Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,691 Views | 11030 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by jh0400
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigAg95 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

How was that one? Can't remember if I've had that one or not but I've drank some from GIL before.

I like the Juan Gil blue and silver Jumillas, both have great QPR. This was also very good for the money, but maybe not as good of a wine. A little too sweet, more like dried cherry than ripe cherry, but it had the chalky minerality and viscosity I associate with good Priorat. I'd buy it again for that price to keep around for a party or good second bottle.
Thank you for posting the details!
HTownAg98
I've always thought the silver label was more balanced than the blue label. The blue label always seemed overly jammy. I haven't had it in forever.
BigAg95
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I've always thought the silver label was more balanced than the blue label. The blue label always seemed overly jammy. I haven't had it in forever.
I haven't had either in few years, but I always preferred the blue. It is quite a bit more expensive than the silver, though. The wines may not be the same product as they were last time I had them, but if they are you'd be hard-pressed to find a $12 red as good as the Juan Gil silver. For the blue, there are plenty of good bottles out there in the $30-35 price range, but I always preferred the Gil to any of the similarly-styled $40-50 bottles that Wagner Family, Austin Hope, and Prisoner/Swift were putting out, and I realize this is not a high bar but it is definitely more balanced than any of those.

I'd be curious to do a side by side tasting of the Gil blue and silver to some of the mourvedres coming out of Paso and central coast. I've tried a few, and they were always pretty inky and jammy, I wonder if the Gils would seem more subdued in comparison.
bularry
I'm in for a Houston event or some such. Non-aggie, fair warning
BSD
AG
bularry said:

I'm in for a Houston event or some such. Non-aggie, fair warning

You're good people. I'll vouch.
Orozco05
Got some Mexican wines this week from one of our newest suppliers here in Texas. Tbh, I know very little about Mexican wines in general but was very surprised with a few of these wines and would happily drink them again.

Bodegas De Cote Albariño
Queretaro, MX
Not as acidic as its counterpart from Rias Baixas, more round, with plenty of floral notes. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Tribos Entrelazo Blend
Coahuila, MX
Cabernet Sauvignon based blend with Cab franc. This was really good. Oak and fruit were well balanced. I see a lot of Napa drinkers on here and this wine certainly fits that mold. Highly recommend, if you can find it.

Pozo de Luna Single Vineyard Malbec
San Luis Potosi, MX
Not a fan of this wine, however there were others who enjoyed the wine. Reminded me of a Rioja with a ton of American oak (which I do enjoy with age). I'd prefer to stick to a Malbec based blend or something with less oak when drinking something younger.

Hilo Negro Sauvignon Blanc
Baja California, MX
Solid Sauvignon Blanc. Would drink again but didn't really separate itself from any other Sauvignon Blanc I've had before. I tend to lean towards Bordeaux blancs and will occasionally open a Sancerre.

FYI I'm terrible at descriptors.
cecil77
AG
Thanks for sharing!
AggieDad24
Officially 75% of the way home on my 20 year vertical thanks to Michel Thibault!
QBCade
AG
New one tonite. 2012

BSD
AG
How is that Crane drinking? Still have one of that vintage left.
QBCade
AG
Haven't tried yet. Just started the process a little ago. Will prob give it another 1hr before trying.
QBCade
AG
It was delicious. Reminds me of a Hundred Acre Kayli. We also had a '96 Maya. Maya was amazing. Prob my favorite wine, period.
BSD
AG
Good to hear! Maya is a great bottle, too. Man, what a night!
AggieDad24
So I bought a bottle of Blantons when I was in Japan just because it was there. I paid 125 for it but I'm not really a bourbon drinker. Anyone want to trade a decent bottle of wine for it?
752bro4
AG
Blantons Black?
AggieDad24
752bro4 said:

Blantons Black?

I have no idea but I don't think so

cecil77
AG
Happy Valentine's Day!
FTAco07
AG
White wine to go with the lemon garlic shrimp orzo for us tonight.

Orozco05
Very nice!
Aggie Therapist
AG
Has anyone ever been to a wine tasting event at Total Wine? It's in their classroom.

Our friend put it together and it's called Viva La France.

