Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,865 Views | 11030 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by jh0400
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I learned a to about wine by traveling to visit wine regions. In the US Napa gets a lot of love, but over time Napa wines and my taste have grown apart. Oregon and Washington are great visits, as are the Finger Lakes and Niagara Bench (if you're open to flying to Buffalo and taking a short drive across the northern border).

Old world is where it's at for me, but that can be a very intimidating place to start.
FriendlyAg
I'd also say just follow this thread and Reddit wine subreddit if you're into that. The guys on here have a ton of knowledge and it's really great to learn from them.

The first wine book I read was Kermit Lynch's adventures on the wine trail. I'm sure some of his opinions are flawed, but I found the book to be extremely captivating. It taught me a lot about the regions and the types of wines by introducing characters. It was very easy to visualize the meals, the places, and the people Kermit was drinking wine with. I found that to be a really fun way to learn about old world, French wines through the eyes of an American.

I also have really enjoyed Konstantin Baum and WineKing on YouTube. I learn a ton from those two channels and I find it fun.

Like Cecil always says, drink more wine and you'll learn.
jh0400
AG
Random question that I suspect someone here has a rec. I'm looking for a place near Napa that is doing Thanksgiving takeout. Right now I have a reservation at Bistro Jeanty but would rather just pick up a meal to take back to our AirBNB.
htxag09
AG
I've kind of fallen out of them, but did really enjoy a lot of the earlier wine for normal people podcasts.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I used to listen to that podcast a lot but got over the host. She is super annoying. And it strayed a long ways off from what it started as. No snark wine talk eventually became snarky wine talk.
JCA1
AG
jh0400 said:

Random question that I suspect someone here has a rec. I'm looking for a place near Napa that is doing Thanksgiving takeout. Right now I have a reservation at Bistro Jeanty but would rather just pick up a meal to take back to our AirBNB.

https://contimonapa.com/thanksgiving

Still a little cooking involved.
JCA1
AG
Currently taking a tour at mending wall and check out what's in the tanks.
BSD
AG
Nice. Who is showing you around today?
JCA1
AG
BSD said:

Nice. Who is showing you around today?

We did a Post Parade tasting with Conner.
BSD
AG
Very cool. Look forward to a report!
jh0400
AG
Looks like a winner.
htxag09
AG
I reached out to Macdonald. I joined the waitlist in 2016 after a tour with them. Still have people from 2014 not getting wine.
HTownAg98
In living my life as "be nice to people, and good things will happen to you," I got a text Saturday morning from a friend that said "I'm cleaning out Dave's wine. Some have been ethereal, and some you will pour down the sink. Bring boxes and take home a couple of cases." I won't get into the background as it's a sad story, but I was one of a select few to come get these wines. There's some amazing stuff that if it has held up, should be freaking awesome. Storage wasn't ideal, but based on the three we've opened so far (12 DR Stephens, 2000 Hartwell, and 12 Black Sears Zin), they've all been really great or just drinkable. There's a 98 and 04 Dunn, 08, 09, and 11 Cobos, a 2012 Peter Michael Les Pevots, a couple bottles of Hunnicutt I grabbed, Fisher Vineyards Lamb Vineyard and Coach Insignia, 03 and 04 Provenance To Kalon, 12 Tor Howell Mountain, 12 Altamura, 12 Pride Merlot, 09 Cade, and a bunch I'm forgetting. I'm putting about a case in the chiller to drink within the next year or two, and the rest will be consumed at parties and gatherings during the upcoming holidays. It's just stupid.
bularry
Chipotlemonger said:

Yea I used to listen to that podcast a lot but got over the host. She is super annoying. And it strayed a long ways off from what it started as. No snark wine talk eventually became snarky wine talk.
I still listen pretty consistently..not every episode but a lot of them
WestUAg
AG
Over 9,000 people on the waitlist. He will have some more wine for 2021 to add a few people to the wait list but it won't be a significant number.
WestUAg
AG
I spent thanksgiving in napa 2 years ago, we dined in at Brix, it was one of the best thanksgiving meals I have ever had. You may want to reach out to them and see if they will do take out.

