Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,836 Views | 11030 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by jh0400
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had that 2000 Pavillon Rouge back a few years ago. It was damn fine for a $45 bottle!
cecil77
AG
Sorry, I guess my invitation got lost in the mail!

That's dang impressive.

What's the vintage on the Las Cases and Lynch Bages?
bularry
Great looking wine room!
QBCade
AG
Happy Thursday

cecil77
AG
Vintage?
aggiejumper
AG
Look at the neck of the bottle.
cecil77
AG
Oops, there it is. Nice bottle of wine!
QBCade
AG
A sampling of some new acquisitions

cecil77
AG
Wow that's pretty nice..

But serious wine question, just how different are those wines from each other? They're all excellent, but mostly in the same way, aren't they? Although given the older vintages, maybe they aren't all "Napa" as things are now.
BigAg95
AG
This one is drinking nicely right now. Surprisingly. Balanced with plenty of acid, which I don't typically find to be the case with this particular bottling. It is usually a little more on the sweet side, at least for my palette.
JCA1
AG
Popped this yesterday. Very enjoyable.
QBCade
AG
Sweet! Just bought a pack of 6 2013s today!
BigAg95
AG
Nice! I am a big fan of Paso GSMs and that one might be the king of them.
QBCade
AG
cecil77 said:

Wow that's pretty nice..

But serious wine question, just how different are those wines from each other? They're all excellent, but mostly in the same way, aren't they? Although given the older vintages, maybe they aren't all "Napa" as things are now.

Good question. Obviously the Phelps are very close to each other. I hadn't had the AO before so wanted to try. Schrader IMO is v different as it's huge with far and leather. SO is well SO. Yes, I am very narrow in my wine buying and living in NorCal, I like to support NorCal.
BigAg95
AG
QBCade said:

A sampling of some new acquisitions

My favorite cab I've ever had was a 2013 Anthem from Beckstoffer LPV. I bought six of them on a whim and they are long gone. Need to try some more made from that fruit!
gonemaroon
AG
Las Casas was 85 and I think the LB was 90 I believe or 95 - the wine store has so much to sift through I bought a lot of good wines in off years. So far the several I have had all drink really nicely.
cecil77
AG
Opened an 83 Las Cases for my BD last year, amazingly good at such an old age.
QBCade
AG
Enjoyed this to celebrate Sat eve the Ags win.

cecil77
AG
How was it? Ready? Needed a decant?

I've got 13 and wondering where it is...
BSD
AG
QBCade said:

Too young!

We are still holding ours that go back to '07. Only have a few from random vintages. The only Howell Mountain I've actually tasted was from '02 and that was about 5 years ago. Great juice. I'm sure that '12 was nice.
bularry
kudos to you and the wine spending!!

curious how the '04 and '07 come across.
cecil77
AG
Still curious how it was from an actual taste of it!
bularry
cecil77 said:

Wow that's pretty nice..

early 2000's were definitely "Napa" I think..
QBCade
AG
cecil77 said:

How was it? Ready? Needed a decant?

I've got 13 and wondering where it is...

Was very good. I would say it was peaking. Was great right out of the bottle, but 30mins of decanting was great. Also have a '13 that I'll prob wait a few years to open. Found the '12 and '13 mags and got a great deal, so couldn't pass it up.
QBCade
AG
BSD said:

QBCade said:

Too young!

We are still holding ours that go back to '07. Only have a few from random vintages. The only Howell Mountain I've actually tasted was from '02 and that was about 5 years ago. Great juice. I'm sure that '12 was nice.

I would say that it's good time to open the '07s. The '12 was great.
BSD
AG
Is anyone in Houston in need of a brand new black Wine Check? Will let it go for $50. Tags are still on it.
Objective Aggie
AG
Drove the central California coast this weekend.

Hit Santa Barbara but that was more beach and downtown than wine although we did hit Jamie Sloane's tasting room.

Paso Robles was a great stop. Beautiful town. Much more casual than I expected.

Eberle was a good stop. I didn't find their wines incredible. But very nice grounds. A cool cave tour. And a nice staff.

Le Cuvier was a very unique and welcome experience. They have some very hands off approach (borderline hippie) to making wine but in this days and age where California wines feel so manipulated I really appreciate their philosophy.

We did the food pairing with the entree and it was really a great experience. The presentation was stellar. The food quite good. And I really like their wine. In fact the white blend we had actually drank more like a red in terms of complexity.

The Syrah and all the reds were really good.

I had never joined a wine club but it knocked $100 of the meal and I was going to buy bottles anyway so why not.

I heard Daou is a beautiful venue. But overall Paso Robles seemed to be just off the beaten path and a great welcoming vibe.

Objective Aggie
AG
Our Santa Barbara selection. Solid cab.
bularry
Santa Barbara wine country is SB County, which is essentially the SYV. You drove through it if you went from SB to Paso, so past 100's of tasting rooms most likely.
HTownAg98
I wish I'd known you were going to Paso. I could have recommended a dozen places that you would have liked more than Eberle. Their wines are fine, but there's a lot of better places.
cecil77
AG

Best of Texas and Best of Virginia.

Fun comparison. All very high quality wines. The RDV (Va) is a bit young and needed air. Straight up old school left bank - 60% Cab, 38 % CF, 2% Merlot. Fairly predominate oak in the mid palate. But with air the fruit began to emerge a bit.

Is it worth $250? Perhaps not, but when Phelps Insignia is $325, maybe so.
BSD
AG
A couple 2018 Rivers Marie wines at dinner. I love the B Theriot so had a glass of it and a few tastes of the cab, which was really good…but my interests were in the chard.

QBCade
AG
Happy Friday

QBCade
AG
BSD said:

A couple 2018 Rivers Marie wines at dinner. I love the B Theriot so had a glass of it and a few tastes of the cab, which was really good…but my interests were in the chard.

How is their Cab. I've seen several up for bid, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Objective Aggie
AG
bularry said:

Santa Barbara wine country is SB County, which is essentially the SYV. You drove through it if you went from SB to Paso, so past 100's of tasting rooms most likely.
I will likely go back so let me know your thoughts
First Page Last Page
Page 275 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.