Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

2,105,196 Views | 13347 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jh0400
ATL Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It will smell off, which can be subtle, I would describe it as musty or maybe wet cardboard. I;ve heard some people describe it as wet dog.

The taste is when it really hits you. In my experience it will leave a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tounge.

SupermachJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Think wet newspaper or if you ever knew anyone in the corps, what their uniform smells like if they got caught in the rain.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another tell that I have gotten is if the aroma is weaker than you'd expect and the fruit flavor just isn't there.
Rocketman84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll have to open one soon now, just out of curiosity.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rocketman84 said:

ATL Aggie said:

Opened a corked bottle of 2013 Cain Five tonight.

That sucks, I got an email recently from Last Bottle about one of those "mystery" bottles I purchased some months ago. They wanted to sell me more of them, so I ordered a couple more. Haven't opened the original, and now, I may be stuck with more bad bottles.

I really haven't run across a bad wine bottle before. What is the best indication of one that has gone bad? Is it pretty subtle, or massive vinegar? I enjoy occasional wine, but I am no expert.

Yeah, this happened to me recently and I asked the same question. We could tell just from the aroma when the bottle was opened, but I didn't say anything at first.

I recently had a bottle shipped to me that was heat-tainted. The telltale sign was the cork protruding from the top, like a mushroom. It had a really funky taste. I bought it from wine.com .... they credited me the cost.
Rocketman84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EclipseAg said:

Rocketman84 said:

ATL Aggie said:

Opened a corked bottle of 2013 Cain Five tonight.

That sucks, I got an email recently from Last Bottle about one of those "mystery" bottles I purchased some months ago. They wanted to sell me more of them, so I ordered a couple more. Haven't opened the original, and now, I may be stuck with more bad bottles.

I really haven't run across a bad wine bottle before. What is the best indication of one that has gone bad? Is it pretty subtle, or massive vinegar? I enjoy occasional wine, but I am no expert.

Yeah, this happened to me recently and I asked the same question. We could tell just from the aroma when the bottle was opened, but I didn't say anything at first.

I recently had a bottle shipped to me that was heat-tainted. The telltale sign was the cork protruding from the top, like a mushroom. It had a really funky taste. I bought it from wine.com .... they credited me the cost.

The two bottles I bought recently, I bought the cool pack and had them held at a UPS drop location due to summer heat. Hoping they don't spend any significant time in a hot delivery truck.
Random Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I opened a Last Bottle 2013 Cain Five a few weeks ago and it was great. Hoping that was a one-off for you.
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a good HH and dinner
after

cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a full day in Chianti next week. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We loved this place. It's owned by a guy who makes metal accessories to go on high end fashion brands. It's his passion project/place to host customers. It's beautiful and loved their wines.

Colle Bereto Winery - Classic Chianti Wine

We also went to Casa Emma. It's more down the middle but enjoyed it as well.
SupermachJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where exactly?

We are huge fans of Salcheto just outside of Montepulciano. We went there on our honeymoon. Very cool winery, everything is biodynamic, the whole cellar is completely gravity fed, and they use very cool skylight tunnels for light. Hard to describe but these metal tunnels are chutes down from the crush pad, so the same skylights are used to transfer grapes to the cellar.

Highly recommend a tour if you'll be near there!

https://salcheto.it/en/

Also would highly recommend the Cugusi dairy farm for a picnic. I think you need to make a reservation but when you show up you get a picnic basket and can choose whatever wine, meats, and cheeses you'd like!

https://www.caseificiocugusi.it








carl spacklers hat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATL Aggie said:

Opened a corked bottle of 2013 Cain Five tonight.


Drank a 2013 purchased via Last Bottle in late June, was excellent.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Casralina in Chianti

Thanks so much!
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One thing I will say about the Cain. It is not in line with what one might consider to be a typical Napa red wine. The style of it is definitely hit or miss for people, as it's a bit more rustic and less fruity.

If you don't like it initially (and it's just personal preference and truly isn't corked), let it sit open for a while a revisit it. Or, even revisit it the next day. I've had some earthier cabs that I preferred on days 2 and even 3 over what they're like the day I open them. If it's truly corked, all bets are off at that point though!
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All the Cain talk makes this a fitting Friday night bottle. Very nice wine. Definitely on the iron/iodine side of red wines. But it is not overbearing at all in that regard. Not much fruit, the other characteristics are more present. Savory.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another wine question for the experts.

