Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso w/Sodium Citrate

200,152 Views | 658 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ToddyHill
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

That's possible. I consider what I get at Pappasito's or el tiempo to be about perfect when piping hot (similar to heavy cream). When cold, those are the consistency of a thick yogurt. The queso I ended up with was the consistency of whole milk when hot and heavy cream when cold.
I had a similar experience with the recipe on the front page and the queso not being to my preferred thickness level. I would reduce the amount of water you are using.
schmendeler
AG
Quinn said:

schmendeler said:

That's possible. I consider what I get at Pappasito's or el tiempo to be about perfect when piping hot (similar to heavy cream). When cold, those are the consistency of a thick yogurt. The queso I ended up with was the consistency of whole milk when hot and heavy cream when cold.
I had a similar experience with the recipe on the front page and the queso not being to my preferred thickness level. I would reduce the amount of water you are using.
yeah, I think that will be my plan for next go round.
aeroag14
AG
Really weird. But has anyone ever flown with Sodium Citrate?

I am travelling for the holidays and was planning on taking enough sodium citrate to make a few batches of queso. However, it occurred to me that travelling through an airport with a plastic baggie of a white powdery substance may throw up some red flags with TSA.

Anyone done this or have any advice?
SJEAg
AG
This made me LOL.

But a hidden baggie of this stuff isn't going to set off alarms on a carry-on scan. Just don't put it in (or even have, to avoid a check) anything that could look like it can contain liquid (jar, bottle, etc). From what I've seen online and from some acquaintances (WA residents)...pot doesn't show up either. Better to carry-on than check it. Since you're actually carrying something legal, I wouldn't even stress it.
superunknown
AG
USPS 2 day mail
Tailgate88
AG
So my kid had a birthday party last night and asked for queso with "no vegetables Dad, because vegetables are gross." And by vegetables he means including the little bits of peppers in Rotel etc. So we made plain queso, just water and cheese. The texture was amazing and they loved it but it was completely boring. Next time I'll at least add sausage or ignore him and put Rotel in it anyway.
CDub06
AG
Use Fresh Veggies and change his tune
gigemJTH12
AG
I remember when I was little I thought the veggies/rotel ruined queso.
gigemJTH12
AG
complete(kinda) sidenote...so everyone here knows Julios chips/salsa I assume..but have any of you ever had their queso??

I have never seen it in Houston. But they have it where I hunt(close to Del Rio).
Holy crap.

It is very, very good. Not just good for store bought pre made queso. Its some of the best queso I have eaten.
B-1 83
AG
Just made a batch with sauted onion, serranos, Monterrey Jack, medium cheddar, a hint of smoked Gouda, and chopped tomato added at the end.
toolshed
AG
Mmmmm, breakfast queso!!
htxag09
AG
At first my advice was to tell your kid to suck it up. Then I reread and realized it was his birthday and felt bad....
phatpat21
Is it in the cold section with Julios Salsa?
fta09
AG
phatpat21 said:

Is it in the cold section with Julios Salsa?
I want to say yes. I have never bought it, but I think I have seen it next to the couple of different Julio's salsas.
MichaelJ
AG
Son any ideas on what to make other than quesonand mac n cheese with the sitrate?
Sooner Born
Anything you would put velveeta in.
schmendeler
AG
MichaelJ said:

Son any ideas on what to make other than quesonand mac n cheese with the sitrate?
kick ass broccoli and cheese, i bet.
MichaelJ
AG
So this really is only good for cheese sauces?
Sooner Born
It also helps with treatment of kidney stones.
schmendeler
AG
MichaelJ said:

So this really is only good for cheese sauces?
well, considering we are using it to prevent the proteins in the cheese from coagulating, i'd guess it will work for anything of a similar use.
MichaelJ
AG
Wonder if it could be added to soups in lieu of milk to give them the feel of creamy and silky
aeroag14
AG
Does anyone know if using sodium citrate as the emulsifier (instead of mustard, mayonnaise, egg, etc...) in a vinaigrette would work.

Just curious more than anything
schmendeler
AG
aeroag14 said:

Does anyone know if using sodium citrate as the emulsifier (instead of mustard, mayonnaise, egg, etc...) in a vinaigrette would work.

Just curious more than anything

I think that's a different use (creating a suspension of oil and water) than keeping proteins from clumping.
BPCAg05
wurmhole
AG
Pretty cheap experiment though.
tandy miller
AG
MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!!!
MichaelJ
AG
This may have been discussed previously on this thread. Anyone have any idea to heat the queso back up?
schmendeler
AG
I can't think of any reason the microwave wouldn't work.
jh0400
AG
I always reheat in a double boiler.
MichaelJ
AG
schmendeler said:

I can't think of any reason the microwave wouldn't work.

I made it, granted I used a cup of water and ore shredded cheese (some lessons learned), it cooled down and I put it in a crockpot and brought to a friend's house. T basically separated and is watery now.

Can't figure out how to emulsify it again. Is the problem the extra water, or the ore shredded cheese?
jh0400
AG
Stir it vigorously. It should come back together.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Double boiler is best bet. Heating at low power in microwave may work also.
CyAg
AG

Quote:

Quote:

MichaelJ said:

kick ass broccoli and cheese, i bet.
I can confirm this is indeed correct. I made a batch with 8 oz. Colby Jack (with 3/4 cup water and sodium citrate) and roasted, peeled and seeded hatch peppers.

Best I've ever had... you might not think the peppers would work in that recipe but they did.
SweaterVest
AG
Does anyone know of a place in Houston that carries this stuff? Just ordered some but would like to try this out for a SB party tonight. I know this has probably been asked but I couldn't find an answer on the first three pages or last three.
Bockaneer
AG
we ordered online but supposedly they have it here:
https://www.facebook.com/Lone-Star-Culinary-Spice-Market-137708306313058/

they might even still be open or they could've gone out of business... not really sure

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.