Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,944 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by bularry
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TP- if you're on spring mountain, check out fisher- can't recommend it enough. Pride, IMHO was a bit over rated and pretty expensive.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, Ron. I'll check it out. Where is it exactly? Can't find the Spring Mountain address or anywhere on maps.
rononeill
http://www.fishervineyards.com

basically, as you exit pride, take a right and its 10 minutes or so down the road. another great one up there is Schweiger

http://www.schweigervineyards.com

we visited both on recommendations from other folks and were really impressed. casual tastings, fantastic scenery, delicious wine. joined both
BSD
AG
If up on Spring Mountain, swing by Barnett.
BSD
AG
quote:

Krug Grande Cuvée
As an aside, we have a bunch of the Krug available for $129/btl. We got 15 cases of it, and have about 5 left. Sorry, no case discounts on this.

I love Krug. I actually had half a glass at French Laundry last month because...well, why not??? I wish I was in the market for a case!!!
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks Ron. We hit Schweiger last year.
d78230
AG
That's a great everyday price on krug. Love that stuff.

My new fave though is vilmart. The coeur de cuvée is fantastic. Stylistically less oxidized than krug but amazing .

cecil77
AG
Thread fell off my watch list and I thought it'd died!

quote:
I am looking for any tips on Cabs that fall at a price point between $30 - $60. Seems like most of the "nice" Cabs sit above $100.
2008 Ramey got 95 from Parker and is around $50. Also, Arger & Martucci cab was on wtso.com the other day cor $25 - no shipping cost for four. It's pretty dang good for the price point. Honestly, there's a bunch of very good to great cabs available for under $60, it just takes some looking.

Spring Mountain - be sure to go by Sherwin Family. Gorgeous setting, and there reserve cab is so good I just ordered more...

Also, got in the Ancillar Pino (four of each) - probably will try some Thursday.

Mirror Howell Mountain arrived last week, along with our Swanson order.

Got in

[This message has been edited by cecil77 (edited 11/25/2013 10:35a).]
rononeill
~50 check out robert craig. also try specs and just give them your price range - they've yet to fail me. i went in looking for a $40ish bottle of right bank bordeaux - said something like: not too tannic and not to minerally, but enough to make it interesting. the guy nailed it with an '04 chateau fombrauge. bought two for the dinner, should have bought a case. haven't been able to find it since...
reload85
retiredintx
AG
and here's a travel tidbit for spring mountain. rent thru vrbo the crowly house. 2 minute walk to barnett, 5 min drive to pride.

awesome place. http://www.vrbo.com/261279

4 couples split, hire in private chef, drivers for tours, great vacation!!

and we're pouring sherwin family tomorrow

[This message has been edited by Bob@StateFarm (edited 11/27/2013 2:56p).]
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks, Bob. That was original plan but other couples faded. Back to the Andaz in Napa,...
cecil77
AG
quote:
and we're pouring sherwin family tomorrow

Two bottles of Sherwin Reserve Cab were very well received at Thanksgiving, especially by two hard to please relatives.
E King Trill
AG
Uncle brought a 6L bottle of silver oak to thanksgiving. Now that is some good wine.
BSD
AG
We had some friends over for the game last night so I opened a 2004 Realm To Kalon cab...even had a glass. So good!
cecil77
AG
Who gets to keep a 6L bottle? That would be pretty cool to have...
bularry
if you shop at Spec's, especially the Smith store, be aware that the guys on the floor get commission. they are going to push wines that pay the most, usually those are the WD (look at the price tags on shelf).

not saying you won't get good recs, but there is a method to what they suggest, so be aware.
HTownAg98
That's why any if you in Austin should find me on Sundays. I've tried most everything in the store, and can make recommendations based on your tastes and budget. My sole compensation is I get to take my wine home at wholesale.
cecil77
AG
HEB 20% off case sale, Fri, Sat, Sun.

Applies to all wine.

What should I buy?
Atty_Ag
HTown,

Which Spec's would that be?

[This message has been edited by Atty_Ag (edited 12/5/2013 12:19p).]
wadd96
AG
Spec's is open on Sundays? News to me ;-)

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
Atty_Ag
True that. I read it as Saturday. Never mind.
HTownAg98
Not Specs. Lake Travis Wine Trader in Lakeway. I'm there every Sunday thru the end of the year.
Atty_Ag
I live just outside Lakeway proper, so that would just be awkward.
HTownAg98
Why would that be awkward?
Atty_Ag
I'm just not good at meeting people from the internet. I know, it's weird.
wadd96
AG
Yeah... last thing I need right now is more wine... hell, I don't have room to store what I have.

Guess it's time to drink up.

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
ColoradoMooseHerd
austinag1997
AG
Heck, I'm in Point Venture. Maybe I'll make my way around the lake on a Sunday soon.

If I didn't have an engagement at Hilmy this Sunday, I'd be over.
cecil77
AG
Well be at Hilmy, too!
austinag1997
AG
Look forward to meeting you Cecil!
HTownAg98
I'd be going to Hilmy too if I wasn't pouring wine.
cecil77
AG
Vinnie or Josh will know if we're there...
HTownAg98
In case you missed it, Hilmy is closed today. You may want to call tomorrow and make sure they are open before venturing out.
cecil77
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Flock party tomorrow, we'll call first.

"Extreme weather." Dry as a bone and 30 degrees.

Only in Texas!
First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.