First time ever doing something like this at TW.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Question for the wine peeps - friend is trying to hit Total Wine GR status by buying wine with 10x point offers, which means it needs to be "Winery Direct". I know in general TW winery direct leaves a lot to be desired but have yall found any hidden gems? He said his wife especially likes Barolo.

https://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=barolo&pageSize=24&appellation=Barolo&sales=Winery%20Direct&aty=1,1,0,0
FTAco07
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Question for the wine peeps - friend is trying to hit Total Wine GR status by buying wine with 10x point offers, which means it needs to be "Winery Direct". I know in general TW winery direct leaves a lot to be desired but have yall found any hidden gems? He said his wife especially likes Barolo.

https://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=barolo&pageSize=24&appellation=Barolo&sales=Winery%20Direct&aty=1,1,0,0
They have an absolute ton of stuff that is winery direct including lots of well known labels and good quality wines. Hell, they sell Petrus, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, and a bunch of other four figure bottles as winery direct.
mek94
AG
I don't know about Barolo, but for cabernet we love Black Cordon. Made by Paul Hobbs and usually around $90. Excellent cab. Also, Caterwaul by Thomas Rivers Brown is a good value for around $65.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Fair, but I think a lot of the really desirable "winery direct" stuff is not part of the 10x points promos. Anything with a price that ends in a 7 is excluded which means most of what you mentioned is excluded.
FTAco07
AG
I just searched for red wine, 750ml, and winery direct in-stock only and it generates 2,148 results to pick up at my store. I use the 10x points bonus all the time and don't buy crappy wine and have never been frustrated by lack of options.
EclipseAg
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Has anyone ever been to a wine tasting event at Total Wine? It's in their classroom.

Our friend put it together and it's called Viva La France.

First time ever doing something like this at TW.
Never done a wine tasting but I've done some other classes at TW (tequila, bourbon). They weren't expert level or anything but were still fun. And I felt like we got our share of tastings at both.
GarlandAg2012
AG
FTAco07 said:

I just searched for red wine, 750ml, and winery direct in-stock only and it generates 2,148 results to pick up at my store. I use the 10x points bonus all the time and don't buy crappy wine and have never been frustrated by lack of options.
No doubt, thats why I'm looking for some recommendations.

Specifically pertaining to what you said here:

Quote:

Petrus, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, and a bunch of other four figure bottles as winery direct.
those all end in .97 and therefore are not eligible for promotion. I guess you were just illustrating that theres a lot of good "winery direct" wine, which is true. However, there is also a lot of average or below average winery direct wine so I was just looking for ideas for things that people generally feel is a good value.
jh0400
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

If they like Barolo, the other B wines from northern Italy like Barbaresco and Barbera d'Alba/Asti would probably be something they'd enjoy as well. Nebbiolo Langhe is a good Barolo alternative that is ready to drink almost immediately where most Barolos benefit greatly from cellaring.

QBCade
AG
Happy Thursday!

aggiesundevil4
AG
I might have to unfollow this thread for a while….i gave up alcohol for lent!
Aggie Therapist
AG
Same.

I had my first Sleepy Girl Mocktail last night and fell asleep and slept great. I have insomnia and use a CPAP too.

google it. 3 ingredients you can buy at HEB. sounds girly, but this also a wine forum too.
Objective Aggie
AG
What do you guys do at restaurants?
I have raised my standards in the last year or two because I buy stuff I like at home. Fine. For $40-70 I can have a nice bottle of wine pretty easily. And I'm well below the average price per bottle on this thread.

At a restaurant the markup is all over the place but in some cases it's just painful. Last night for valentines the markups were insane. I ultimately went with a Vietti Barolo which retails for $65 for $165 restaurant price as I found it to be the best value but that's like saying the large coke at the movie theater was the best value because it was $17.

Do you just grin and bear it? Bring your own and pay corking? Buy cheap stuff and save money for better wine at home???

cecil77
AG
If corkage isn't offered, I will drink beer.
EclipseAg
AG
Objective Aggie said:

What do you guys do at restaurants?

If it's a special occasion, I'll splurge a bit.

If it's just a regular night out, I usually look for an inexpensive Spanish tempranillo or no-name California merlot.
jh0400
AG
I typically look away from the areas on the wine list that people tend to gravitate toward like Napa Cab (helps that I don't particularly care for them) and look for wines from regions known for good QPR like Campo de Borja, Rosso di Montalcino, or Morgon. I try not to look at what retail is and focus on enjoying the wine with the meal in the moment.
First Page Last Page
Page 291 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.