Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,482 Views | 11028 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by EclipseAg
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone is interested in a bottle of the 2021 Scarecrow, let me know. I don't need all three. I'll even throw in the OWC.
Orozco05
Are you in the Houston area by chance?
BSD
AG
Indeed, I am.
bularry
Objective Aggie said:

So today's topic: wine clubs.

I joined Flowers wine club because I had a Pinot and a Chardonnay from them and liked both. Then they somehow changed the discount percentage. So they ended to sending me 3 bottles of Pinot and 3 bottles of Chardonnay but they were all something like $90 each but only 10% off. Here's the thing. Same stuff is at total wine and for about the same price - may have even been cheaper.

Like what's the point? If there is no exclusivity and no discount doesn't that invalidate the need for a wine club?

The only other one I am in is Le Cuvier out of Paso Robles and the place is quirky and hippie but they offer 25% off and you can't get their stuff any other way. It's pretty unique stuff so to me this is the exactly why you would join a wine club.

What am I missing here?

I'd say drop Flowers. Really the only benefit to a wine club is access to wines you can't get otherwise. Even if you don't get a discount, if you like/support the wines it is worth it to know you can get the wines. The other perk is member events, but assuming you don't live near Sonoma coast, that's not of much value, either.

bularry
cecil77 said:

From his description very definitely NOT typical for the area. Hopefully pure Burgundian. 13.6% alcohol would indicate the grapes weren't overripe like most CA Pinot.

I will buy.

13.6% abv in Sta Rita Hills is pretty high compared to peers. Many sub 13 pinots in that AVA, because it is cold and cloudy more than you'd think.

You might be thinking of SLH or some other areas. Sta Rita Hills is definitely not a warm area.

Objective Aggie
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

JCA1 said:

Objective Aggie said:

So today's topic: wine clubs.

I joined Flowers wine club because I had a Pinot and a Chardonnay from them and liked both. Then they somehow changed the discount percentage. So they ended to sending me 3 bottles of Pinot and 3 bottles of Chardonnay but they were all something like $90 each but only 10% off. Here's the thing. Same stuff is at total wine and for about the same price - may have even been cheaper.

Like what's the point? If there is no exclusivity and no discount doesn't that invalidate the need for a wine club?

The only other one I am in is Le Cuvier out of Paso Robles and the place is quirky and hippie but they offer 25% off and you can't get their stuff any other way. It's pretty unique stuff so to me this is the exactly why you would join a wine club.

What am I missing here?
You pretty much answered your own question. It really depends on the club. Some offer better discounts, wine only available to club members, etc. and can make sense. Others don't.

Isn't Flowers part of the Quintessa family? I was a member of Quintessa for a very short period of time until I found out it was cheaper at Spec's. Seems as though their wine clubs offer little to no value.
Yes, Flowers and Quintessa are both part of the Huneeus Wines company. Flowers has pretty wide distro now. What wines were the ones you saw at Total Wines that were $90 or so? Their Sonoma blend stuff is about $55 or so if I recall correctly. Could be more now.

Another benefit of a club is attending events. If you are not near the winery, that added benefit is wasted and you're not going to get as much value out of the club either.

It's their Camp Meeting Ridge selection. It's a notch above the base Pinots and Chards they have.
Objective Aggie
AG
Charcuterie and Chardonnay on a gorgeous Texas afternoon.

QBCade
AG
Happy Saturday all.

cecil77
AG
Thai food in Boerne. Paired 2018 Ch Marie LaRose
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

Happy Saturday all.

Hits right at front of tongue and spreads a little, then back, also hits the roof of the mouth. Dark fruit, but not jammy. Little tartness, some cedar, tar, cigar. Excellent and can go lots longer. Prob will keep the rest another 5-10yrs before I open.
BSD
AG
Another 5-10 years???? Gotta love Howell Mountain! That reminds me, at some point I need to backfill on some old Dunn (and Ridge MB while I'm at it).
cecil77
AG
Picking less ripe will give you that kind of aging potential. Also some things you can intentfully do during vinification can help.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

Another 5-10 years???? Gotta love Howell Mountain! That reminds me, at some point I need to backfill on some old Dunn (and Ridge MB while I'm at it).

Fair warning, auction prices have gone crazy since Jan. Not sure why as the fall had some really good deals.
aggiejumper
AG
Lots of scores being released and a booming stock market. Defies logic but relates to buying more luxury goods i.e. fine wine.
beb06
AG
BSD said:

If anyone is interested in a bottle of the 2021 Scarecrow, let me know. I don't need all three. I'll even throw in the OWC.

If no one took you up on this, I'll take it. Send me a message and we can connect on it.
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

Lots of scores being released and a booming stock market. Defies logic but relates to buying more luxury goods i.e. fine wine.