BSD
AG
Scored a bunch of Pott today.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

One "t" makes quite a difference!
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

I bought a mag of the 2012 Turf War recently and am planning to drink tomorrow. Excited to try as I haven't had. Any good?
BSD
AG
I think you'll enjoy it. It's a very nice wine. Not over the top and you get solid fruits and balance. They don't make a lot of that wine. I think I'm only allocated a bottle or two a year.
BigAg95
AG
cecil77 said:

BSD said:

One "t" makes quite a difference!
BigAg95
AG
BSD said:

Details please. Did they have a release that I am beneath or did you get it another way?
WestUAg
AG
Yesterday was pott single vineyard release. They added a Pinot, brought back a Grenache and added a port type wine to their single vineyard release
BigAg95
AG
Thanks! Looks like I am in another tier, I have not gotten an email yet.
QBCade
AG
Anyone tried this before? Just bought 3

BSD
AG
Never had it but it's my favorite vineyard in Napa so worth a shot.
BSD
AG
WestUAg said:

Yesterday was pott single vineyard release. They added a Pinot, brought back a Grenache and added a port type wine to their single vineyard release

Yep. Single vineyards of Her Majesty (probably my favorite), Turf War (won't make it to next tier) and a new one off Howell Mountain (cab sauv and franc). They also brought back a Grenache and a carignan and while the names of both of those are the same as the previous Grenache and carignan wines, I'm not sure about the vineyards sources remain the same. They very well may be. I looked at my inventory on the carignan and the only one produced is the 2008. The Pinot was released last year as well. Since it was a 2020, I'll probably drink it soon and then cellar this 2021 (I say that I'll drink it early…did Anderson Valley get smoked?). The 2013 port was a project they did a while back but only sold a few bottles at the time. We have the 2012 and 2013 already so I passed on adding more.

BigAg, did you get an email today? Looks like next wave opens up soon.
cecil77
AG
Would be interested to know what clones?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I do not believe Anderson Valley 2020 got as smoked as Napa. Also depends on pick date though.
BigAg95
AG
I did! I missed the Napa cab release this year, my tier sold out in minutes. I usually don't buy his single vineyard stuff, but I may dive in for some bottles from this release.

Anderson got some smoke, only safe if they were picked by August 16. Not sure about the Pott Pinot, but didn't he choose not to release his 2020 cab because of the smoke? If so I doubt he'd put this one out there if it wasn't picked in time.
BSD
AG
If you ever want to hop in on my Napa can order, just let me know. I can get it early and in quantity.

So he didn't release single vineyard cabs in 2020. He used those vineyard sources for the 2020 Napa cab instead. He didn't detect smoke in them but said he didn't feel they expressed the vineyard as they normally do. Something was off. Not that they were bad by any means, but he didn't think he could bottle them as single vineyard wines. The '20 Napa cabs are good. But I'm not aging them to find out if they'll change, as discussed previously. Out of the 12 bottles purchased, only 4 remain.
CowPieAndFries
For you lovers of Bordeaux I picked up some 2020 Domaine de Chevalier at the Costco in River Oaks Houston. $71.00 a bottle. They had quite a bit of it. I didn't taste but notes say 2028 -2040. I typically drink mine towards the front end.
Objective Aggie
AG
Hosting a Christmas party. Will have between 40-60 people.

Obviously will have mixers and scotch and beer. But for this threads purpose let's talk wine.

What would be your crowd pleasers for a red and a wine. I would like to be around $20 and under $30 because of the volume. Also how many bottles would you recommend?

I'll have some other stuff in the wine fridge but didn't want to just plow through all my wines haphazzardly.
Objective Aggie
AG
Best response may get an invite.
jh0400
AG
I'd go something fruit forward and low tannin that's a crowd pleaser for a red. Something from Campo de Borja like a Borsao Tres Picos.
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.