Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,260,076 Views | 10410 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by cecil77
752bro4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brought home our 1st born today. The wife has had this bottle earmarked since pregnancy started to celebrate.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Congratulations!
BSD
AG
752bro4 said:

Brought home our 1st born today. The wife has had this bottle earmarked since pregnancy started to celebrate.

Congrats!!!

Edit: should be a thumbs up!!!!! I suck.
752bro4
AG
Thanks! Should hopefully be some post-worthy bottles to be opened as soon as we figure this parenting thing out!
BSD
AG
752bro4 said:

Thanks! Should hopefully be some post-worthy bottles to be opened as soon as we figure this parenting thing out!

Let me know when you do figure it out. I'm 11 years in and still suck at it.
cecil77
AG
BSD said:

752bro4 said:

Let me know when you do figure it out. I'm 11 years in and still suck at it.

Thirty years in. Best parenting advice I ever got came from Texags, and it was when mine were becoming teens:

"Remember that the goal of being a parent is to raise a great 35 year old, not a great 15 year old."
MooreTrucker
AG
Congrats!!!

Almost 30 years in myself. Both are married, out on their own, and successful.

You will survive this.
big-ag
AG
Saturday night.
HTownAg98
It was steak and Zinfandel night at our house.
BSD
AG
A few wines we took to a weekend with some friends in the Chicago burbs.

Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife and I and another couple we were going on vacation with had a cancelled vacation celebration night.

cecil77
AG
Wowzers!!! (I guess my invitation got lost in the mail... )
BSD
AG
Oh, you like to travel? We're going to Alaska in a few weeks. Y'all should join us.
HTownAg98
With all the wine everyone opened last night, it must have been a biodynamic fruit day.
HTownAg98
Chinon that tastes like cab franc and not bell peppers? Yes please.
cecil77
AG
I do like a little spice to my CF though, but more in the capsaicin range than bell pepper. Lots of good CF from Touraine!
JCA1
AG
FYI, I was wondering through the Bunker Hill HEB yesterday and they had the 2017 Scarecrow M. Etain for $199 ($179 if you buy a mixed half case). When you factor in shipping, I believe that's considerably less than it costs direct from the winery.
Austintm
JCA1 said:

FYI, I was wondering through the Bunker Hill HEB yesterday and they had the 2017 Scarecrow M. Etain for $199 ($179 if you buy a mixed half case). When you factor in shipping, I believe that's considerably less than it costs direct from the winery.
You would be correct. I've ordered the last 2 years. Last year was $195 /bottle. Shipping was $50 for a 2-pack.
HTownAg98
The wife and I are going to the Willamette Valey on Thursday. I've got tastings set up at Argyle, Adelsheim, Evening Land, Bethel Heights, Domaine Droughin, Domaine Serene, and Penney Ash. Dinners are at Joel Palmer House and La Rambla. I'm going to cook one night, and we'll order pizza one night. I'm stoked.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome!
Pedro Cerano
AG
HTownAg98 - Try to hit Brick House and Soter if you get a chance. Both are at the very top or Oregon pinot for me, and you don't see them in Texas much (if ever). If you could only do one, do Brick House for the combination of the wine and cool, intimate setup.
Straight ball, I hit very much.
MooreTrucker
AG
What's the status/rules for tasting rooms in Fredericksburg this weekend?
Tumble Weed
Bruce Almighty said:

My wife and I and another couple we were going on vacation with had a cancelled vacation celebration night.

Nice juice! I would love to try each one of the selections.

If I am serving 6 bottles for 4 people, the first two would be high end, and I would play defense the rest of the night with $50 bottles.

Were those poured in that order?
cecil77
AG
I can't speak to all, but the TABC has issued guidelines.

For Inwood:

Wine sales by both the bottle and glass are allowed in our Reserve Room. Spot tastings (like a Baskin Robbins sample) are OK as well. No "over the bar" tasting presentations.

The bistro, both indoors and out is open, but wine can't be purchased in the Bistro, only food. But you can take the wine you just purchased in the Reserve Room and walk the five feet in to the Bistro to sit and enjoy your wine.

The deck and grove outside are also open!

I think you will find similar situations at most locations.

The 290 Wine Shuttle is running.

So come on out and enjoy some Texas wines!

Bruce Almighty
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Bruce Almighty said:

If I am serving 6 bottles for 4 people, the first two would be high end, and I would play defense the rest of the night with $50 bottles.

I don't remember the exact order, but we drank them over the course of about 6 hours. We had the two mid range bottles first with afternoon apps, the two most expensive with an early dinner and the two cheapest with a late dessert.
TP Ag '87
AG
Damn. A week too late,...
cecil77
AG
We got the letter last Friday at 3pm, so were open Saturday, but too late for many to make plans...

Let me know next time. thanks!
Tumble Weed
Bruce Almighty said:

Tumble Weed said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I don't remember the exact order, but we drank them over the course of about 6 hours. We had the two mid range bottles first with afternoon apps, the two most expensive with an early dinner and the two cheapest with a late dessert.
Which one was your favorite?

What did you serve for the meal?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Tumble Weed said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Which one was your favorite?

What did you serve for the meal?
We were all in agreement with the Mouton Rothschild was the best.

We had gougeres, charcuterie and cheese for the appetizer, beef bourguignon made with waygu short ribs for dinner and creme brulee and truffles for dessert.
MooreTrucker
kappmeyer
Boom. Thanks for sharing that photo. Beautiful.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone ever had a Methode Carbonique wine?

This winery out here in Southern Oregon does some weird styles, but I found this one pretty interesting. It's a Grenache using that methode carbonique style so kind of bubbly but not really. Tasted pretty good. Had a bit of weird bite to it from the carbonation I guess?

More on the style:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_maceration

Also forgot, the winery is owned by Texans. Gave us enough incentive to join the wine club.
FarmerJohn
AG
So like a dry Lambrusco? A frizzante secco? That's a nice summer wine.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've had some carbonic macerated wine and have enjoyed it. Pretty neat technique!
HTownAg98
Funny you bring that up. This Pinot I had yesterday was made from the grapes that my wife's former student grew. It's a fun forced carbonic.

The Chardonnay is from the winery where he uses their facility to make his own wine.

And his girlfriend's dog Archer says "Hi! Me again!! Please throw stick!!"
First Page Last Page
Page 213 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.