However, PNV didn't show well this weeekend.
BSD
AG
Orozco05 said:

Are you in the Houston area by chance?

Were you interested in the scarecrow? Beb06 is asking but you were first to respond so I'm checking in to be fair.
BSD
AG
beb06 said:

BSD said:

If no one took you up on this, I'll take it. Send me a message and we can connect on it.

I don't have stars but my email is in my profile. I am waiting on word back from Orozco05 but if he passes, it is yours.
East Dallas Ag
AG

Quote:

R/wine is guessing this. I picked up 3 bottles.

https://thebeauvignecollection.com/13th-anniversary-cult/
confirmed
Stan Crowch
AG
Yep got mine as well. The bottles were hot to the touch. I'm not sure why I keep paying for temperature controlled delivery.
HTownAg98
The last of my $free.99 wines. The Hunnicutt was outstanding, and the Pulenta was still drinkable, but was further down the hill. I had kept these 2007s as that's our anniversary year. But the star of the day was the 2000 Arvay. Holy hell that was amazing.

2007fightintexasaggie
AG
Curious to get some feedback but we were just gifted a Silver Oak 2012-2017 Alexander Valley Collector's Edition. Any worth to this? We partake more in the bourbons vs. the wines.
Orozco05
I will pass. Out of my price range. Thank you for following up though!
aggiejumper
AG
I'm dropping of the list this year, was fun and I have many bottles still sitting but at $695 or so each after taxes and shipping that is too much for what it is. That's 1st growth BDX territory plus as QBCade does, the secondary/auction market is way more fun to play in for these nice wines plus you can buy them with age on them.
cecil77
AG
You just can't be alone in those thoughts. At some point the producers will begin to feel it and have no choice but to adjust.

And not just dropping off, but not taking the full allocation.

(not just Scarecrow, but the entire upper Napa Cab market)
BSD
AG
It's getting ridiculous. I'll say this: it's nice to see Roy Piper and MacDonald holding steady. When talking to Roy, he sees the crazy price hikes and wonders how quickly some of these wineries will burn thru waiting lists (if there is one) and then be stuck with inventory.
WestUAg
AG
I know a few of the owners of high end cab wineries. It's really a mixed bag of some wineries selling out pretty quickly and some having tons of excess wine. I have dropped realm, Colgin, abreu and Bryant just to name
A few because their prices are getting ridiculous and I can locate them at auction cheaper than release
Price.
QBCade
AG
WestUAg said:

I know a few of the owners of high end cab wineries. It's really a mixed bag of some wineries selling out pretty quickly and some having tons of excess wine. I have dropped realm, Colgin, abreu and Bryant just to name
A few because their prices are getting ridiculous and I can locate them at auction cheaper than release
Price.

Yep. All are always on auction. Now, the 100pt years/varieties usually sell for more than original pricing. Those would be ones that I would consider taking
cecil77
AG
QBCade said:

WestUAg said:

Price.

Yep. All are always on auction. Now, the 100pt years/varieties usually sell for more than original pricing. Those would be ones that I would consider taking

Given all the raters you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a 100pt wine it seems.

It's all individual, for example Myriad gets scads of 100pt ratings. But I and several of my friends have found our palates have moved away from that style wine and don't drink it any more, much less buy it.
QBCade
AG
cecil77 said:

QBCade said:

WestUAg said:

Price.

Given all the raters you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a 100pt wine it seems.

It's all individual, for example Myriad gets scads of 100pt ratings. But I and several of my friends have found our palates have moved away from that style wine and don't drink it any more, much less buy it.

True. I guess I should say 100pt RP
BSD
AG
BSD said:

We started off at lunch at Bouchon with 001 Vintners. This is a wine that is from the Ecotone/Thorevilos vineyard which is kind of located on Howell Mountain, it's on the base and not technically Howell Mountain yet. It used to be Abreu's project (he planted it and had it for 30 years) but now it's under a new lease. Fruit goes to a couple of wineries including Colgin. This is a great wine! Graeme MacDonald makes it and it is more classically styled. Not as extracted and big as other Napa cabs, but a bit softer. It releases this spring with its inaugural vintage. https://www.001vintners.com

FYI, this releases 3/12. I'd expect pricing to be slightly over MacDonald pricing.
WestUAg
AG
Had the 001 last week, I think they told me $225 per bottle.
aggiejumper
AG
Any notes on it?
cecil77
AG
Disappointed it's quite that much, but in a collaborative effort there's more pieces of the pie to pay...
Signed up, will probably get a couple.
BSD
AG
WestUAg said:

Had the 001 last week, I think they told me $225 per bottle.

That's I heard, as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 294 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.