Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,276,925 Views | 10508 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by QBCade
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
BSD, I'll be loading up on the Rivers Marie also. Love the wines and 2013 seems to be the year to load up. I'm a bit hesitant on the Lore being it's new but here is Parker's review.

As told by the source, "don't be hesitant. at all." Think Maybach, but with TRB having complete control of the entire process.
BSD
AG
quote:
Sitting in Mumbai. (Wow. Nice business folks but,...) Who knew there was Indian wine? (That's rhetorical, BSD.) Fairly blah and tasteless. Plus, other stuff from elsewhere (Cote du Rhone) isn't at temp. I'm ready to get home!
Mumbai? very cool...with or without wine! enjoy!
TP Ag '87
AG
I don't believe one "enjoys" Mumbai,...
BSD
AG
well i hope you come away enlightened in cultural sense.
TP Ag '87
AG
Well, that's the POSITIVE way to spin it. That, plus 19k miles.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
That's an awesome wine. Hope yall enjoyed it! That was a super fun wine to make.

Definitely enjoyed it, thanks!
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Mumbai? very cool...
Or quite the opposite.

Sorry, dumb joke. Couldn't resist.
BSD
AG
I just ordered some Rivers Marie. apparently everyone did because the website is slow as hell. Be sure to max out the Calistoga allocation (only 2 bottles per person), as I hear it is very special right now.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, I'll be loading up on the Rivers Marie also. Love the wines and 2013 seems to be the year to load up. I'm a bit hesitant on the Lore being it's new but here is Parker's review.

eRobertParker dotcom #215
Oct 2014 Robert M. Parker, Jr. (94-97) Drink: 2017 - 2037
The estate's newest offering, the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Lore Vineyard comes from a steep, rocky site in the eastern hills of Oakville, looking down on the Rudd Winery. A massive wine, it is the biggest, densest and most masculine of these offerings. Broodingly backward, almost primordial, it exhibits lots of earthy minerality as well as blackberry, cassis, scorched earth and charcoal ember notes, and a style reminiscent of a massive vintage of La Mission Haut-Brion. The tannins suggest it should be cellared for 3-4 years and consumed over the following two decades. Not yet released.
Did you see the scores on the others? Just curious. After much internal debate, I only bought the Calistoga and Lore, and the Chards of course. My situation didn't really merit buying a boat load of wine. I already have that at home and I'm not doing much with it.
aggiejumper
AG
I maxed out the Calistoga also. Also picked up one of each of the Chard's, 3 regular cabs, and 2 of the Lore.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Any word on the regular RM Sonoma Coast pinot offering? Usually a no-brainer of a buy.
BSD
AG
That'll be in about 6 months as part of the winter release.
aggiejumper
AG
Pinot is released in January for RM. This was the SVD Chard and all of his Cabs.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
BSD,

I'm able to get 3 Lore and 2 Calistoga, should I pass on the Marie Panek (6) and the regular Napa (4)?

A2
BSD
AG
I think the regular Napa is a good value. The only reason that I didn't buy it is that I bought my wife a bunch of Myriad. I typically wont drink a regular Napa bottle these days. Go big or go home for me!
cecil77
AG
Your wife is spoiled.
BSD
AG
Don't I know! Here's a conversation that we go thru every year:

BSD: Hey babe, do you want to go to the Rockets game?
The Misses: Do we have the floor seats or the suite?
BSD: Just regular club seats. (keep in mind these are about 8 rows up)
The Misses: Nah, I'll just stay home.
cecil77
AG
Little bit of a celebration for some good business news last night.

2012 Myriad Napa Cab
2009 Mirror Cab

Both were outstanding, the Mirror may have been a bit better, but it was the second bottle, so maybe we were just in a better mood by then!
BSD
AG
Congrats on the good news. My wife opened a 2010 Myriad cab last night so I snuck a few sips in.
Matsui
AG
What is the consensus on the top 3 wineries in Texas top to bottom varietals?
HTownAg98
William Chris, Inwood, and Kuhlman would be my top three, with Compass Rose and Lewis being just outside the top three.
cecil77
AG
Hard to argue with that.

I put Inwood a ways ahead of the others though.

In five years Kuhlman may be up there.

Gotta throw in Bending Branch as well.
bularry
I passed on my Rivers Marie offer that a friend passed to me. Gonna have to spend my few current wine dollars on the La Parrain from Betz (along with the '13 Rhone releases). only second time they've released this wine. should be pretty special. Also just got the Kesner and Domaine de la Cote offerings.
cecil77
AG
Here's our line up as of now.

Only have one scheduled for Sunday and also need another in Sonoma.

Let me know if there's any clinkers, still time to adjust!

Larkmead
Ehlers
Burgess
Boswell
Cardinale
Inglenook
Clos Pegase
Schramsburg
Ridge
Spottswoode
Storybook
HTownAg98
That's looks like one hell of a trip to me! I'll be interested in your opinion of Burgess, Ridge, and Schraumsberg.
bularry
Iron Horse is a pretty cool Sonoma place to visit. I would go there instead of Schramsburg for bubbly, but that may not fit your schedule.

since you like cabs, have you looked at Lancaster, Stonestreet or Stuhlmuller for Alexander valley visits (near Napa but in Sonoma)?
cecil77
AG
Thanks. I'll look at those. Part of what I'm doing is following up on Napa Valley vino history I've studied. Schramsberg is pretty significant historically, so that's the reasoning.
BSD
AG
We like Schramsberg. My wife always has some on hand for guests that want a sparkler.
West Texan
AG
I know nothing about wine but I saw a bottle of Dom Perignon on the shelf at Market Street in Abilene. Not something you see everyday out this way.
BPCAg05
AG
I've been to both Iron Hotse and Scramsberg and liked both but would recommend Scramsberg for the wine and history. It also seems to be a better fit from a location stand point for your trip.
HTownAg98
Drank a 2009 Domaine Serene Oregon Pinot, and a 2012 J Pinotage tonight. Needing to make room for about a case coming in September.
bularry
How was the '09? still a bit young or hitting its stride? the Oregon stuff I've read seems to indicate the '09's should be getting ready in the next year or so.
HTownAg98
It's a bit young right now, but pretty good, and you won't go wrong with drinking one now if you want to gIve it a try. I had that, and a 2010 Yamhill Cuvee, and could not remember which one I was supposed to drink first. I think I picked the wrong one.
HTownAg98
Drinking a 2010 Caravan (2nd lBel of Darioush) right now. Still pretty acidic with some aggressive tannins still, but lots of dark fruits coming through. Will try it again in about 9 months. Given that I paid $27/bottle, I'm not going to ng to sweat it if it sits in the cellar too long.
aggiejumper
AG
Cecil, I'm heading out to Napa next week for a few days

The lineup includes:
Schramsburg (Club Tasting, not the tour)
Schweiger (Adjacent to Pride)
Stony Hill
Bevan (Tasting is at Boswell)
Burgess
Hall St Helena (Another Club tasting)
Mumm
Lunch at Auburge Du Soleil, my favorite restaurant, haven't been to French Laundry yet.

I want to hear about your thoughts after your trip, particularly on Larkmead, Cardinale, and Ridge. I'll post a trip summary when I return also.

As for Caravan, I'm not a big fan of it. I've yet to have a truly balanced bottle but still not bad for the price.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.