Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,585 Views | 10413 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by QBCade
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really enjoy this.

jh0400
AG
We had this at dinner last night. I'd forgotten how much I like red burgundy.
HTownAg98
752bro4 said:

Let's see how this pairs with athletic disappointment.

I feel like we may be doing a lot of that this year.

I got to try the 2017 cab releases from O'Shaughnessy, Pride, and Chappellet yesterday. All were excellent wines, with the O'Shaughnessy being my favorite. Those that poo-poo this vintage are mistaken, but I would try a sample of something before throwing a wad of cash at it to make sure there isn't any smoke taint.
HTownAg98
First wine of the day. I know cecil will appreciate the clones listed.

Next, a wine to pair with chicken soup. Sad about the winery burning down, but kind of miffed at the new ownership. I'll probably buy up to the 2018s, and then I'll be looking for another Napa cab wine club.

Finally, an interesting garnacha from of all places, Madrid. All unoaked and aged in concrete and stainless steel. Way over-delivers for its $9 price tag.
cecil77
AG
Yes I do think showing clones is cool!

IMO in 20 years it will be standard on better wines.
bularry
cecil77 said:

what about yeast strains? commercial yeast strains are more flavor impactful.. of course the better wines generally use natural yeast, but still
cecil77
AG
bularry said:

cecil77 said:

what about yeast strains? commercial yeast strains are more flavor impactful.. of course the better wines generally use natural yeast, but still

At some point things get proprietary, so I doubt it gets that far.

And if by "natural yeast" you mean wind born and not purchased/inoculated, I have to disagree. Relatively few winemakers trust the quality of their wine to (literally) the direction the wind is blowing during fermentation! I've been around a couple of Napa winemakers (mentioned a bunch on this thread) discussing what yeast strains they've tried, discarded, are using, etc.

And yes, the yeasts use is a significant part of the process. There are even yeasts now that eat bacteria instead of sugar and can be used to attempt to rehabilitate grapes that have some bacteria.
JM04
AG
Inglenook is doing their 50% off sale today. Looks like most all their wines are at 50%.

Promo code INGFLASH
cecil77
AG
Thank YOU!

Those are real "stock up" prices...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So you Napa and Willamette guys may scoff at us, but we have some pretty awesome wineries here in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon. Irvine and Roberts is by far our favorite. Beautiful day for a Fall Wine Club release!

Jono85
AG
Friends and Family Discount at HESS have to buy a case. MacPhail Pinot is great.

https://www.hesscollection.com/friends-family/?orderSourceCode=MatthewWood&fbclid=IwAR0Fl9YtdunOJRLzFwLPATTjmPh0mInFsxC3Yg3C7AXXO9QE36uExjidjmE

greenband
AG
Jono85 said:

Friends and Family Discount at HESS have to buy a case. MacPhail Pinot is great.

https://www.hesscollection.com/friends-family/?orderSourceCode=MatthewWood&fbclid=IwAR0Fl9YtdunOJRLzFwLPATTjmPh0mInFsxC3Yg3C7AXXO9QE36uExjidjmE

Is it a lighter or heavier Pinot? Asking because I love Pinot Noir but mostly drink Cab.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where has this thread gone?!

Alright I'll bump it. I'm having a nice Pinot from the Santa Rita Hills in Santa Barbara. What regions do y'all tend to explore most when it comes to Pinot Noir? Oregon or bust? All over? Or straight up Burgundy ($$$)?

Apparently there are some New Zealand pinots that sounds well, and I've heard it's growing more in Chile too.
jh0400
AG
I enjoy Pinot Noir from all over. I love Burgundy, but that can get expensive. We'll drink RRV, Sonoma Coast, or Williamette depending on our mood and what we have on hand. I also really like the ones from Alto Adige, but there isn't a lot of availability in most of the stores here.
BSD
AG
We've bought a few wines recently:
2018 Ch Climens Asphodele
2018 Roy Piper
2018 Myriad Napa
2018 Rivers Marie (a couple of all the cabs)
2018 Pott Napa Valley
2017 Detert East Block cab franc
2009 Ch. LaGrange
2018 Realm Bard
MacDonald
2012 Cristal
1964 Campo Viejo Riserva
1990 Ch Suduirat
1985 Ch Climens
William & Mary (as mentioned a few pages back)
2004 Pontet Canet
1998 Ch Leoville Las Cases
2004 Ch Leovile Barton
2015 Hoopes cab
2015 The Paring Cab
2018 A et P Fe Villiane Aligote
Several Potts including a Sauternes-style Napa white
1998 Dalla Valle Maya

There's no way I can drink most of these, especially since we bought many multiples of several of them, but having a glass of each should be fun.
cecil77
AG
I'd love to see the list if you "didn't drink much now"...
MooreTrucker
AG
BSD said:

There's no way I can drink most of these, especially since we bought many multiples of several of them, but having a glass of each should be fun.
Well, if you're just gonna throw them out anyway,.........
bularry
BSD said:

