Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

2,107,412 Views | 13358 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by SupermachJM
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since we've been discussing, thought I'd pass this along:

Join Us in Fredericksburg!
2023 Mericana & Cheese Pairing!
Join us this weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, at the Inwood Estates Bistro for a special complimentary tasting experience featuring our 2023 Mericana, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon.
To accompany the tasting, Chef Alex will be offering a curated cheese sampling designed specifically to highlight the wine's character and texture.
The 2023 Mericana continues our focus on balance, freshness, and expressive low-yield Texas fruit, and we're excited to share it with you alongside thoughtfully paired cheeses in a relaxed setting.
No reservation is required, but seating is limited and available on a first-come basis.
We hope to see you at Inwood soon.
Also, our Dallas location will be closed this Saturday (5/30) for a private event.
Inwood Estates Vineyards
10303 E US Hwy 290
Fredericksburg, TX
Your Inwood Team!
Inwood Estates Vineyards
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Dan had a small vineyard in his backyard back then.


The last year of production of the Dallas backyard Chardonnay was a few years ago. The vines are 25+ years old and it just wasn't worth it. The last vintage of the City of Dallas Chardonnay is just about sold out. It was such a cool story. Montrachet style Chardonnay grown in the middle of Dallas. Dijon clones. Had to be the hottest Chard vineyard on the planet. Harvest late July or early August in Dallas.




This was at his former home in Florence. Probably a total of 25 vines. Hobby type stuff. He had a bigger vineyard there, but I suspect it was owned by The Vineyard at Florence. He likely helped them get started and had his own tasting room there.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few new acquisitions…


cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Dallas home became untenable when the property taxes were moving towards six figures. The Floirence (Tuscan Villa) had a Petit vineyard. Grapes weren't really produced I don't think. The Florence project was the idea to have a country club w/ a vineyard instead of a golf course. It was poorly managed and just too far from Austin metropex at the time. 2013 moved to FBurg. Last Florence Gatlin wine was (I think 2014 or 2015)

The Inwood Road vineyard (hence Inwood Estates) was planted in about 1997.

Ironically enough, this is a pulled Cabernet vine from the Inwood Road vineyard from about 10 years ago that was pulled up, so now it hangs in our wine room.

WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At vintage for screaming? Where did you buy?
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really interested in the details of your Screaming Eagle! I've been on the wait list for a few years now and haven't heard anything.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd be interested to know what occasions you open Screagle?
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I opened a screaming eagle a few years ago. Blind tasting with a screaming eagle, Harbison, the vineyard next to SE - Russel Bevan Makes the wine) and Macdonald.

You would be surprised to find out the SE did not finish first.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never tried myself, but from conversations over the years, I'm actually not surprised..
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dsvogel05 said:

Really interested in the details of your Screaming Eagle! I've been on the wait list for a few years now and haven't heard anything.


My Screagle story: I signed up for the waitlist in 1999. I was living in Denton at the time and gave them that address and also the email address that I still use to this day. I then moved to Dallas and then to Houston. I emailed them around 2012 with an update request and they said they must have sent me a snail mail to the Denton address but I never responded so they dropped me off the list. I'm an email guy so never thought to update the physical address with them. So all that said, they put me in the back of the line and I'll never get a chance to buy direct.

Monica and David (God rest his soul) from 750 Wines offered me a bottle once for an ok price but knowing my taste, they said there were probably bottles I'd like better (and could get 4 for the same price as the Screagle), so I passed.

Still…someday I need to try it and the rest of the first growths I've yet to sample.
FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd have been more surprised at 1st than I would 3rd.

Heading to Napa as we speak and really looking forward to landing in Santa Rosa instead of SFO or Sacramento.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WestUAg said:

At vintage for screaming? Where did you buy?


2003. Christie's.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WestUAg said:

I opened a screaming eagle a few years ago. Blind tasting with a screaming eagle, Harbison, the vineyard next to SE - Russel Bevan Makes the wine) and Macdonald.

You would be surprised to find out the SE did not finish first.



Nice lineup. Not totally surprised. It's more a bucket list thing. Frankly, more excited about the Latour and Margaux - especially the 82.
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West U Or QB, are either one of you involved in the wine industry?
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAco07 said:

I'd have been more surprised at 1st than I would 3rd.

Heading to Napa as we speak and really looking forward to landing in Santa Rosa instead of SFO or Sacramento.

STS is great if you can route through it!
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

FTAco07 said:

I'd have been more surprised at 1st than I would 3rd.

Heading to Napa as we speak and really looking forward to landing in Santa Rosa instead of SFO or Sacramento.

STS is great if you can route through it!


It looks like UA dropped service to STS. I like flying in there, but being Houston-based makes it a challenge. IMO, flying AA without status is by far the worst way to fly on any major carrier, and Southwest requires a tight layover or multiple connections. Last time I went to Napa, we flew into SFO on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving ad spent four hours in traffic. Next time we go I'm seriously considering flying into SFO and taking Blade up to Napa.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't f'ing stand SFO. Like you said, it's hours of traffic going north. Or potentially missing your flight on the way back down. We fly a lot Southwest since we've had a companion pass for 13 years. It's not my favorite airline but flights into SMF for free are nice (and driving the back roads into Napa are fun.

