Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,284,080 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
Echoes97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lucio's is pretty small, Underbelly on the other hand, Chris is a pretty cool dude so could probably even work out a deal for a group.

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
TP Ag '87
AG
Friends (who aren't wine drinkers) received a bottle of 2001 Far Niente for Christmas. They, thankfully, thought of us to share/partake.

We met them at Jonathan's The Rub here in Houston on Saturday (I started a BYOB thread over on the Houston board).

The wine was excellent. Worth ~$300 that I've seen it valued? Mmmm, I dunno. That would be a tough call as I can think of others that are at least just as good, at least to me, for quite a bit less.

Just sharing,...
BSD
AG
That is cool, TP. I always enjoy a 10+ yr old bottle and seeing how a wine changes (or how I perceive it has changed).

You were so close to my house that you should have called to drink more! I was really needing a glass this week. Jonathan's is building a new spot at I-10 and Bunker Hill...next to the Shipley's there. The design looks nice.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, BSD. We actually ran into some other friends who live in the area who invited us over after dinner. I'd been up since 5am and was wiped out. Believe me, it's the RARE occasion when I pass on the opportunity to go drink my buddy's wine.
HTownAg98
We got half a case of Benovia La Pommeraie Pinot Noir 2010 shipped to the store by accident, when we were supposed to get the RRV PN. The supplier said to keep it, and charged us the same price. After my employee discount, I took home a $60 wine for $25. Score.
cecil77
AG
Yes. But did you bring enough to share?
HTownAg98
I have three at home now, and know where I can get four more.
bularry
I think I've mentioned on here before I am a Benovia fan. I have that same bottle at the house, along with the Bella Una (not sure if 2010 or 2011). Also have a 2010 Savoy.

Glad your shop carries their stuff.

reload85
Has anybody been to the Wine Spectator's grand tour Tasting? Is it worth it?
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Going to a Spanish and its territories wine lunch on Friday. Question to the group, what is your favorite spanish wine? It always seems to me, that the wines take quite some time to open up.
bularry
I have limited experience with spanish wines, so I'm not much help. I have really enjoyed a few that use primarily Grenache, so they haven't been as big/tannic on the palate as some of the more bold Spanish reds.
HTownAg98
Termes Numanthia, the second label to Numanthia, and Alto Moncayo Veraton, the baby brother of Alto Moncayo, are two of my favorites. They are both around $25-$30. I like the big bother of both these wines too, but it's $150 just to get in the gate.
bularry
ha! The Alto Moncayo Grenacha was a wine I loved. Didn't remember the producer and just google imaged the name from the previous post. It was around $39 retail and was really good. I think Spec's midtown (Houston) carries it sometimes although they didn't have it last time I was in there. They did have the veraton which is just under $30 I believe.
cecil77
AG
Most Spanish wines I've tried have been tempranillos from Rioja. Most of them are pretty much "meh..." to me.

However some of the wines from Priorat have been pretty good.

I just got some from Bierzo made from Mencia grapes. It's a pretty dang good value.
reload85
There are some great wines from Spain . The 2005 Valsacro Rioja can be had for $20 to 25.00 around here and it is a great wine for the money. I also enjoy the wines from Ribera de Douro of Emilio Moro and Alejandro Fernandez.
AlexSAWineguy
AG

The Alto Moncayo, as well as the Bodegas El Nido, and Clio are all made by Chris Ringland. I found a 2000 Pingus for today's lunch, hope it's ready.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
Here was the line up we had, took out the Pingus after seeing what everyone else brought, and added the Flor de Pingus.

Vintage Wine
03 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero
07 Bodegas y Viñedos Alnardo Ribera del Duero Psi
09 Bodegas Alto Moncayo Campo de Borja
11 Bodegas Alto Moncayo Campo de Borja Veraton
09 Dominio Pingus Ribera del Duero Flor de Pingus
10 Bodegas El Nido Jumilla Clio
10 Epoch Estate Wines Tempranillo Paderewski Vineyard
N.V. Emilio Lustau (Almacenista) Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Amontillado del Puerto Jose Luis González Obregón
05 Resalte Ribera del Duero Crianza
01 Rotllan Torra Priorat Tirant
reload85
How did the Alion fare in the tasting?
AlexSAWineguy
AG
It did very well, old world all the way. Honestly they were all good, with the PSI being my least favorite.
reload85
Alex, have you ever tried the Valsacro ?
AlexSAWineguy
AG
I have not, but I have seen it somewhere. Rioja right? Under $20?
reload85
Correct. Not a pure Tempranillo Roija. I think it has around 30% granache .
reload85
What wines are people excited to collect and try this year.? I am looking forward to the 2012 Pinots form Oregon.
HTownAg98
They are a ways off, but 2013 in California should be outstanding.
BSD
AG
2012 Cali was great, too, both in quality and quantity.
cecil77
AG
BSD
AG
Cecil, that is about how our old Napa visit notes looked! We eventually just gave up.
BSD
AG
Last night was a special occasion, so I had a glass of wine. We met up with some good friends at a restaurant in SF and opened a bottle of 2007 Maybach cab. The first taste was mind blowing! Huge depth, lots of layers and a finish that wouldn't quit. It's easily one of the best Napa cabs out there and I'm very thankful that I had the pleasure of enjoying it. It was a wonderful evening.
notheranymore
Oh BSD, that sounds delish!

My husband and I want to celebrate a milestone we've worked hard to achieve and plan on doing it with a 2008 Opus One. Any ideas about how to procure that?
rononeill
Unless there's a sentimental driver for Opus, you can do way better with $200 on a bottle. Now, I can't point you to one specifically, but the red haired guy at the specs in West University could for sure.
rononeill
As my dad put it "he's too good for that store".
cecil77
AG
And a 2008 Opus is way too young anyway!

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 2/13/2014 1:34p).]
BSD
AG
Auction sites may be your best bet for that Opus. Most online retailers that have it won't ship to Texas.
bularry
BSD,

Best Wines online is selling a couple of your favorite Napa reds, the Hobel and the Wallis made by your buddy Mr Brown.

And they do ship to Texas.
BSD
AG
Oooohhhh. I'm tempted, but full. I'm hoping to barrel sample some of his wines Saturday afternoon, though.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.