We've bought a few wines recently:
2018 Ch Climens Asphodele
2018 Roy Piper
2018 Myriad Napa
2018 Rivers Marie (a couple of all the cabs)
2018 Pott Napa Valley
2017 Detert East Block cab franc
2009 Ch. LaGrange
2018 Realm Bard
MacDonald
2012 Cristal
1964 Campo Viejo Riserva
1990 Ch Suduirat
1985 Ch Climens
William & Mary (as mentioned a few pages back)
2004 Pontet Canet
1998 Ch Leoville Las Cases
2004 Ch Leovile Barton
2015 Hoopes cab
2015 The Paring Cab
2018 A et P Fe Villiane Aligote
Several Potts including a Sauternes-style Napa white
1998 Dalla Valle Maya

I've got the '04 Pontet Canet. Not a heralded vintage. thinking about opening this wine some time these holidays... how about yourself?
bularry
Chipotlemonger said:

Where has this thread gone?!

Alright I'll bump it. I'm having a nice Pinot from the Santa Rita Hills in Santa Barbara. What regions do y'all tend to explore most when it comes to Pinot Noir? Oregon or bust? All over? Or straight up Burgundy ($$$)?

Apparently there are some New Zealand pinots that sounds well, and I've heard it's growing more in Chile too.
I think Santa Rita Hills produces the best domestically but there are some clunkers out there in this area... I also buy some from Sonoma Coast and Santa Cruz area...

I don't buy much Burgundy because I'm ignorant of producers, but I've had some good ones under $100. I just have to have someone point them out to me.
BSD
AG
bularry said:

I've got the '04 Pontet Canet. Not a heralded vintage. thinking about opening this wine some time these holidays... how about yourself?

Same here. I got it at a decent price so figured why not. In fact, we'll also drink the Campo Viejo, Las Cases, Barton, and Maya over the holidays (which includes wife's birthday). We'll keep the Sauternes on their sides for another few years.
BSD
AG
In the next few years, I'm hoping to add more aged BDX, champagne that is ready to drink, and champagne to age. And always in the market for Yquem. My wife has a big birthday next year so a 1971 Yquem is currently being sought. I may also get a '66 Dom for that night. And maybe some Margaux. Not sure which vintage on that, but I love that wine...I just can't afford too much of it.

I'd buy Burgs, but I am also ignorant on those producers. I have a mixed case of DRC to drink with me son when he gets older. For my quick pinot fix, I buy Sonoma Coast pinots from Rivers Marie, mainly. I also buy Thomas from Oregon. Interestingly, I love pinot a a lot more these days than when I could drink a lot.

Chipotlemonger
AG
BSD said:

I have a mixed case of DRC to drink with me son when he gets older.
Hot Damn.
BSD
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

BSD said:

Hot Damn.

Pirate talk, amirite?
MooreTrucker
AG
BSD said:

Chipotlemonger said:

BSD said:

Hot Damn.

Pirate talk, amirite?
Yaaaarrrrrrr
aggiecive
AG
Are you looking to adopt?
JCA1
AG
aggiecive said:

Are you looking to adopt?

You're at least 3rd in line.
big-ag
AG
"29th" birthday dinner.
HTownAg98
Slightly off topic: how many corkscrews do you own? I counted them at our place this afternoon, and I think we have 10. Eight in the house, and one in each car.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Date night

BullSprig07
AG
IDK but I have too many that were gifted to me cause people found out I was in to wine and 90% suck. As a former barkeep at a restaurant with a nice wine program, give me a standard wine key any day and I'll open 5 bottles to the average suburban mom's one with whatever kitchy wine tool of the week they got gifted at the last bunko night
bularry
i have several keys from various wineries and one ah so.
bularry
BSD said:

bularry said:

Same here. I got it at a decent price so figured why not. In fact, we'll also drink the Campo Viejo, Las Cases, Barton, and Maya over the holidays (which includes wife's birthday). We'll keep the Sauternes on their sides for another few years.
sounds like a good time! Drinking a wine from '64 would be pretty interesting
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have 2 at home I think. We don;t like to keep too many redundant items like that.

Would love to get an Ah So wine opener and try those out. I don't have (m)any older bottles for those though.
bularry
HTownAg98 said:

752bro4 said:

Let's see how this pairs with athletic disappointment.

I feel like we may be doing a lot of that this year.

I got to try the 2017 cab releases from O'Shaughnessy, Pride, and Chappellet yesterday. All were excellent wines, with the O'Shaughnessy being my favorite. Those that poo-poo this vintage are mistaken, but I would try a sample of something before throwing a wad of cash at it to make sure there isn't any smoke taint.
they can hide smoke taint.
BSD
AG
We probably have 3 or 4 corkscrews at home. we also keep one in each suitcase!
First Page Last Page
Page 222 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.