Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,309 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by bularry
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm jealous of all of you buttholes at this point. My wife quit drinking and I cancelled all of our wine clubs in the past month because I simply can't justify the expense anymore....just for me.

Kept a local "potluck" wine club I get from my favorite wine bar and that's it.
MooreTrucker
AG
YouBet said:

I'm jealous of all of you buttholes at this point. My wife quit drinking and I cancelled all of our wine clubs in the past month because I simply can't justify the expense anymore....just for me.

Kept a local "potluck" wine club I get from my favorite wine bar and that's it.
We don't even have a local wine bar anymore so I'm jealous of you.
BSD
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Damn wife

Yeah. That was meant to be a thumbs up. Just now saw the error.
htxag09
AG
Champagne and fried chicken for dinner tonight to celebrate 1 week with the new family addition
bularry
that's a fine wine. the iodine/smoke on those wines is pretty darn interesting
bularry
BSD said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Damn wife

Yeah. That was meant to be a thumbs up. Just now saw the error.
hey, I opened my '04 Pontet Canet the other day. Really, really nice wine.
paperback
cecil77 said:

What do you recommend?

Here's ours: Our Cellar
I don't have a wine cellar but commend you for having one.
paperback
htxag09 said:

Champagne and fried chicken for dinner tonight to celebrate 1 week with the new family addition
Congratulations to you and your family!
752bro4
AG
Last bottle wine marathon for the next 48 hours. Seems like they're updating about every 3-4 minutes.

Referral code for $10 off for you, $30 credit for me
MooreTrucker
AG
I was a bit disappointed to learn that Grape Creek is mostly wine from California now rather than Texas wine. They have two wine clubs, the Estate (Texas grown) and Heath (Cali grown, produced in Tx).

We kept our wine club because they're going to members only for the patio/restaurant, but switched to twice a year shipments.
Squirrel Master
AG
Only recently discovered this thread... didn't read it all, but skimmed through different periods and seems like there is a lot of good discussion here.

Some of the stuff we're enjoying of late that I haven't seen talked about here:
Napa: Tamber Bey and Patland
North Texas: Eden Hill

We've never made it down to the Hill Country to try out any of those places, but it's on our list of places to go sometime.

We've done a lot of "exploratory drinking" via Total Wine and Last Bottle that have been fun. Mostly reds, as getting the wife interested in opening a bottle of white is met with the same enthusiasm and frequency as a trip to the dentist... begrudgingly and twice/year. All over the spectrum of types of reds we'll try.
mek94
AG
We love Tamber Bey. Had a 2012 Rabicano the other night which was really drinking well.
Squirrel Master
AG
Nice. The Rabicano is great, and I think I've only had younger vintages than a '12. We've really enjoyed basically their entire portfolio of reds. We have a 2008 Cab of theirs that we'll be enjoying these holidays that I'm excited about.
HTownAg98
Welcome to the island of misfit toys. Ask any questions about wine you like. There's lots of people here willing to answer questions.
HTownAg98
Went to the wine store today, and someone handed this to me and said to finish the bottle. Merry Christmas to me.
Squirrel Master
AG
Somehow I never have experiences like this at the store...

Completely separate topic: Do you guys have a good rule of thumb for how long to age different types of wines? Is there a good source yall use? I suspect I drink a lot of stuff before its peak age.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Depends on the wine, producer, varietal, etc.. Wine Folly has a nice generic chart for red wine ages to drink. It's definitely a ball park though, as different quality level wines are intended for different drinking time frames.

The vast majority of wine is intended to drink within a "few" years, and a lot don't even have the ability to age well.
752bro4
AG
HTownAg98
Squirrel Master said:

I was there again today, and was sent home with a glass of this...

I have very generous friends. And I am very grateful for their sharing.
BSD
AG
We have some Morlet chards that we buy every year. I don't drink a lot of whites but when I do, I want it to be damn good and these are some of my favorites.
BSD
AG
It's half bottle night for a delayed Christmas dinner...

HTownAg98
This was a cab.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Joined the fam today after 10 day isolation with Covid. Had Christmas dinner tonight with a wine that was the perfect fit.

Tumble Weed
BSD said:

Glad to see your taste in vino is improving. The Leoville is a nice choice. Serve the Napa swill after everyone has had a glass and can't tell the difference! Happy NYE to all of you! A toast to fat wallets and thin wives!
HTownAg98

An Oregon sparkling and some farmer fizz to burn 2020 and salt the ground beneath it.
JMC04
AG
Happy New Year!! Hope everyone is having a safe night.

