Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,860 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We did book everything and all our communication was through Renee.
cecil77
AG
quote:
We need more wine marketers like this:

Australia Wine Ad

That's greatness!
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
We need more wine marketers like this:

Australia Wine Ad

That's greatness!

I approve this message.
BSD
AG
haha. good stuff.
bularry
cecil with the spottswoode and cardinale purchases!! those price points are well above what you usually say you spend!! why am I using exclamation points?

anyway, looks like I'm gonna plan a Feb Napa trip for the wife's B-day. nothing extravagant, but going to actually stay in Napa which will be a first for us.

bularry
quote:
Looking at northern Sonoma (staying in Windsor most likely) in March or April. Any recs in that area? I'm sure we'll make a day trip over to Napa, but I'm really looking for good wineries in the northern Sonoma county and/or the Russian River Valley.
Love that area. Off the top of my head I would recommend getting an appointment at Rochiolli. Also Copain does a nice tasting and I have heard good things about Porter Creek. I have never been to Porter Creek but have tried a couple of their wines and they were very good. Did a long appointment tasting at Papapeitro Perry and enjoyed that quite a bit. wines aren't cheap but I enjoy them.

I also always hype a place called Medlock Ames. check out their tasting room and adjacent cocktail bar on the web. fun place to visit, IMO, and I enjoy their wines.

Lots of other places, too, just depends on your wine preferences and what you are looking for in tastings

for dining, if you like the "off the beaten path" kinda experience, drive out to Guerneville and eat at Boon Eat+Drink. we went for lunch on our last trip and food was great and a nice wine list almost exclusively wines of the area.

you can go old school at Willi's Wine Bar, which is along 101 between Windsor and Santa Rosa.

also lots of good places in healdsburg, obviously, right up the road.
cecil77
AG
quote:
cecil with the spottswoode and cardinale purchases!! those price points are well above what you usually say you spend!! why am I using exclamation points?
I wish. The Cardinale was three bottles of the Mt. Brave cab. Quite frankly I didn't find the Cardinale anywhere near worth what they're charging for it.

Spottswoode was one of their cab and 5 of the Lyndenhurst Cab. Opened a bottle last night and it was quite good!

Graduate three kids from college in the spring. Two at Ivys. More wine after that!

Storybook got here today.
cecil77
AG
Just learning about "flash release" or "flash extraction". Bending Branch here in Comort, Texas has one of the machines. Is this a legit process or just some flash-in-the-pan new process?
HTownAg98
Sounds legit, and would be perfect for Texas grapes. Since the skins are ripe, you want more of those tannins, and less of the seed tannins, which aren't ripe.
BSD
AG
quote:

Graduate three kids from college in the spring.
Instant pay raise!
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Sharing is caring...
BSD
AG
quote:
Looking at northern Sonoma (staying in Windsor most likely) in March or April. Any recs in that area? I'm sure we'll make a day trip over to Napa, but I'm really looking for good wineries in the northern Sonoma county and/or the Russian River Valley.
West Dry Creek Rd is always fun.

Try the Farmhouse Inn for dinner. I've always wanted to go there.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
West Dry Creek Rd is always fun.

Try the Farmhouse Inn for dinner. I've always wanted to go there.

Ridge
Siduri
Benovia
Arista
Martinelli
Papapietro Perry
Carol Shelton
Moshin
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
for dining, if you like the "off the beaten path" kinda experience, drive out to Guerneville and eat at Boon Eat+Drink. we went for lunch on our last trip and food was great and a nice wine list almost exclusively wines of the area.
We stayed just outside of Guerneville this past May. Boon's probably the best restaurant in the area and I would also recommend if you find yourself in that area. But it's not a destination. Neither the restaurant nor the Guerneville area itself. At least not to the extent that Healdsburg is.
bularry
yeah, that area was pretty disappointing. not much to see, but it is a nice drive out there, IMO which is why I'd probably recommend lunch then take 116 to more winery tasting room options.

aggiejumper
AG
We were out there in August. I've got to get my fix of Napa every 6 months or so. It helps recharge by body by being out there relaxing.

On a side note I am planning a few days in Epernay with a day trip up to Reims for our honeymoon. I figure I'll hit one or two big champagne houses and maybe a few smaller growers while out there. Any recommendations or must sees? I'm planning on staying on the Avenue De Champagne; there is supposed to be boutique champagne bars all over the place.
cheeky
AG
Kongsgaard, Realm, Heitz and Sarocka arrived today.
cecil77
AG
Quivet for me.
BSD
AG
quote:

Which Kongsgaard did you get? I bought a 375ml of the Judge Chardonnay at a restaurant once and it was delicious.

Also, I didn't get Realm today but received Quivet and Carter.
aggiejumper
AG
Realm came in last week for me. Quivet and Schramsberg today. My favorite time of the year.
cecil77
AG
And Schramsberg last week for me. Interesting how all this gets out around the country.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Got my Quivet yesterday, question is how long can I hold off from opening one...
cecil77
AG
Last night I couldn't resist and opened a Napa Valley Cab.

After one sip I was very impressed. Then I put on my glasses and looked at the label. It was one of the Kenefick Ranch. So we decanted it for an hour and finished it off!
BSD
AG
We still have some 07 and 08 Kenefick cabs so my patience will be rewarded.
cheeky
AG
so our new cellar is considerably more adequate than the last, and I'm looking to selectively add 2010 or older Napa cabs, or anything potentially more interesting, from anyone looking to thin the herd. Post up or PM!
BSD
AG
You're about 2.5 years too late for my stash!
bularry
quote:
where do you live? My Sarocka is on weather hold.

I got all my Delille stuff last week. Nothing else so far [sad banana]
cecil77
AG
Clos Pegase today
BSD
AG
Did anyone buy Ancillary today? If you did and are passing on the whole cluster pinot, I'd be interested in your bottles. Thanks for reading.
cecil77
AG
. But I took the two I was allowed.
aggiejumper
AG
I bought mine too. BSD, is it as good as advertised?
BSD
AG
I have no idea. His whole cluster syrahs have been good and I don't even like Syrah! I wanted to sacrifice one at a young age and then cellar the rest. I got two so no biggie if I can't land more.
BSD
AG
Picked up two '09s to age for my son (up to a case of nice 2009 wine for him now) and an '07 ager for me and the misses.

JMC04
AG
Has anyone every tried Proper Wines from WA? Their syrah has good reviews on cellar tracker, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

They offer a 3-pack which is perfect
bularry
quote:
Has anyone every tried Proper Wines from WA? Their syrah has good reviews on cellar tracker, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

They offer a 3-pack which is perfect
I drink quite a bit of Washington wines but not familiar with these guys, sorry. you just looking for some syrah's to acquire and try?
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.