Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,291,427 Views | 10567 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by BSD
klietzau
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We tasted with Rebecca when we were out there in March through a recommendation from Ilsley and Redmon. They have a little group of ladies that all run together and all their wines are pretty good. Next time you're out there check out Ilsley, Redmon and Rarecat.
wtmartinaggie
AG
Sharon with Rarecat is one of my favorite people out here. Her concept and wines are awesome.
wtmartinaggie
AG
I'm actually going fishing in her pond below the barn where they do tastings with a few buddies this afternoon...

Next time you're out, let me know and we will have to all get together and bbq or something.
MooreTrucker
AG
Landed at Texas Reds and Whites tasting room. After avoiding all wines that I've had before, I ended up with a good tasting and a bottle of Bent Oak temp.
A New Hope
Just bought a few 2016 Sassicaia. Been wanting to splurge on something for awhile and pulled the trigger. Now I just have to wait 20 years to drink them.
cecil77
AG
Had a nice time with Zach and David at 12 Fires Winery and Vineyard. All three are former Red Pots (class of '96 and '97) I think. They're just getting started (two acres planted, Tiny Tasting room done really cool in a small trailer) using High Plains Grapes for now. Keep an eye on them, real up and comers.

I asked them to peek in on this thread, hopefully they'll stop by to say hi...
BigAg95
AG
My local shop has a half case for sale. I am very tempted!
Stew
AG
So glad to see this. Zach is a buddy of mine (also class of 97) but had no idea he was doing this. Looking forward to a trip to their place.
BSD
AG
Just left dinner with friends...tonight's wines were:

2015 Pott 20m3 Viognier
2004 Il Poggione Brunello Riserva
2009 Pine Ridge cab (didnt catch the specific vineyard/wine)
2012 Fait Main Las Piedras Vineyard cab

I had tastes of each, including a full glass of the Fait Main. Let's just say I wish I could drink a lot more than what I'm allowed!
bularry
Fedup said:

Just bought a few 2016 Sassicaia. Been wanting to splurge on something for awhile and pulled the trigger. Now I just have to wait 20 years to drink them.
you don't have to wait that long for those.
cecil77
AG
So I guess we just need to drink more wine...

Elmo Lincoln
AG
BSD said:

Just left dinner with friends...tonight's wines were:

2015 Pott 20m3 Viognier
2004 Il Poggione Brunello Riserva
2009 Pine Ridge cab (didnt catch the specific vineyard/wine)
2012 Fait Main Las Piedras Vineyard cab

I had tastes of each, including a full glass of the Fait Main. Let's just say I wish I could drink a lot more than what I'm allowed!

What was your opinion of the Pine Ridge cab?
munch96
AG
It's worth a trip. When I was there, there was an issue with the a/c in the mobile tasting room (it's fixed now). Didn't stop me from enjoying the wine

They have an Albarino on the way that I can't wait to try.
cecil77
AG
Probably about 65 in there Saturday!
BigAg95
AG
Just picked up 6 bottles of 2015 Paolo Scavino Barolos (2 of the normale, 2 Bricco Ambrogio, 2 Prapo). Cannubi was sold out. I will pop and pour one of the normales in 2020. The rest are going to sleep for the next 8-16 years!
cecil77
AG
BigAg95 said:

The rest are going to sleep for the next 8-16 years!

I'm getting to the age that I hope it's not me going to sleep in the next 8-16 years...
BigAg95
AG
cecil77 said:

BigAg95 said:

The rest are going to sleep for the next 8-16 years!

I'm getting to the age that I hope it's not me going to sleep in the next 8-16 years...
I figure I have another 10 years of new Barolo buying left in me. I will probably need to stop at that point!
BSD
AG
Anyone know of a good group in Houston to build me a wine closet? It's a small space (5'x6') but it's attached to my bar area and I think it would make sense. I've heard horror stories so I want someone with lots of experience in a hot environment.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

Anyone know of a good group in Houston to build me a wine closet? It's a small space (5'x6') but it's attached to my bar area and I think it would make sense. I've heard horror stories so I want someone with lots of experience in a hot environment.
Just bring them over and I'll store them here.

You can trust me.

Really.
BSD
AG
Hmmm. I don't know about this. It reminds of me of the time the stripper said she was really into guys like me and then left when I ran out of cash. I'm just not getting an all-in vibe.