When you are buying a bottle as a gift for someone who likes wine but only buys cheap stuff (i.e. Josh, Cupcake), do you:

1) Get them what they usually drink even though you know they know it's inexpensive?
2) Pick something you like in a moderate price range, like a Frog's Leap merlot or a Trefethen cab?
3) Get them a really nice bottle that you know is special but they would have no clue?

This is something I've struggled with recently. I've been going with "B" but wondered what other folks do.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For gifts, I always get people something that wouldn't normally buy. So like a step above what they normally drink. Everyone I know in life has what they need/want at this point, so giving them something new, or out of their ordinary zone, makes it a bit more memorable. Maybe something with a story too. For Christmas in my office, everyone gets a Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot. It's a step above what they would normally drink and I usually get a few notes from the crew at RM to pass along. And I can say something like "compared to last year's vintage, this wine…blah, blah, blah." They love it.
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For gifts, I tend to stick with champagne. Ruinart Blanc de Blancs is my go-to if I'm looking to spend $100 and Taittinger if I want to stay close to $50.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

Everyone I know in life has what they need/want at this point, so giving them something new, or out of their ordinary zone, makes it a bit more memorable. Maybe something with a story too.

I like this ... maybe a note along with the bottle that says "We visited this winery on a recent trip and loved it, and we think you will, too."
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jh0400 said:

For gifts, I tend to stick with champagne. Ruinart Blanc de Blancs is my go-to if I'm looking to spend $100 and Taittinger if I want to stay close to $50.


Champs is our go-to house warming gift when someone gets a new place. .
FriendlyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cecil77 said:

Casralina in Chianti

Thanks so much!


Do you mean Castellina in Chianti? Casralina may be a real place but I couldn't find it on Google Maps.

If castellina, you should go to Tenuta Casanova, assuming you'll have a car. Great experience. Great wines. They do higher end merlot in addition to the normal Sangiovese chianti classico and riservas.

Also, totally not a fancy place but La Cantina in Greve up the road was a great spot. We just happened to stop here driving from Florence to Arrezzo (not the most direct route on purpose!). Classic small town local place where the guy taking your order is also the guy who has his face on the wine. Great local spot. Absolutely not fancy.

I'm sure you have been to Tuscany before, but if not….

Add salt to the bread! Thank me later. That's some very dry and unsalted bread.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They don't add salt to their bread in Perugia. It's a centuries old protest against the Pope.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the finest Chardonnays that we have ever had. Started out citrus-forward, has moved into a leaner profile with a slight flintiness to it. Excellent all around
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! Yes Castallina. Here now. First time!
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks so much for the Colle Bereto tip. Just spent over three and a half hours discussing vineyards, grapes, wine making, wine and the wine industry with Bernardo. Maybe a little medieval history as well. They grow wheat for their own flour and olives for their own olive oil as well a wine The Chiantis you would expect, but also Pinot Noir, including a traditional method sparkling wine, and Merlot. Great steak, some dessert and even a bit of Vin Santo they make for personal consumption. A truly great day.
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. I've got a few bottles still aging but also loved drinking them as soon as we got home. I was unsure on giving the rec because my wine taste is nothing compared to yours and others on this thread.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ordered six each of sparkling, Ch Cl, Pinot, and Merlot. Seems your taste in wine is pretty good!

And one on one with the winemaker is always a treat

And he showed me the Pic of him with Rick Perry visiting in 2019.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice little tasting




Tasting was three of us, all had different #1. For me, it was Lafite, Margaux, Mouton.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is an excellent Super Tuscan, if you want to call it that. But it is 100% Merlot, so it's definitely atypical.

Aroma: black cherry blackberry, toffee, coffee, dark chocolate
Taste: red and black cherries, mocha, sage, thyme, white pepper, leather, fennel

I wouldn't call it savory, it's more herbal and fruit driven. Would age very well I think with its tannin structure. Big tannins but smoothed out and they don't knock you out.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's epic!
FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last Bottle marathon has started for anyone interested.
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday too. I got a couple I'm excited about but some moved very fast and I couldn't click fast enough.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
QBCade said:

Nice little tasting




Tasting was three of us, all had different #1. For me, it was Lafite, Margaux, Mouton.


Incredible!
AGdent07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Yesterday too. I got a couple I'm excited about but some moved very fast and I couldn't click fast enough.


Just curious what did you snag. I tried to purchase a bottle of Mayacamas and it was instantly sold out. Did pick up a bottle of Tor today
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got some Austrian Sauvignon blanc but that's it so far.
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 382 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.