I'm really enjoying this Champagne, it has a classic profile, but is light on the yeast/bread notes. I prefer my Champagne this way.

For the Houston folks, I ordered this from Rob May's "Killer Vino" wine business he runs out of his house. Rob works with boutique distributors and has access to fantastic wines. During non-Covid times he had wonderful taste and buy events at his house. These days he's selling via newsletter, if you are interested DM me.

Oh, and Rob can work with his network to source any hard to find wines as well.
A New Hope
BSD said:

Love hobels half bottles.
Daytona22
AG
Epic tasting on Christmas Eve. Celebrating with family. Doubt I'll taste this juice again but a cool experience.
htxag09
AG
Great wine pairing dinner for NYE!

BSD
AG
Just one bottle for NYE.

cecil77
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Completely separate topic: Do you guys have a good rule of thumb for how long to age different types of wines? Is there a good source yall use? I suspect I drink a lot of stuff before its peak age.

Very few wines (relative to the total market) actually improve with age. Virtually all modern wine (excepting box wine and the like) will last 5-8 years with no issues, but won't improve. Cork quality is the primary factor for these wines and cork quality drops off rapidly with price point. Notice which wines have aglomerated ("aglo") corks, they are made from fused cork bits as opposed to a whole cork.

Most wines that improve with age have a level of tannins and structure that soften and meld with time. Think of 3 day old chili - it's usually better even though it's hard to pinpoint why - similar with aged wine.

Napa style cabs (later harvest, lower anti-oxidants) are ready sooner. Historically Bordeaux took many years as they tended to harvest earlier and had much higher tannins. However via micro-ox and other technologies most Bordeaux doesn't take as long any more.

The answer to your question depends upon your taste preferences. I will say that once I tasted a really good Bordeaux style wine that had aged 20+ years I became hooked - but many prefer the fruit forward, younger Napa style.

Really, even if you know what you like, aging is a crapshoot. Even the producers recommendations are just guesses - informed and experienced guesses, but guesses just the same.

The best part is experimenting yourself. I will say that at 66, buying a wine the will peak in 20 years is different than it used to be.
Squirrel Master
AG
Thanks for the great response. The question stemmed from buying a couple of Napa cabs from last bottle where the description specifically mentioned holding them and that they would drink better in a few years, making me wonder if I've been drinking my wines sooner than I should generally. Sounds like the answer is probably not, though there will be some that drink better with time.
Austintm
Squirrel Master said:

Thanks for the great response. The question stemmed from buying a couple of Napa cabs from last bottle where the description specifically mentioned holding them and that they would drink better in a few years, making me wonder if I've been drinking my wines sooner than I should generally. Sounds like the answer is probably not, though there will be some that drink better with time.
The guide Cecil gives is a good overview. I will say that "Napa-style" describes the sweeter fruit-forward style that is typical of many, many cabs made in Napa. Keep in mind there are a lot of Napa cabs that don't fit that flavor profile, aren't sweet, won't hit you in the face with fruit and will age gracefully for many years. A lot of it is smaller production than what you can find at most stores, but it's there.
On decanting: other than cheap wine, almost any cab can benefit from decanting. Younger wines are tight and will take longer to open. For example, the note my recent 2017 MacDonald shipment recommended an 8-hour double decant if you wanted to drink it now (I haven't).
BSD
AG
Austintm said:

On decanting: other than cheap wine, almost any cab can benefit from decanting. Younger wines are tight and will take longer to open. For example, the note my recent 2017 MacDonald shipment recommended an 8-hour double decant if you wanted to drink it now (I haven't).

I still haven't even opened my 2010 MacDonalds!
JCA1
AG
Austintm said:

Squirrel Master said:

The guide Cecil gives is a good overview. I will say that "Napa-style" describes the sweeter fruit-forward style that is typical of many, many cabs made in Napa. Keep in mind there are a lot of Napa cabs that don't fit that flavor profile, aren't sweet, won't hit you in the face with fruit and will age gracefully for many years. A lot of it is smaller production than what you can find at most stores, but it's there.

Now THAT'S how you humblebrag my friends.
First Page Last Page
Page 224 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.