But if you want to drink some Yquem someday, I'll pop a cork.
BigAg95
AG
Opened a Mark Herold 2014 mourvedre tonight. Good stuff! Tobacco, black pepper, and loads of fruit!
htxag09
AG
Isn't the italics wine maker an ag and on here? I'm planning on popping in for their tasting at houston wine merchant.

Italics Tasting at Houston Wine Merchant

Quote:

Italics Wines
Friday July 26th

5:30 - 7:30 PM
Ken Martin had his humble beginnings as a 20 acre grapefruit farmer in the south of Texas. When he eventually sold his company, he was one of the largest produce distributors in Texas and owned over 7,000 acres of farmland. He and his family had visited Napa Valley numerous times over the years. Not being able to give up farming altogether, he decided he wanted to make wine for a living. In 2014, Ken and his son, Mark, bought a winery in Coombsville and brought on Sean Reynolds (of Reynolds Family Wines) to make the wines. Join us this evening as we taste through the winery's lineup!

Wines being tasted:
2015 Italics Proprietary White Blend
2015 Italics Proprietary Red Blend
2014 Italics Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Coombsville
2014 Italics '16 Appellations' Red Blend
cecil77
AG
Taylor's handle is wtmartinaggie.
JCA1
AG
Opened up a 2014 16 appellations about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was quite nice.
HTownAg98
BigAg95 said:

Opened a Mark Herold 2014 mourvedre tonight. Good stuff! Tobacco, black pepper, and loads of fruit!

His wines are not shy.
HTownAg98

Had a 2011 Wallis Family Estate "Little Sister" Diamond Mountain Cabernet (99% Cabernet, 1% Petit Verdot). A Thomas Rivers Brown wine. Bright acidity and fine but pronounced tannin. A really good fatty steak wine, as the fat helps tame the tannin and let the fruit come through. I'd buy again.
Austintm
HTownAg98 said:

BigAg95 said:

His wines are not shy.
I mentioned earlier they are nice. Brown labels ($100) is good. White Label ($200) is great. The wines he makes for The Vineyardist (small production Diamond Mountain, allocation only) are amazing.
BigAg95
AG
Austintm said:

HTownAg98 said:

BigAg95 said:

His wines are not shy.
I mentioned earlier they are nice. Brown labels ($100) is good. White Label ($200) is great. The wines he makes for The Vineyardist (small production Diamond Mountain, allocation only) are amazing.

This one was from his Flux line. $17. All the flux wines I've tried punch way above their weight class, highly recommended if you are into Cali GSMs.
BigAg95
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Had a 2011 Wallis Family Estate "Little Sister" Diamond Mountain Cabernet (99% Cabernet, 1% Petit Verdot). A Thomas Rivers Brown wine. Bright acidity and fine but pronounced tannin. A really good fatty steak wine, as the fat helps tame the tannin and let the fruit come through. I'd buy again.

I've liked all the TRB wines I've had.

We opened the Myriad 2016 Halcon tonight. Decanted for 3 hours and it was really singing around hour 4. Very nice.
htxag09
AG
Anyone on here have experience visiting vineyards in Australia?

Wife just got told she'll be in Sydney for work in late August. I'll be joining at the end of her work trip. Fly in and out of Sydney and will be there for 11 days. We'd like to take a 3 or so day trip to a wine region. Any suggestions on where, trip/tour companies, specific vineyards if we set up ourselves?
Austintm
htxag09 said:

Anyone on here have experience visiting vineyards in Australia?

Wife just got told she'll be in Sydney for work in late August. I'll be joining at the end of her work trip. Fly in and out of Sidney and will be there for 11 days. We'd like to take a 3 or so day trip to a wine region. Any suggestions on where, trip/tour companies, specific vineyards if we set up ourselves?

htxag09
AG
So I think I've limited to a few options:
  • South Australia: spend a few days in Adelaide and do Clare valley and Barossa Valley
  • Victoria: Spend a few days in Melbourne and do Yarra valley and Mornington
  • Final option would be staying around Sydney and checking out New South Wales; Hunter Valley
Any opinions?
FarmerJohn
AG
The only thing I know about Australian wine is that the Margaret river is a beautiful region and a really long plane ride from anywhere.
cecil77
AG
Any suggestions for an anniversary suitable restaurant in Healdsburg?

Thanks!
wtmartinaggie
AG
Everyone in the office is in agreement that Single Thread is the place to go with Dry Creek Kitchen in second... I haven't personally been to either, but that's the local word!

-Taylor @ Italics
First Page Last Page
Page 187 of 302

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.