SJC would be nice too if Cade ever clears his schedule
FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is STS isn't an option Sacramento is much easier than SFO unless you want the scenic drive
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dsvogel05 said:

West U Or QB, are either one of you involved in the wine industry?


No. Only an alcoholic.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

I can't f'ing stand SFO. Like you said, it's hours of traffic going north. Or potentially missing your flight on the way back down. We fly a lot Southwest since we've had a companion pass for 13 years. It's not my favorite airline but flights into SMF for free are nice (and driving the back roads into Napa are fun.

SJC would be nice too if Cade ever clears his schedule


Let me know when you're out next. Napa place is finally ready - brutal remodel.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
QBCade said:

It's more a bucket list thing. Frankly, more excited about the Latour and Margaux - especially the 82.


Same for me. I'll drink one someday. It's still pretty high on my list. But, 82 Margaux is higher!
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
QBCade said:

Let me know when you're out next. Napa place is finally ready - brutal remodel.


Will do. Will check with the wife. Or leave her behind and bring WestU.

Finally!!!!! Glad to hear it's done.
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

I can't f'ing stand SFO. Like you said, it's hours of traffic going north. Or potentially missing your flight on the way back down. We fly a lot Southwest since we've had a companion pass for 13 years. It's not my favorite airline but flights into SMF for free are nice (and driving the back roads into Napa are fun.

SJC would be nice too if Cade ever clears his schedule


I've never attempted to drive from Napa / Sonoma / Santa Rosa to SFO on the day of my flight. We usually drive back late the day before, get a room at the airport Marriott, and take the earliest flight possible home. Next trip we'll probably go into SMF (still a kick in the nuts since I prefer Sonoma to Napa) and out of SFO or SJC.
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

QBCade said:

Let me know when you're out next. Napa place is finally ready - brutal remodel.


Will do. Will check with the wife. Or leave her behind and bring WestU.

Finally!!!!! Glad to hear it's done.


My new job has an office in SJC that I'm expected to make an appearance at every so often. Just saying.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
senorchipotle said:

cecil... if you can wait 15 years i'll gladly share it with you. apparently the '07 is just as good, and quite cheaper, than the '05 which was thought to be the best year in quite a while. and it's only a split, btw.

[This message has been edited by senorchipotle (edited 10/12/2011 7:23p).]

Cecil ... I think it's time to collect.

Reading this thread from the beginning is a hoot.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have never personally done the Sacramento route, but take a look at Oakland too. That drive from the Oakland airport to Napa is generally less of a trek than the SFO route, depending on traffic conditions and all.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I have never personally done the Sacramento route, but take a look at Oakland too. That drive from the Oakland airport to Napa is generally less of a trek than the SFO route, depending on traffic conditions and all.


This is the best advice
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EclipseAg said:

senorchipotle said:

cecil... if you can wait 15 years i'll gladly share it with you. apparently the '07 is just as good, and quite cheaper, than the '05 which was thought to be the best year in quite a while. and it's only a split, btw.

[This message has been edited by senorchipotle (edited 10/12/2011 7:23p).]

Cecil ... I think it's time to collect.

Reading this thread from the beginning is a hoot.


Wow, Texags gold... Looks like he hasn't posted since 2023 though.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dinner in Vegas last night at Bazaar Meat - '96 Lynch Bages, 2016 Ream Houyi, a pig leg from Spain, and some cows from Japan. Not pictured are the cotton candy foie gras, and the caviar cones…among other things. It was a great meal!







QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

Dinner in Vegas last night at Bazaar Meat - '96 Lynch Bages, 2016 Ream Houyi, a pig leg from Spain, and some cows from Japan. Not pictured are the cotton candy foie gras, and the caviar cones…among other things. It was a great meal!










Nice!
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mini vertical of LB today at lunch. 2000, 2005, 2016. I have a '74 but don't plan on opening it.
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Listen, I normally let people have their own opinions and all that. But someone really sent me off above.

To the person that slammed SFO:


I fly a lot, perticarly the west. The SFO Harvey Milk terminal is far and away my favorite terminal in the US. This video explains some of that

Am I influenced because you can drink a Pliny or Blind Pig in SFO? Damn right I am. But most everything - - noise, logistics, restaurants, Admirals Club, security - - SFO is exceptional. Sucks to rent a car there. And obviously the new terminal is different than the rest of SFO.

Internationally of course Doha, Seoul, Istanbul, Dubai etc would be nicer. But in the US, SFO is the most peaceful airport and I use it a lot. And yeah, most of the time I am not going to Napa but Palo Alto or the city or therabouts. SJC can be quick if going to my customers in the valley but it is amenity free.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ever drive from SFO to Napa or Santa Rosa? It suuuuuuccccckkkkssss. That's what we're complaining about.
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

Ever drive from SFO to Napa or Santa Rosa? It suuuuuuccccckkkkssss. That's what we're complaining about.

I know I know. I just like SFO
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd give anything if JSX would add a Houston to Napa flight.
First Page Last Page
Page 373 of 382 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.