Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,398,427 Views | 11028 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by EclipseAg
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What did you think of CDv? How was jacks cooking?
Orozco05
It's a beautiful space. We have had several tastings there. Didn't realize there was a full kitchen there until Thursday.

Jack is a good people and I'm always impressed with his knowledge. His cooking was damn good.
WestUAg
AG
We have probably met there.
AggieDad24
Just got back from Bordeaux last Sunday. Visited Domaine de Chevalier, Chteau Pape Clement and Le Dome. Picked this up while I was there.

cecil77
AG
Very jealous!

How was Pape Clement visit. Did you see their sorting line?
AggieDad24
It was really nice. I did not see the sorting line. We did a wine and cheese tasting there where they paired six different wines with six different cheeses. It was really convenient because it was very close to Bordeaux city where we were staying. We actually went to Domaine de la Solitude that day as well..

cecil77
AG
hey way they use over 80 people on the line. Would be cool to see...
QBCade
AG
AggieDad24 said:

Just got back from Bordeaux last Sunday. Visited Domaine de Chevalier, Chteau Pape Clement and Le Dome. Picked this up while I was there.

When are you going to pop this sucker?
AggieDad24
Pretty soon because it's on the other side of its drinking window. Also, I'm not sure if it was stored properly even though the capsule and cork are intact, it's at the low shoulder as far as the fill level
QBCade
AG
AggieDad24 said:

Pretty soon because it's on the other side of its drinking window. Also, I'm not sure if it was stored properly even though the capsule and cork are intact, it's at the low shoulder as far as the fill level

Little low, but not totally surprising given the age. Let us know how it is.
cecil77
AG
I have a '75 Ch Montrose. Not a first growth of course (second), but it would be fun to compare experiences. Post when you open it!
bularry
streetfighter2012 said:

Looking for recommendations in the Santa Barbara area. For a quick weekend excursion as part of a longer trip to LA. We will have a car so can stop in at tasting rooms in town, or can visit vineyards out from town.
if you want to do wine stuff, I wouldn't go into Santa Barbara... stay out in the valleys (Los Olivos, Los Alamos, Lompoc, etc)

And eat one meal at Industrial Eats in Beullton..even though the founding chef recently passed away, it is an awesome place
bularry
Orozco05 said:

It's a beautiful space. We have had several tastings there. Didn't realize there was a full kitchen there until Thursday.

Jack is a good people and I'm always impressed with his knowledge. His cooking was damn good.
Jack is amazing wine guy, especially Bordeaux..

which distributor you work with? If you do any events at AOC wear a 'hi from texags' sign and i'll say hello
QBCade
AG
aggiejumper said:

It's superb if you like Cab Franc heavy blends. Buy the 13's if you can.

Grabbed a 2pack of the '13s on auction. Going to try this wknd.
JCA1
AG
QBCade said:

aggiejumper said:

This may have come up previously, but if you like cab franc, I highly recommend Detert. It's a relative bargain at $100/bottle for To Kalon grapes (it's amazing what I consider to be a bargain compared to a few years ago).
QBCade
AG
JCA1 said:

QBCade said:

aggiejumper said:

This may have come up previously, but if you like cab franc, I highly recommend Detert. It's a relative bargain at $100/bottle for To Kalon grapes (it's amazing what I consider to be a bargain compared to a few years ago).

Thnx for recommending. I'll keep an eye out for it.
BSD
AG
JCA1 said:

QBCade said:

aggiejumper said:

Ask for the East Block allocation, too. It's $175, though. It's right across the path from MacDonald (cousins).
Orozco05
Haha. My teammate works with AOC but I do attend some of the tasting events they put on. I mostly attend the industry tastings.

I'm with RNDC. There are several of us from the company that lurk on this site.
HTownAg98
JCA1 said:

QBCade said:

aggiejumper said:

Second this. I had a Detert cab franc a couple weeks ago, and it was exceptional.
cecil77
AG

From Detert:
Quote:

The replant brings new diversity to our vineyard, including expansions of our family's heritage clones of Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon as well as additional clones of Cabernet Franc

I'm confident it's Clone 214

Quote:

Highest rating; characterized by raspberry and violet flavors in France; a high performance warm vintage clone with dark fruit flavors, tannin structure and less green, herbal flavors
https://enoviti-hanumangirl.blogspot.com/2015/01/cabernet-franc-clones.html

Entav-Inra Class "A" clone

https://selections.entav-inra.fr/en/clones/214

I'm gonna get some.

