and not ridiculously expensive.

https://grancentenario.com/products/
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've been enjoying Codigo Rosa. It's aged in wine barrels from Napa and has a great flavor.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Oso96 said:

Don Julio 70 is really good and much cheaper than 1942

This may be my favorite tequila of all time. The aroma is incredible. The taste is superb. Goes down like cream. Incredible.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I've been enjoying Codigo Rosa. It's aged in wine barrels from Napa and has a great flavor.

I've had the Codigo anejo and blanco. Both very good.
aggiebq03+
If you haven't yet tried Fortaleza I highly recommend purchasing a bottle. The blanco was my first bottle and man this has an earthy smell and flavor unique to any tequila I've had. Really good stuff.

Just opened a bottle of the Fortaleza Reposado, and it losses a little of that unique smell with the aging but man it is smooth and aged into an even better tequila. Some pepper spice on the tongue but no burn at all going down.

Fortaleza was one of the original Sauza distilleries, and while they sold off the family name and much of the growing land and distilleries back in the 70s this one stayed in the family. Can't use the Sauza name so the great great grandson is now selling under the Fortaleza brand named after the distillery.

I may still give a slight edge to Casa Noble Anejo as my all time favorite, but this gives it a run for the money.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.