Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,854 Views | 11030 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by jh0400
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HTownAg98 said:

I'm likely going to be looking for another Napa wine club to join, because I'm looking at dropping Burgess. I can see what is going to happen with them (I paid $75 for a pinot gris that was nothing exceptional and I forgot to swap it out because I'm a moron), and the wines that are $125 this year are going to be $150+ next year. We don't drink much cabernet, but I'd like to keep some in the chiller because there are times that I want a cab. I don't want to commit to more than a case per year (6-8 would be better), and I'd like to stay below $125/btl if possible. I also prefer Napa cabs that are more structured and aren't jammy and over-oaked. I'm looking at Neal, as I've had their wines before, and have liked them. Any other recommendations that I should consider?
check out a Dallas based family that makes a very nice Napa Cab each year. Avril Taylor is brand name. I think Times 10 Cellar might have some in stock to taste.

restrained style, elegant, nothing too complex, but tasty
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

I'm not opposed to Sonoma either, I should have mentioned that. A lot of clubs will allow for some customization, so if I don't want their zinfandel or whatever, I can swap it out.

I was honestly shocked at the price of that pinot gris too. I thought it was a misprint, but it turns out that they're trying to turn it into a cult label like everything else out there. I find it sad, because that property produced some great wines when Steve Burgess and Kelly Woods were making the wines.
Burgess is part of Lawrence Wine Estates, right? Arkansas billionaire who has bought several properties the past 10 years, with Carlton McCoy, MS, running everything.

I definitely think they are seeking more premium product and pricing...
HTownAg98
Correct. Heitz and Ink Grade are a couple of the other properties.
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

Correct. Heitz and Ink Grade are a couple of the other properties.
yep. Stony Hill the crown jewel, along with Heitz
Ags #1
AG

FTAco07
AG
Let's see some Thanksgiving dinner wines. My in-laws put ice in their Prosecco so nothing fancy during dinner, but opened this guy for the wife and me. Cork disintegrated, but the juice is delicious.
aggiesed8r
AG
Just the wife and I this evening
BigAg95
AG
FTAco07 said:

Let's see some Thanksgiving dinner wines. My in-laws put ice in their Prosecco so nothing fancy during dinner, but opened this guy for the wife and me. Cork disintegrated, but the juice is delicious.

We had Prosecco on ice here too! And that is why everything we opened was in the $20-30 range.

That said, the 2019 Turley Juvenile was outstanding. Maybe the best $19 bottle I've ever had.
QBCade
AG
Happy Thanksgiving all!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Which wine went better with the Velveeta I see there in the background?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Happy Thanksgiving, I'm just joking around with the Velveeta comment.
FriendlyAg
I thought it was funny.

We had a "Gratitude" sparkling rose from Iron Horse
with Charcuterie.

We had a nice and easy 2020 Paul Hobbs RRV PN with dinner and it was great with thanksgiving foods.

Opening some nice stuff tomorrow!
QBCade
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Which wine went better with the Velveeta I see there in the background?

Both went great with the Mac & cheese the rib makes.
BSD
AG
We did Thanksgiving a little differently this year.

East Dallas Ag
AG
Friday after Thanksgiving is our annual open good wine, decorate for Christmas tradition. Enjoyed all of these, in order consumed.

QBCade
AG
To commemorate the Mark Stoops era tonite.

HTownAg98
That bottle may have lasted longer than his tenure at A&M.
BSD
AG
Holy crap. Went to bed at 7:00pm last night (just got back from Europe) and apparently I missed a ****show!
aggiecive
BigAg95
AG
UPS just rolled up with my 2021s from William & Mary. Early Christmas present!
Objective Aggie
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Hosting a Christmas party. Will have between 40-60 people.

Obviously will have mixers and scotch and beer. But for this threads purpose let's talk wine.

What would be your crowd pleasers for a red and a wine. I would like to be around $20 and under $30 because of the volume. Also how many bottles would you recommend?

I'll have some other stuff in the wine fridge but didn't want to just plow through all my wines haphazzardly.

I went with the big boys because of presentation and costs. Costco makes this a pretty easy decision. 3L bottles just make a good impression. And while none of these wines are blow your mind good, they are pretty solid and general crowd pleasers. The Roth was actually tasty but maybe I was a few glasses in.

I actually hired a chef and this guy was phenomenal. He was a James Beard semi-finalist this year. Spectacular in every way.
Objective Aggie
AG
Side note the Chardonnay is great for the $16 a bottle. From Total Wine. So much Chardonnay is just over sweet but this is quite smooth annd balanced. And given my girlfriend, the chef, and half of the cuisine was South American I felt compelled to have something from SA.
BSD
AG
For the price, Roth is a good wine. Made by Lancaster Estate, one of the few wine clubs I belonged too before I had to cut back.
Objective Aggie
AG
Meanwhile trying this tonight

QBCade
AG
Amazing wines tonite. Maya was the winner

Pirate04
AG
I may have the opportunity to explore the northern Central Coast region of California in the spring. I love Central Coast wines after spending a lot of time in the Paso Robles/Santa Barbara area but I have not experienced Monterey and Carmel wines yet. Any tips or wineries that are an absolute must??
BSD
AG
I love Maya! Any special occasion or have you just gone full baller mode?
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

I love Maya! Any special occasion or have you just gone full baller mode?

Biz dinner. I brought the Maya, other party brought the Scarecrow and Opus1. Was first time I had Scarecrow. Somewhat disappointing given the price point it commands.
aggiejumper
AG
That 13 Scarecrow needs a 6 hour of decant in my opinion. Not sure how much time between opening and consumption but that's a big wine still.
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

That 13 Scarecrow needs a 6 hour of decant in my opinion. Not sure how much time between opening and consumption but that's a big wine still.

Yeah, it was about 6hrs decant time.
BSD
AG
Nice!!!! I've had some good Scarecrows recently but have yet to open my 2013s. Will probably let those at another 3-5 years. Same with my various ToKalons and Cranes
bularry
nice, excellent vintage for Brunello's
ATL Aggie
AG
QBCade said:

I want to be your friend.
Objective Aggie
AG
Scarecrow on lastbottle!
2017 3 bottles for $2049
Objective Aggie
AG
ATL Aggie said:

QBCade said:

I want to be your friend.
we don't need to be friends, just do a business transaction
First Page Last Page
Page 279 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.