AggieDad24
Few more from my Bordeaux trip.

1986 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
2001 Montrose
2014 Cos D'Estournel

and these 2 were waiting for me when I got home

ATL Aggie
AG
This is a first for me. I had a couple bottles delieverd this week that appear to have frozen or been expoxsed to high heat during shipping. AO made up for it by overnighting replacements.

I am looking forward to opening them this weekend for a tasting for my own curiosity/education to see the effects of temperature.

streetfighter2012
AG
The hotel in SB was booked as part of a larger group. We are driving up from LA Friday morning and thinking we will do a few tasting rooms in town that afternoon and then drive up to try a few vineyards for the day on Saturday. Looks like there are 20-30 tasting rooms within a mile or two of our hotel downtown and then 100+ within an hours drive. Just looking for some suggestions that people might have experience with.
BSD
AG
I'm very curious to hear your results.
bularry
streetfighter2012 said:

The hotel in SB was booked as part of a larger group. We are driving up from LA Friday morning and thinking we will do a few tasting rooms in town that afternoon and then drive up to try a few vineyards for the day on Saturday. Looks like there are 20-30 tasting rooms within a mile or two of our hotel downtown and then 100+ within an hours drive. Just looking for some suggestions that people might have experience with.
Is Whitcraft in town? Can't remember, their wine is a bit pricey but pretty good. Does Tyler have a tasting room in SB proper? If so, worth checking out.

I went to a couple when I stayed one night in SB and both were very average, can't remember which ones they were, though, so sorry about that.

If you want to visit a vineyard/tasting room Rideau is a fun one to visit near Los Olivos. If you have a weekend and a group, might want to reach out to Stolpman. They might do something on their property for your group if you commit to a certain volume purchase.

And if you go into Los Olivos I'm a huge fan of Liquid Farm. They don't own vineyards, so just a tasting room, but they'll sell BTG in the tasting room and it is a fun hang. And grab a meal at Bar Le Cote
Chipotlemonger
AG
bularry said:

streetfighter2012 said:

Is Whitcraft in town? Can't remember, their wine is a bit pricey but pretty good. Does Tyler have a tasting room in SB proper? If so, worth checking out.

I went to a couple when I stayed one night in SB and both were very average, can't remember which ones they were, though, so sorry about that.

If you want to visit a vineyard/tasting room Rideau is a fun one to visit near Los Olivos. If you have a weekend and a group, might want to reach out to Stolpman. They might do something on their property for your group if you commit to a certain volume purchase.

And if you go into Los Olivos I'm a huge fan of Liquid Farm. They don't own vineyards, so just a tasting room, but they'll sell BTG in the tasting room and it is a fun hang. And grab a meal at Bar Le Cote
From my visit there in November, I agree with these recs. Liquid Farms has a great deal in pouring out their rose for a $5 glass! Believe the bottle was priced at $28, so they really discount it in their own tasting room as a glass. It was a great mourvedre rose too.

Secondly, I wish I could give even more thumbs up for Bar Le Cote. We loved it so much that we went back a day or 2 later.
QBCade
AG
Another new one. Delicious.

BSD
AG
Nice. I haven't had a bottle of that in over a decade. I remember the 2005 as being quite good. Perhaps I need to add a few…
QBCade
AG
Happy Friday

AggieDad24
So I posted a picture above of the 2018 Cheval des Andes I purchased from B21 in Florida. I have ordered a few things through them as their prices are good, they ship by refrigerated truck and shipping is reasonable. I was a bit disappointed that the labels had stains on them but I don't intend on drinking the labels so it wasn't that big of a deal. The capsules are intact and it appears that the stains came from another bottle that may have busted while the shipment was in transit to them. I did email them to see if I could possibly swap out the bottles and I offered to eat the cost of shipping them back if they would agree to it. I got this email yesterday:

"Dear Sir,
We see that you have placed several orders with us and we are sorry that your most recent order did not meet your or our expectations. I can assure you that we were unaware of the issue when it shipped. We have shipped you two new bottles and there is no need to return the previous shipment to us. Again we apologize and we hope that this gesture will ensure your repeat business in the future."

A+ customer service and I will definitely order from them again
WestUAg
AG
Yesterday's breakfast
WestUAg
AG
And dessert
QBCade
AG
Impressive. Quite the appetite. Surprising you're alive today.
JCA1
AG
I'm barely alive today.

Thanks again WestUAg for an awesome night!

bularry
holy **** that's a lot of cab
First Page Last Page
Page 289 of 316

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.